Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you fear violence and rioting if Obama is defeated in 2012
Yes 22 12.29%
No 144 80.45%
Depends on how close the race is 13 7.26%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 08:26 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,585,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedjat View Post
Actually no, the amount of taxes taken out has to do w/what your exceptions are. I claim the lowest therefore more taxes are taken out of my paychecks so I DON'T owe at the end of the year.
You missed the point entirely. The tax rate hasn't changed, but the percentage taken from your paycheck has. Some people who didn't change the witholding amount and were recieving small refunds are now paying at the end of the year. People who were recieving large refunds are getting smaller refunds. You still owe those taxes.

I am not referring to your specific situation or your exceptions, everyone knows exceptions are taken into account. What I am referring to specifically is the smaller percentage of taxes taken out of your paycheck.

This is a tax deferment disguised as a tax break, designed to stimulate the economy by putting more money in the hands of taxpayers short term. Many people are shocked at the end of the year when they owe the government money instead of the other way around. Yes, it could be avoided by changing your witholdings, but many people don't realize what is happening to begin with.

Last edited by jhadorn; 03-01-2010 at 08:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 08:57 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,078,382 times
dcs, half the country still approves Obama. And if you didn't vote for Bush, who did you vote for? David Duke?

Old 03-01-2010, 09:30 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,682,721 times
Exclamation Not From Me, There Won't

Look...I'm as big an Obama supporter as you'll find here...voted for him in 2008, and will again in 2012...but if he loses, then HE LOSES!

I'm an American citizen, and as such, I'm not gonna jump up and down and hold my breath and pout over an election...I will then throw my support behind the winning candidate, whomever they might be, and then observe how things play out...that's the way it's always been, and I see no reason to play it any differently

Anyone who who even hints at something as rock-dumb stupid as riots over an Obama loss, should submit themselves for treatment immediately...something like that makes absolutely no sense, and smells like more fear-mongering to me

Old 03-01-2010, 11:03 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,541,100 times
The irrationally angry Tea Party mob (lead by Limbaugh, Coulter, Palin, Beck, Cheney, Hannity) is what scares me the most.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:06 AM

305 posts, read 360,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The irrationally angry Tea Party mob (lead by Limbaugh, Coulter, Palin, Beck, Cheney, Hannity) is what scares me the most.
wow....sounds like some 'fear-mongerers' have gotten to you...are you seeing a doctor about that anxiety of yours?

Old 03-01-2010, 11:21 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,541,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneSentinel View Post
wow....sounds like some 'fear-mongerers' have gotten to you...are you seeing a doctor about that anxiety of yours?
The Tea Party movement is becoming more radical and hopefully the divisions amongst their "type" will cause it collapse upon itself. Especially after the Scott Brown "betrayal"; I mean how dare he vote with the Democrats, doesn't he know that the Tea Party owns him?

Old 03-01-2010, 11:26 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,706,964 times
Quote:
The Tea Party movement is becoming more radical and hopefully the divisions amongst their "type" will cause it collapse upon itself. Especially after the Scott Brown "betrayal"; I mean how dare he vote with the Democrats, doesn't he know that the Tea Party owns him?

But in every cloud there is a Silver lining. Selling Suicide Belts to the really dedicated American Taliban should be a great opportunity

Grab your guns and bring it on

Old 03-01-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
If a 'Tea Party' supporter indicated that sentinment, they are a bit clueless...this supporter is not. I have my doubts that we are going to go away very quickly.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
But in every cloud there is a Silver lining. Selling Suicide Belts to the really dedicated American Taliban should be a great opportunity

Grab your guns and bring it on
?? What are you talking about?

Old 03-01-2010, 11:37 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,191,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneSentinel View Post
If a 'Tea Party' supporter indicated that sentinment, they are a bit clueless...this supporter is not. I have my doubts that we are going to go away very quickly.
Just like the supporters of Perot, John Anderson and George Wallace. Populist movements in America have the habit of fading away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies