Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2010, 08:38 AM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Yeah and you will be the first one to come on CD and use the latest demographic statistics to make some bogus racial point.
I will? What are you talking about????? I don't even believe in race, I believe it's a man made precept used to divide. We're all one race; the human race. Skin is clothing for the soul. Perhaps you should respond to posters individually, instead of using a liberal reflex and just typing what you think should be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Why Responding to the Census is Important

Your Voice in Washington: Population totals from Census 2010 will determine the number of seats each state holds in the US House of Representatives. Under this process, known as "apportionment," the number of seats in the House of Representatives has grown from 106 after the 1790 census, to 435 today. Through apportionment, states that grow in population may gain seats, while states with lowering populations may lose seats. By law, The U.S. Census Bureau must submit state population totals from Census 2010 to the President of the United States by December 31, 2010.

Your Money: Cutting right to the chase, over $400 billion in federal funding is distributed to communities each year based to a large extent on the results of the US census. Besides affecting the total federal funding received by your community, data collected in the census is used by local governments to determine exactly how that money will be used.

Where the Jobs Go: Census data are used by the private sector as well as state and local governments to determine where new jobs and job development programs are needed.

Community Facilities and Services: Want a new hospital in your neighborhood? How about a new school, fire station or public library? Community planners and leaders use census data to decide where such essential facilities are most needed.

Consumers: Corporations large and small use census data for market research to determine the locations for new commercial enterprises, such as grocery stores, pharmacies and other essential services. Potential homebuyers use census data to research property values, median income and other demographic information about a particular community or neighborhood.

Census 2010 – About Census 2010 and Why Census 2010 is Important to You
How does that relate to what you quoted of me in any way, shape or form? It's as if you didn't even read my post, just siad, "OH, it's Sonrise, he's a conservative, lemme copy and paste liberal taking points about the census." Bottom line: why is the "race" or color of one's skin important at all? It totally flies in the face of MLK's dream.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
LOL- yes, where is the white pride?
White pride is as dumb as black pride, gay pride or left handed pride. Why should someone be proud of something they had nothing to do with and something so inconsequential?

Old 03-20-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
The OP is a raging religious conservative.
I believe all people should be judged by the content of their character, not the color of their skin. Yeah, I'm so "raging." Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh

Old 03-20-2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Yes, we are human. Nothing wrong with unity whatsoever and I applaud the thoughts of Dr King. However, the reality is, we can't escape the fact that ethnicities and races still exist categorically because that's just how we were made. We still have to be truthful when filling out those forms. The folks at the Department of Commerce still have to know.
Of course we can. The color of one's skin is as arbitrary as the color of one's hair or eyes, or handedness. Why is that not on the census? Why is any of this relevant at all, unless it's for politicizing, and dividing?

Lemme ask you a question: I'm in a mixed marriage and my daughter is bi-racial; what "race" or ethnicity should I put for her? Also, there is a box for "other" and a line to write it in. I will writer in human; if you feel the need to define yourself by the color of your skin or "ethnicity", knock yourself out.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:14 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,395,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Bronx, NY - With millions of US Census forms hitting mailboxes this month, Latin Americans are noticing a confusing quirk in the 10-part questionnaire.

The Census does not consider Hispanic to be a racial category.

The 2010 Census Form Has No Category For People Who Consider Their Race To Be Hispanic Or Latino - WPIX
ummmm, because it's not? how stupid does a person have to be to not get this? This is not news people!!! If you're dumb enough to count your race as hispanic, please pick your poison and do the rest of us a favor..

Old 03-20-2010, 09:25 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♠atizar♠ View Post
Never heard anyone complain about the friggin' Census until Obama took office.

It's all so very transparent.

I hope you are fooling yourselves, because you aren't fooling anyone else.
This was the 4th census form I've filled out--40 years worth...

Were you listening the other times census forms have been sent out or is this your first go-'round? People griped even more on the others...they were even more intrusive asking questions about income, number of bathrooms in your house, etc. The paranoia was thick during those as well.

This was the shortest form I've seen.

Not everything has to do with Obama.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:25 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
When you check the box for Native American, they ask you for the name of the tribe you are a registered member of. I wonder if they check the tribal role to verify.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:29 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♠atizar♠ View Post
Right. So let's not do it better for newer groups. Spanish speakers are the largest group currently coming in. If it was Germans, you can bet we'd put programs in place to deal with it. Just because we didn't in 1910 doesn't mean we shouldn't now. Not to mention, there were dozens of ethnicities coming in back then. Maybe we should just start riding around in buggies again too. Take away the vote from women maybe. Like it or not, none of those other ethnicities ever approached the size of Hispanics in America today. Just the LEGAL Mexicans alone coming dwarfs all others.

Anyway, I suppose Nixon was a politically correct idiot for letting it happen under his watch. Probably a closet commie too.

What I seem to be hearing is that some of you are against "Americanizing" (integrating) these folks. Why on earth would you not want them to integrate? At least somewhat? You don't want them to become productive citizens? These programs help them do just that. Is the issue that you don't want them here in the first place?
You just contradicted yourself. In the other post you said that the government wants to make sure it provides anyone with "hispanic" ethnic heritage materials like voting in Spanish and now you say it's about Americanizing them.

Again, not everyone with hispanic heritage was unable to learn English, and if the others wanted to bother learning English, they don't need the government involved.

Were the hispanics the only ones who came here not realizing that the USA has a different language and culture?

All the government needs to do is ask if they residents of the home speak English or not. Then they don't count the American hispanics in with the foreigners who never bothered to learn English and as a result are much more government dependent.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:39 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Yes, we are human. Nothing wrong with unity whatsoever and I applaud the thoughts of Dr King. However, the reality is, we can't escape the fact that ethnicities and races still exist categorically because that's just how we were made. We still have to be truthful when filling out those forms. The folks at the Department of Commerce still have to know.
They are strictly arbitrary classifications. They also should mean nothing to the government. Nothing.

The government should not be providing more to one ethnic group than it does for any other. It should not be trying to keep one group of foreigners foreign by keeping them from learning English by providing them Spanish speaking social workers to give them their food stamps and welfare checks.

There is another little known fact - with previous immigrations, many people went back home if they couldn't adapt to this country. A third of immigrants returned to their homelands within a very short time. Now there are those who support the government finding these groups who cannot adapt and keep them from adapting -- but only one -- others must still learn English and the government ignores all their so called special needs.

In past census, there sometimes was a question if English was spoken in the home -- that might be fair enough. Liberals fail to realize this but there are hispanics who speak English very very well, can even teach it in a university. They also aren't government dependent -- they can cope just as well as those who ancestors came from France or Germany.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies