Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2010, 08:31 AM

841 posts, read 2,262,619 times

Advertisements

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 08:37 AM

BTW:

If you want a fairly decent historical overview on the real orgins of libertarianism then look here,

YouTube - TheLeftLibertarian's Channel

Old 03-09-2010, 08:44 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,220,413 times
lol, an essay whining about a political party the writer does not like.

what else is new?

Old 03-09-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
lol, an essay whining about a political party the writer does not like.

what else is new?
Sounds like this forum as a whole?

Old 03-09-2010, 09:43 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,100,667 times
Seth, you have not answered the question. Do you agree, or do you disagree, that it is always wrong for one person to initiate force against another? If you disagree, then you disagree with the fundamental concept of libertarianism, ...

On the other hand, if you agree with the proposition, yet you still don't like the conclusions that libertarians draw from it, then we can refocus our attention on the chain of logic that leads to those conclusions and find where you feel the weak link is.
From your link.

I've had the exact same argument on this forum.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:51 AM

Ovcatto,

I'm still waiting for Libertarians to fulfill Ayn Rand's prophecy of creating a Galtian Society. My guess is that they won't and instead they return to montoring Amazon Review, Youtube and message boards like this one.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:54 AM

7,006 posts, read 7,003,064 times
Quote:
Funny Opinion Essay On a Cult Were All Too Familiar With
Disappointing. I was expecting a shellacking of Scientology.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:14 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,801,783 times
Libertarianism is a morally bankrupt philosophy. As an undergrad I took a political philosophy course. The professor was a libertarian, but a darn good philosophy prof. He dichotomized the reading for the course based around Rawls vs. Nozick.

At the time, I was sympathetic to Libertarianism, believing that "live and let live" would be a good general moral precept if applied equitably and consistently.

While Rawls is boring reading material, Nozick seemed as if he disregarded historical examples of the inherent problems in the nightwatchman state, thus rendering him a little out of touch with reality.

I view Libertarians today as the "do-nothing" party. Their typical responses for social/economic problems is to do nothing and let the system work itself out, regardless of any social evils that come about as "unintended" consequences.

The way the prof structured the class gave me a good view of two different sides of the debate, and I changed my mind in the course of the class from sympathy with this morally bankrupt philosophy to completing opposing it. It just doesn't work. My old prof would probably say that's what Libertarianism is supposed to do...nothing.

The Rawls side promotes social justice, which too has its inherent flaws. But at least social justice theorists are attempting to arrive at solutions rather than letting the system work itself out.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:42 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,220,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KARL_MARX View Post
Sounds like this forum as a whole?
exactly.

I am a libertarian and this isn't even worth responding to.

Every political party is viewed as illogical by a different party. If we all agreed we would not have a multi-party system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies