Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 01:59 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

lol, lol, lol.

Mandatory, hidden fee that hits you when you get the bill.
Now help the restaurant pay it's employees health insurance.

Watch for this to come to a restaurant near you soon......
I'll tell ya folks..we're gonna be fee'd and taxed to death soon as revenue dries up for both government and private business.

Dinner tabs: Restaurants add employee charge to dinner tabs - chicagotribune.com

snippet:
"The latest hidden mandatory add-on is a "health" charge added to restaurant bills. As far as I know, this scam cropped up first in San Francisco, but you can count on it to spread.

The rationale for this one is to cover the employers' mandatory contribution to the City's "Healthy San Francisco" health-coverage system. The charge actually is levied on employers, but at least some restaurants are adding a few dollars or percentage points to each customer's bill to cover this charge."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 02:03 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
The cost of doing business, usually reflected in the prices but not in this case.

They could also add a "utility fee" if they want to highlight and protest the electricity rates or whatever. I'm underwhelmed by all of this to be honest.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
The cost of doing business, usually reflected in the prices but not in this case.

They could also add a "utility fee" if they want to highlight and protest the electricity rates or whatever. I'm underwhelmed by all of this to be honest.
Until you go out to eat and get a bill with charges like this added.
Totally unexpected to a casual diner..wouldn't you agree ?

Old 03-03-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Unexpected? Yes. But like I said, there are many "fees" built into the price of a meal and highlighting this one seems silly. I probably wouldn't eat their anymore because when I go out I want to enjoy my meals, not have political statements beat me over the head. Plus, it hides the true cost which isn't something I like to find out only when I get my bill.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:09 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,064,272 times
Quote:
What can you do to avoid this fee? Presumably, not many of you would feel strongly enough about this minor scam to get up and walk out of a restaurant the minute you saw a notice about such a fee. And you probably wouldn't feel like making a fuss when you're paying your bill, either. But when you leave, you can certainly let the restaurant know that you resent this deception and that you won't be returning.
Of course there's nothing to do to avoid the fee but it's hardly a scam. ALL of the businesses have to pay it and it increases costs for the consumers. SOME of the businesses are making patrons aware of the real cost to them instead of just upping prices generically.

How many times have you heard people complain about rising prices with no understanding of the contributing factors? Now people will know why the meal that used to cost $15 now will cost $16.50. How is that deceptive?

Old 03-03-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
It's not hidden as you described in your OP. It's printed on the menu...just like other 'fees' like the $2 plate sharing fee or the mandatory 18% gratuity for parties over 6 people, etc.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
It's not hidden as you described in your OP. It's printed on the menu...just like other 'fees' like the $2 plate sharing fee or the mandatory 18% gratuity for parties over 6 people, etc.
Yeah..after you get there, sit down and get a menu.
Sly..yes. Above board if they also have an internet menu without this fee advertised? No.

It really depends.

I've tried to argue with the phone company on their mandatory FCC fee on lines..I had 2 lines to the house but off the same wire yet got charged twice.
You just cannot win against the phone company...so I canceled that second line.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Ahh, if it's upfront then no problem. I'd still rather see it be built into the price, which is the easy way to handle business expenses. If it's printed on the menu then the owners must REALLY hate this particular law. That's their problem, not mine.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:19 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Is it news that a business prices it product based on expenses? If a business chooses to point out what certain costs contribute to their price, although not a wise business decision, I think it is up to them. What's the issue?

Old 03-03-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Yeah..after you get there, sit down and get a menu.
Sly..yes. Above board if they also have an internet menu without this fee advertised? No.

It really depends.

I've tried to argue with the phone company on their mandatory FCC fee on lines..I had 2 lines to the house but off the same wire yet got charged twice.
You just cannot win against the phone company...so I canceled that second line.
That makes no sense. The cost will be the same either way. How many times do you know exactly how much you will spend on dinner before you get to the restaurant, sit down and get a menu? What does it matter if the price is $15+$1.50 or if the price is $16.50?

The only difference I see is that I don't have to tip on the $1.50 fee so I am SAVING money as opposed to it all be lumped together with the cost of the meal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies