Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Time to Cut Government Pay and Benefits
Yes - they make entirely too much and are a burden to taxpayers 19 65.52%
No - I work for the government and I like my pay and free benefits 3 10.34%
Maybe not - where do I apply for these government jobs 4 13.79%
Too stupid too understand question - I need a job at the DMV 4 13.79%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 03:26 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,489,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
It's more than that.

In 2009 Federal employees received a pay raise of 3.9%. Us lowly surfs didn't get a raise so what makes federal employees so very special?

Last year I paid $14,000 in federal income tax. With 2 million federal employees each one received nearly 3/4 of one cent from me.
There are also roads, bridges, Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security benefits, and that little thing called national defense that you conveniently forgot about.

Also we got 2% last year, and since you also conveniently forgot to back up everything with evidence, I will link to it.

2010 Federal Pay Raise : 2 Percent Increase - Pay Tables / Charts

2008-2009 was 3.9%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 03:27 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,934,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
If Napolitano is in charge of Homeland Security that is equivalent to no Homeland Security. She is lost and not qualified for that job. Get rid of her, promote someone from the ranks for less money and really begin to protect our Homeland.
Who said she is in charge?

And another thing, if ObamaCare is passed every federal employee should be made to eat the same dog food the rest of us lowly citizens will be forced to wolf down.

Old 03-06-2010, 03:27 PM

805 posts, read 774,111 times
Quote:
If you are a government worker I don't need you and don't want you.

Return half my tax money and I will do just fine without your "services".
Beautiful!

As the love affair gone sour song goes. "Got along without you before, I can get along without you now!"

Mail delivery and 1 kid left still in school.
Never used Police, Fire or Emergency paramendics.

Instead I'm paying for a state-of-the-art library, brand new s-o-t-a police building and equipment, new fire department s-o-t-a building and shiny new fire trucks!

Ever increasing Real Estate Tax Bills that go to increased pay and benefits for teachers, policemen, firemen and other assorted patronage "civil"servants.
Based on assessment and the decreased value of my home due to local forclosures and short sales, I would expect a lower assessment and therefore a lower Real Estate Tax Bill!
I'm not holding my breath!

Old 03-06-2010, 03:29 PM

nicet4: I did not realize you were a whack job conspiracy nut, my apologies.

Old 03-06-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
There are also roads, bridges, Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security benefits, and that little thing called national defense that you conveniently forgot about.

Also we got 2% last year, and since you also conveniently forgot to back up everything with evidence, I will link to it.

2010 Federal Pay Raise : 2 Percent Increase - Pay Tables / Charts

2008-2009 was 3.9%
I got links too.

2009 Federal Pay Raise:
3.9% Increase for Federal Employees
2009 Pay Tables Now Available
UPDATE: December 18, 2008

Old 03-06-2010, 03:33 PM

You also didn't read my post where I said that we got 2% this year, down from last year!

Old 03-06-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtinChicago View Post
Beautiful!

As the love affair gone sour song goes. "Got along without you before, I can get along without you now!"

Mail delivery and 1 kid left still in school.
Never used Police, Fire or Emergency paramendics.

Instead I'm paying for a state-of-the-art library, brand new s-o-t-a police building and equipment, new fire department s-o-t-a building and shiny new fire trucks!

Ever increasing Real Estate Tax Bills that go to increased pay and benefits for teachers, policemen, firemen and other assorted patronage "civil"servants.
Based on assessment and the decreased value of my home due to local forclosures and short sales, I would expect a lower assessment and therefore a lower Real Estate Tax Bill!
I'm not holding my breath!
I didn't know Police, Fire or Emergency paramedics were part of the federal system. Seems to me they should be a function of state and local government.

Mail delivery is one of the few things the postal service does well and if you don't want to pay you don't have to send mail.

Social security is social security taxes or should. Of course the social security trust fund was raided by federal employees to build monuments to federal employees.

Old 03-06-2010, 03:36 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
uhm

the 3.9% pay raise means nothing

yep I make 3.9% more...now I am in a higher tax bracket
yep I make 3.9% more...but my health premiums went up 25%

my 3.9% raise equaled out to 6 dollars a week

and you want to complain
???????

Old 03-06-2010, 03:36 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,054,512 times
So we want the best and the brightest to go into government to lead and serve the people...

...but we don't want to pay for or compensate those people.

You will get the people who are willing to take that pay, and if the best can get more they won't settle for that crap check.

Old 03-06-2010, 03:39 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
I didn't know Police, Fire or Emergency paramedics were part of the federal system. Seems to me they should be a function of state and local government.

Mail delivery is one of the few things the postal service does well and if you don't want to pay you don't have to send mail.

Social security is social security taxes or should. Of course the social security trust fund was raided by federal employees to build monuments to federal employees.
Not where I live. The post office routinely delivers "3rd class mail" while actually returning 1st class mail like bills and bank statements to the sender...even when using a PO Box. Before getting the PO Box it was routine to recieve mail that belonged to residents 2-3 blocks away, as well as next door, or find a trail of "dropped mail" across the yards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies