Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2010, 02:36 PM

38,651 posts, read 26,460,316 times

Advertisements

As I expected, the recalls Toyota is performing to correct undesired and uncontrollable acceleration appear to be the wrong solution to the problem.

"At least 15 Toyota drivers have complained to U.S. safety officials that their cars sped up by themselves even after being fixed under recalls for sticky gas pedals or floor mat problems, according to an Associated Press analysis."

FOXNews.com - Drivers Complain That Toyota's Fixes Didn't Work

Toyota has consistently focused on their reputation and (in my opinion) grasped at convenient straws to explain this dangerous condition rather than simply admit they just don't know what causes it.

I have expressed my concern on this forum previously that what owners describe is full throttle application and inconsistent with a "stuck" pedal.

"The owner was driving on the highway when the vehicle began to accelerate on its own. Despite brake pressure and a shift into neutral, the Avalon kept revving uncontrollably. He immediately headed to the nearby Toyota dealership by shifting between Drive and Neutral with the engine at full throttle. He pulled into the lot with the Avalon revving and the brakes smoking. The dealer service technician tried to physically move the pedal, but was unable to stop the vehicle engine from revving. The dealer contacted a Toyota corporate representative, who authorized replacement of the throttle body, accelerator pedal and the associated sensors and paid for the labor and a car rental for the owner."

Toyota Sudden Unintended Acceleration Problems Continuing |

Note that no DTC was stored for the event. That means that this condition does not cause the vehicle to go into its fail safe mode and reduce throttle application, and that is consistent with customer complaints.

I still believe Toyota is not coming clean. I believe they truly do not know what causes this runaway acceleration. I also believe they are rolling the dice that the pedal is the cause because telling the world they don't know what causes it would mean the end of Toyota as a manufacturer of automobiles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies