Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Time to Cut Government Pay and Benefits
Yes - they make entirely too much and are a burden to taxpayers 19 65.52%
No - I work for the government and I like my pay and free benefits 3 10.34%
Maybe not - where do I apply for these government jobs 4 13.79%
Too stupid too understand question - I need a job at the DMV 4 13.79%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 02:54 PM

805 posts, read 775,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I don't know of any local government employee, or state or federal for that matter, that has a fully paid pension. As a MD teacher my pension contribution is between 7 and 8 percent of post-tax income. That is on top of the 7 percent for FICA. I also pay a tax on what is called "imputed income" on my employers contribution to the State retirement System. That is also a tax on the group life policy which terminates upon my retirement. If I remain in MD after retirement I'll will then have to pay state Income Tax, again, on my pension benefit.
My health insurance is $250/pay period for the high option family plan and limits the number of doctor visits.
You can cut local government "bureaucrats" if you wish but when you do you'll wait even longer for your street to get plowed.

When I worked in industry ( manufacturing and railroad) my health insurance was $20/per pay and the pension was fully funded by my employer. The manufacturer was unionized while my job with the RR was non-union.

I really am trying to figure out where you folks get the idea that government employees get all these no pay in to benefits.
And I'm trying to figure out where you government employees get the idea that bloated pay, free health benefits and lottery jackpot pension benefits don't exist ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 03:00 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,501,302 times
What you don't take into account dips hit is that A LOT of government employees work in the big metros (DC, NYC, Boston, etc) so the pay is going to be higher for the cost of living in that area. Also 41% of government workers have bachelors degrees. People with degrees get paid more on average. Also please explain to me where the mother eff these "free health benefits, and lottery jackpot pensions" that you speak of are at jacka$$, because I would love to know!

Old 03-06-2010, 03:01 PM

29,980 posts, read 43,032,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
I work for the feds. I am a GS-5 Step 2 for the Cleveland area. I make around 16 bucks an hour, and support a family of 5. I live in a small house (1200 sq ft) and my health insurance costs me $2500 year, NOT FREE THERE. Also my retirement is a combination of FERS (top 3 year avg earnings x no. of years worked x 1%) social security and my TSP (5% of my pay, they match 5% and is subject to the beatings of the market) I am totally rolling in the dough (sarcasm)

All of these people who berate government workers, I think you should walk a day in our shoes. We earn our money, and I am damn good at my job. Sorry you are unemployed at the moment, but the problem is private sector pay being too low, not us making too little. Let's go along with what some of you idiots say and cut my pay by 30%, that's a great idea! I would then probably have to lose my house, or I would at least be forced to eat Ramen noodles and cheap hot dogs to get by, and I would then get fat and lose my health coverage. Then I could go on Medicaid and cost the taxpayers even more in the long run. Think before you post losers!
One can clearly see that none of the above comments are directed toward your pay level. So why so bitter? And yes, there are a number of government workers who are slackers. I would think that as a non-slacker that would infuriate you that they give the hardworkers like yourself a bad reputation.

Old 03-06-2010, 03:03 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,712,114 times
Cutting the pay in 1/2 would make the budget so much easier to balance.

Old 03-06-2010, 03:04 PM

I make these comments somewhat in jest, but I am sick of people thinking we all get this super awesome free health care, and huge golden parachute type retirement. People claim these things to be true, when they are just bold faced lying. I would love to know what these idiots do for a living.

GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,389,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtinChicago View Post
Time to cut the bloated government (Federal, State and Local) bureaucracy down? All government employees!
Cut their Numbers
Cut their Pay
Cut their Benefits

Make them contribute to their health and pension plans what we in the private sector have to contribute.

Revisit their Retirement pakages and cut them substantially (50%)

Time to clip their Golden Parachutes.
Free Martini Lunch is over!
The problem with this approach is that "all government employees" are not nonproductive, overfed leeches, only a small (hopefully) percentage. Conversely, all private industry employees are not productive and worth their salaries and bonuses. The difficulty lies in the inability to fire deadbeats working for the government.

With the above caveat, I am with you in spirit, but only if you start with Congress.

10,838 posts, read 14,973,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtinChicago View Post
Time to cut the bloated government (Federal, State and Local) bureaucracy down? All government employees!
Cut their Numbers
Cut their Pay
Cut their Benefits

Make them contribute to their health and pension plans what we in the private sector have to contribute.

Revisit their Retirement pakages and cut them substantially (50%)

Time to clip their Golden Parachutes.
Free Martini Lunch is over!
We can start with the total elimination of the Department of Education which is a Jimmy Carter boondoggle. The department of education educates no one. That would be a $46.7 billion savings.

Eliminate the department of energy.

Eliminate OSHA because that is a state function.

Cut the federal workforce by 50%.

Cut elected officials pay by 50%. Actually I would like to see members of congress work for $1 per year because who would want a dead beat who can't earn money on their own in congress?

Old 03-06-2010, 03:06 PM

10,838 posts, read 14,973,383 times
Quote:
I make these comments somewhat in jest, but I am sick of people thinking we all get this super awesome free health care, and huge golden parachute type retirement. People claim these things to be true, when they are just bold faced lying. I would love to know what these idiots do for a living.
If you are a government worker I don't need you and don't want you.

Return half my tax money and I will do just fine without your "services".

Old 03-06-2010, 03:08 PM

So care to Veterans who have served our country goes down by 50%, and the already backlogged workers who are still there, get twice the workload. That is an awesome idea! Then the people who work for the SSA who are already at wits end, can also double the amount of stress they have. We will also totally be able to win the wars with half the troops we have now, and the left over troops would have to deploy twice as much, good deal for those families! You sir, are a complete moron.

Old 03-06-2010, 03:09 PM

805 posts, read 775,744 times
Angry Private sector shrinks Public sector grows!?

Quote:
I work for the feds. I am a GS-5 Step 2 for the Cleveland area. I make around 16 bucks an hour, and support a family of 5. I live in a small house (1200 sq ft) and my health insurance costs me $2500 year, NOT FREE THERE. Also my retirement is a combination of FERS (top 3 year avg earnings x no. of years worked x 1%) social security and my TSP (5% of my pay, they match 5% and is subject to the beatings of the market) I am totally rolling in the dough (sarcasm)

All of these people who berate government workers, I think you should walk a day in our shoes. We earn our money, and I am damn good at my job. Sorry you are unemployed at the moment, but the problem is private sector pay being too low, not us making too little. Let's go along with what some of you idiots say and cut my pay by 30%, that's a great idea! I would then probably have to lose my house, or I would at least be forced to eat Ramen noodles and cheap hot dogs to get by, and I would then get fat and lose my health coverage. Then I could go on Medicaid and cost the taxpayers even more in the long run. Think before you post losers!
Not inferring that you don't work hard or are good at what you do.
Just that you are overpaid for what you do.

What is it exactly that you do? What equivalent job in the private sector is like your job?

How much could you expect to get paid if you went into the private sector? Based of course on your education and practical experience?

How many people have been laid off at your place?

Has your department been downsized... like many companies in the private sector.

Have you and your co-workers had their pay and benefits cut like in the private sector? If not, why not!

Ohio and Cleveland has 15%+ unemployment!
How much has the government sector cut back? Or are you just feeling our pain?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies