Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 08:50 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,287,112 times

Advertisements

First,...I'll say that I'm no Obama supporter, but in my opinion, that makes little difference when the facts about this healthcare are discussed. This is how I see the healthcare issue:
...the bill(s) are over 2000 pages long,...the sheer volume would be a challenge for the vast majority of average Americans, plus there is no 'real' bill that citizens can study anyway

...the bill(s) are written in "lawyer legalise" (much like insurance policies) a foreign language to the average American

...the bill(s) reference other bills/resolutions/amendments, which if followed, would add thousands of pages in reference material alone

...our representatives admit that they haven't read most of the bills introduced for resolution in the various committees and really don't know EXACTLY what will be included or its meaning

...the citizens get conflicting information about what the bill(s) include and have no REAL unbiased source of what various provisions mean to them personally

...citizens are spoonfed the White House's propaganda through its own lobbying group and its own website. The opposition is trying to get out their message, but doesn't have the organization that is enjoyed by the White House

...the final bill (if there is one) may or may not be posted for five days for citizens' review,....but it won't make a damned bit of difference at that point anyway,...it will be a done deal....

Yep,...the average American will just have to put blind faith in the government IF this healthcare mess ever becomes law.

For those of you who constantly berate others for having "blind faith",....this boondoggle healthcare situation is apparently going to test your "blind faith" in the government.

Lots of luck with that,........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 08:59 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,799,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdne View Post
First,...I'll say that I'm no Obama supporter, but in my opinion, that makes little difference when the facts about this healthcare are discussed. This is how I see the healthcare issue:
...the bill(s) are over 2000 pages long,...the sheer volume would be a challenge for the vast majority of average Americans, plus there is no 'real' bill that citizens can study anyway

...the bill(s) are written in "lawyer legalise" (much like insurance policies) a foreign language to the average American

...the bill(s) reference other bills/resolutions/amendments, which if followed, would add thousands of pages in reference material alone

...our representatives admit that they haven't read most of the bills introduced for resolution in the various committees and really don't know EXACTLY what will be included or its meaning

...the citizens get conflicting information about what the bill(s) include and have no REAL unbiased source of what various provisions mean to them personally

...citizens are spoonfed the White House's propaganda through its own lobbying group and its own website. The opposition is trying to get out their message, but doesn't have the organization that is enjoyed by the White House

...the final bill (if there is one) may or may not be posted for five days for citizens' review,....but it won't make a damned bit of difference at that point anyway,...it will be a done deal....

Yep,...the average American will just have to put blind faith in the government IF this healthcare mess ever becomes law.

For those of you who constantly berate others for having "blind faith",....this boondoggle healthcare situation is apparently going to test your "blind faith" in the government.

Lots of luck with that,........
Your criticisms of the health care bill could be applied to essentially any law coming out of the U.S. Congress.

My take on the healthcare issue: whatever "reform" becomes law will make the system we have now ten times worse than it already is. Dems will claim victory as will the Republicans on whatever finally becomes the "reform." American citizens will have a different response, I'm sure.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogenesofJackson View Post
Your criticisms of the health care bill could be applied to essentially any law coming out of the U.S. Congress.

My take on the healthcare issue: whatever "reform" becomes law will make the system we have now ten times worse than it already is. Dems will claim victory as will the Republicans on whatever finally becomes the "reform." American citizens will have a different response, I'm sure.
What you say about every law is essentially correct.

The big difference here is the magnitude of the law being considered. The final healthcare bill will affect about 1/6th of the total economy and will give the government even more control over how we live our lives.

Few other laws have the potential to impact Americans in the manner which the Social Security Act and resulting Medicare provisions affect us. The final healthcare bill will have that distinction.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:18 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdne View Post
The big difference here is the magnitude of the law being considered. The final healthcare bill will affect about 1/6th of the total economy and will give the government even more control over how we live our lives.
How do you know that if all these legalese pages are too complicated for anyone to undertand? Magic 8-Ball? Just a hunch?

Old 03-10-2010, 09:25 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,799,701 times
To add to saganista's post, how many Americans read other laws or bills proposed in Congress that directly affect their lives and livelihoods? How many Congressmen and women actually read the bills they vote on?

I'd say the authorization to wage war against Iraq had a pretty big impact on Americans. How many do you think read that exciting piece of literature coming out of Congress? What about the welfare to work act that Bill Clinton signed into law? How many folks do you think read that piece of legalese?

I doubt many Americans have read that because everyone's still complaining about welfare "dependency" and its unlimited terms, which is not what that law stipulates.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:26 AM

6,084 posts, read 6,044,731 times
Why can't we have a simple, small proposal that everyone can understand?

Oh wait,...., we do!!

Old 03-10-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
How do you know that if all these legalese pages are too complicated for anyone to undertand? Magic 8-Ball? Just a hunch?
Nope,...personal observation. I know from personal experience that few people ever bother to read their homeowners insurance policy, or every paragraph of their health policy. The ones that do read, seldom understand what they have read.

Read any pages associated with the healthcare bill? Be my guest,...just try to digest a large portion of the writing other than the Table of Contents.

http://docs.house.gov/rules/health/111_ahcaa.pdf

I don't think that I am incorrect in making the statement that FEW Americans will even attempt to read the final healthcare bill,...and of those who do read the 2000+ pages there will be even fewer who understand what the legalese and references mean.

Believe what you wish,...I'll stay grounded in reality.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:06 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,096 times
I don't understand why they can't vote on one issue at a time, many small bills that can be examined individually. No, that would make too much sense.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:06 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Nancy Pelosi: "We have to pass the bill so you will know what is in it."

Elitist condescention at it's boldest. Yes, with additudes like Obama, Pelosi, Reid and others who see themselves as monarches rather than deriving their power to govern from the governed, American citizens are screwed. Time to pull the rug out from under their feet and let them fall hard on their arses.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:13 AM

938 posts, read 1,230,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogenesofJackson View Post
If Americans didn't want this Healthscare Bill it in the first place, they should have different responses. no? yes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies