Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 09:06 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,240,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
What about private businesses. Shouldn't it be left up to the owner of the business to determine whether or not smoking will be allowed?
Libbie logic is "i know what's best for you, cigarettes will make your customers die, so it shouldn't be your choice" but then think "well, I should be able to kill my own child before it's born, nobody should be able to tell me what to do!" and then "but so why can't I smoke in my own bar?".. "because I know what's best for you!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 09:08 AM

132 posts, read 225,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
What about private businesses. Shouldn't it be left up to the owner of the business to determine whether or not smoking will be allowed?
Not if they serve the public. Private establishments that cater only to private customers are perfectly fine by me. In fact, this is one way in which sone establishments have curtailed smoking lies, and I am fine by it. But if you are open to service to the public in general, then no.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nujabes View Post
I don't want smoking banned. Personally, I don't care about second hand smoking laws either, if I don't like smoke, I don't go to those establishments. Why would I want smoking banned when in this thread I implicitly advocated for the legalization of marijuana?

But you don't seem to care about nuance. You've created all these opinions about what "liberals" think and then you ascribe them to those who you disagree with because you cannot take their arguments directly.

What's more, you outright LIED and claimed that the worst thing that second hand smoke does is make your clothes smell bad, and have yet to acknowledge the falsehood of this comment. Even I recognize that cigarettes, alcohol, and other vices (yes, even marijuana) do real damage to your body.

You've set up this asinine analogy between cars and cigarettes, when cars are FAR more heavily regulated by the government than cigarettes are, and NEITHER have been banned.

it is NOT universally accepted that second hand smoke causes cancer. It's universally accepted that it smells bad.

Can you explain this libbie logic? The cancer causing agent in first hand smoke is tar. You get tar from burning ANYTHING. So in libbie states like california, they ban smoking indoors at all private places like bars, clinics, etc.. BUT, under LIBBIE logic, marijuana CAN be smoked in doors at the medical marijuana clinics. The cancer causing agent is TAR. you get tar from smoking marijuana. Nicotine doesn't cause cancer. How can you justify indoor pot smoking, and banning indoor cigarette smoking unless it's purely about hatred for cigarette smokers?

Care to explain libbie logic?

Old 03-10-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnFOG View Post
Not if they serve the public. Private establishments that cater only to private customers are perfectly fine by me. In fact, this is one way in which sone establishments have curtailed smoking lies, and I am fine by it. But if you are open to service to the public in general, then no.

Bars are ONLY open to people 21 and older, legal adults. Why isn't a sign enough that says "warning, smoke inside, if sensitive to smoke, don't enter"? becuase liberals are control freaks and like to ban things they don't approve of.

libbie logic, privacy rights means you can have a gay sex club with open sex, can have an abortion, but can't smoke a cigarette. BRILLIANT!

Old 03-10-2010, 09:11 AM

150 posts, read 87,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
Libbie logic is "i know what's best for you, cigarettes will make your customers die, so it shouldn't be your choice" but then think "well, I should be able to kill my own child before it's born, nobody should be able to tell me what to do!" and then "but so why can't I smoke in my own bar?".. "because I know what's best for you!"
The frequent return to "libbie logic" just points out your refusal to think critically. Your argument only works when you attack a sock puppet who you ascribe beliefs to, even though no one in the thread is saying that.

The best thing is that your whole ridiculous detour regarding cigarettes have allowed the fact that many social conservatives favor laws that would regulate people's personal lives to fall to the wayside. Have any comments on that?

Old 03-10-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnFOG View Post

Given alcohol causes society problems, and contributes to things like domestic abuse, drunken driving etc, why not ban alcohol? The alcohol is a LOT more societally harmful than smoking in a bar is.. What has more impact on society, someone smoking in a bar, or a drunk driver?

Or what causes more societal harm, smoking in a bar, or driving within the legal limit, but somewhat impaired?

Old 03-10-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Bars are ONLY open to people 21 and older, legal adults. Why isn't a sign enough that says "warning, smoke inside, if sensitive to smoke, don't enter"? becuase liberals are control freaks and like to ban things they don't approve of.

libbie logic, privacy rights means you can have a gay sex club with open sex, can have an abortion, but can't smoke a cigarette. BRILLIANT!
There are literally thousands of bars that 18-to-20 year olds can get in. That is not illegal, at all.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Given alcohol causes society problems, and contributes to things like domestic abuse, drunken driving etc, why not ban alcohol? The alcohol is a LOT more societally harmful than smoking in a bar is.. What has more impact on society, someone smoking in a bar, or a drunk driver?

Or what causes more societal harm, smoking in a bar, or driving within the legal limit, but somewhat impaired?
There should be a ban on alcohol.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:14 AM

150 posts, read 87,598 times
Quote:
it is NOT universally accepted that second hand smoke causes cancer. It's universally accepted that it smells bad.

Can you explain this libbie logic? The cancer causing agent in first hand smoke is tar. You get tar from burning ANYTHING. So in libbie states like california, they ban smoking indoors at all private places like bars, clinics, etc.. BUT, under LIBBIE logic, marijuana CAN be smoked in doors at the medical marijuana clinics. The cancer causing agent is TAR. you get tar from smoking marijuana. Nicotine doesn't cause cancer. How can you justify indoor pot smoking, and banning indoor cigarette smoking unless it's purely about hatred for cigarette smokers?

Care to explain libbie logic?
Nothing is universally accepted. Somewhere, there is someone who enjoys te smell of cigarette smoke. Do you reject the sources that I cited? On what grounds?

If you had bothered to look at even one of the sources I cited, you might recognize that the cancer causing agents in cigarettes include:

Quote:
arsenic (a heavy metal toxin)
benzene (a chemical found in gasoline)
beryllium (a toxic metal)
cadmium (a metal used in batteries)
chromium (a metallic element)
ethylene oxide (a chemical used to sterilize medical devices)
nickel (a metallic element)
polonium–210 (a chemical element that gives off radiation)
vinyl chloride (a toxic substance used in plastics manufacture)
Finally, I never justified indoor pot smoking, you just made that up. If marijuana were legal, it should be subject to similar laws as cigarettes (and even more)

But, LIBBIE LOGIC LIBBIE LOGIC LIBBIE LOGIC LIBBIE LOGIC

Old 03-10-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nujabes View Post
Nothing is universally accepted. Somewhere, there is someone who enjoys te smell of cigarette smoke. Do you reject the sources that I cited? On what grounds?

If you had bothered to look at even one of the sources I cited, you might recognize that the cancer causing agents in cigarettes include:

Finally, I never justified indoor pot smoking, you just made that up. If marijuana were legal, it should be subject to similar laws as cigarettes (and even more)

But, LIBBIE LOGIC LIBBIE LOGIC LIBBIE LOGIC LIBBIE LOGIC
In california you CAN smoke marijuana indoors, while at the same clinic, you would have to go outside to smoke a cigarette
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies