Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 01:32 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
Or maybe more precise means that emails that were falling through the cracks and not being sent to the NSA are now being sent. That would be an expansion. It could go both ways.
Is it EINSTEIN-3 that we're talking about?

Because that only applies to Executive Department communications, right? No public communications, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 01:37 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
And that, I can tentatively agree with. I don't think they said they were going to get rid of the Patriot Act, per se, but I definitely felt that Obama was going to limit the act and restore some of the privacy and freedoms to Americans that the Patriot Act took away. I'm disappointed that this doesn't seem to be happening.
What privacy and freedoms did the Patriot Act "take away?"

Old 03-05-2010, 01:43 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Many.

Especially phone communications. Hence the immunity for phone companies that cooperated with them. It opened the door to allow government to use technology to intrude upon people's personal lives in an unprecedented fashion. Without obtaining warrants, or, when people complained about that, by obtaining warrants from a special judge in a secret process where the usual basic requirements for warrants were waived.

Old 03-05-2010, 01:53 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,584,657 times
Quote:
Freedom of Association - Monitoring of religious and political institutions without suspected criminal activity. All in the name of terrorism control.

Right to Legal Representation - The government may monitor federal prison jailhouse conversations between attorneys and clients, and deny lawyers to Americans accused of crimes.

Freedom from Unreasonable Searches - Search and siezure without probable cause.

Right to Speedy and Public Trial - The government may detain and incarcerate Americans indefinitely without a trial.

Right to Liberty - Americans may be charged or incarcerated without being able to confront witnesses against them.

Freedom of Information - The government has closed once-public immigration hearings, has secretly detained hundreds of people without charges, and has encouraged bureaucrats to resist public records questions.

Old 03-05-2010, 01:56 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
It's not a matter of understanding it. It is just extremely hypocritical to get upset all of a sudden when those of us who disagreed with it were upset about it from the begining and disappointed when it was extended. Then just to add to the hypocrisy, when Bush was in office, it was congress who did this and now that Obama's in office, it's all Obama's fault.

Intstead of making the title of the thread about Obama, how about talking about the policy and why you're against it? The partisanism is rampant and it is clear that this was not about the policy but about attacking Obama. This is nothing new. The same people who post threads like this are the ones that post threads about Obama putting his feet on the desk in the oval office and calling him arrogant but when Bush did it, he was simply relaxing and putting his feet on "his" desk. It is the same "how dare this boy try to act like he's the president" mentality. Get over it, he is the president and he has the same rights and privileges as every president before him.

If he is part of some conspiracy, the conspiracy didn't start with him but all of a sudden the people who were oblivious and trusting during the Bush administration are shocked and alarmed everytime any change is made under this administration. Whenever Obama does it, it is worse, it is more intrusive and evil. When Bush did it, he was just being president. I am disgusted and do not trust nor listen to people who are this biased, site uncredible news sources all the time and whine about a person putting their feet on a desk or bowing. Get a grip on reality.
I agree with this 100%. Let's stop pretending/acting as if any of this originated with the current administration.
Those of us who expressed concerns when the Patriot Act was passed were called 'anti-American' and worse. We were accused of 'aiding and abetting' the enemy. Sorry, I've already experienced my outrage, though, I will say, I am actually glad to see those who approved this finally waking up to what the rest of us have been saying all along.

I, too, am very disapointed that it was extended, however, didn't we hear that once that door was opened, presidents would just keep walking through it? Hate to say it but...told you so.
C'est la vie.

Old 03-05-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I agree with this 100%. Let's stop pretending/acting as if any of this originated with the current administration.
Those of us who expressed concerns when the Patriot Act was passed were called 'anti-American' and worse. We were accused of 'aiding and abetting' the enemy. Sorry, I've already experienced my outrage, though, I will say, I am actually glad to see those who approved this finally waking up to what the rest of us have been saying all along.

I, too, am very disapointed that it was extended, however, didn't we hear that once that door was opened, presidents would just keep walking through it? Hate to say it but...told you so.
C'est la vie.
What many people don't realize is the Patriot Act was based on the Anti-Terrorism and Effective Death Penalty Act of 1996 by Bill Clinton, which generated outrage back then, and key components of his plan were put into the Patriot Act (along with it's own freedom robbing components) when George Bush took office. This is by no means the creation of Obama, however, it doesn't appear to be going away on his watch.

Most Americans won't wake up though. As long as they can go out to eat once in a while, sit down and watch television every night, and the government lets them think they are free, it's all good.

Last edited by jhadorn; 03-05-2010 at 02:19 PM..

Old 03-05-2010, 02:16 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,399,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I don't see any lefties frothing at the mouth they way they did when Bush was in charge.
Nothing to froth about, communication monitoring has been done for quite a few years.

Now, a requirement of reporting "suspicious activity" on bank accounts, that's a new concept.

Old 03-05-2010, 02:18 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,776,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Speaking of disgust, look in the mirror and see mine for you.

Bush allowed the interception of phone calls from known terrorists and the people they called. I put in some time in the Army intercepting radio transmissions by the Russians and other East European military people at a time when that was against international law. Of course, they were playing the same game but people like you would only have been after the Americans for what they were doing. Just so you might be able to see what I was doing I served in the ASA and it was our job go keep tabs on where any and all Russian units were and we did it quite well. When the Hungarians revolted we pinpointed the location of every tank the Russians had around Hungary. Let me tell you there were a bunch of them, too. More than the entire NATO group had in all of Europe. Our missiles were pretty important in keeping the Russians from taking over all of Europe.

Damned bunch of lawbreakers you would have called us but I loved it and felt I was doing an important job.

What Obama is proposing is to gain complete control of the internet and you can't see what that really means or why. I feel for you, Joe.
I was waiting for the head of the Bush teabagging club to chime in. Its not disgust I feel for you, but pity. I am sure you don't want it, but I can't help but feel sorry for you.

Its apparent that you have no problem with Bush spying on your emails, it just bothers you because Obama is doing it. Personally I don't support any president spying on American citizens. Thats the difference between me and you. You are a partisan hypocrite.

BTW, bad analogy. there is a big difference between the Soviet Union and an American citizen. Nice try though.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theolsarge View Post
Nothing to froth about, communication monitoring has been done for quite a few years.

Now, a requirement of reporting "suspicious activity" on bank accounts, that's a new concept.
It is something to froth about. Just because it has been done for quite a few years doesn't mean it's ok.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:33 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
How's about you ask all those people on the "no fly list" ?
How did they get there..how do they get themselves off.
They don't even know who to talk to about that.

Over 1 million people on it and still potential terrorists get on the planes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies