Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 06:56 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times

Advertisements

I am beginning to like Obama more and more... the transformation is going pretty well... he started out as a very ignorant partisan but now, he is wise and decisive... part of the job experience I guess... if he continues making such great decisions, I will vote for him next time... I think if you put away a lot of the ideologic goggles, he is actually becoming a better president... This will probably surprise many of you that I would say something like this, but I am rooting for Obama... I hope he DOES pass the healthcare bill...I hope he does pass most of his legislation, the jobs bill and others... I hope he has a permanent fix to medicare reimbursement and a permanent fix to the AMT as well as middle class tax cuts... the only thing I dislike is the carbon credit tax (as I don't believe man causes global warming)... I approve of Obama in most of the way the legislation has been proceeding... I rate him as an "A" from a previous "C"... Anyone else having this kind of switching? The republican party has been sorely disappointing and they have been acting as the "Party of No" for purely partisan tactics... I am very disappointed in the republicans... who knows, maybe I am a Blue Dog Democrat underneath everything... I think I am..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 07:00 AM

2,404 posts, read 4,401,994 times
I agree that he is learning on the job about how disfunctional Washington is. I do think that he had to try to be bipartisan at the beginning.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:12 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,066,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I am beginning to like Obama more and more... the transformation is going pretty well... he started out as a very ignorant partisan but now, he is wise and decisive... part of the job experience I guess... if he continues making such great decisions, I will vote for him next time... I think if you put away a lot of the ideologic goggles, he is actually becoming a better president... This will probably surprise many of you that I would say something like this, but I am rooting for Obama... I hope he DOES pass the healthcare bill...I hope he does pass most of his legislation, the jobs bill and others... I hope he has a permanent fix to medicare reimbursement and a permanent fix to the AMT as well as middle class tax cuts... the only thing I dislike is the carbon credit tax (as I don't believe man causes global warming)... I approve of Obama in most of the way the legislation has been proceeding... I rate him as an "A" from a previous "C"... Anyone else having this kind of switching? The republican party has been sorely disappointing and they have been acting as the "Party of No" for purely partisan tactics... I am very disappointed in the republicans... who knows, maybe I am a Blue Dog Democrat underneath everything... I think I am..
Am I to assume you are an Anarchist and by supporting Obama's many downright asinine agendas you hope the complete collapse of western civilization will come quickly so you can run around practicing unhindered brigandage?

Old 03-11-2010, 08:17 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
What agendas do you consider asinine? And please be specific about what you don't like about it. I don't want the collapse of the western civilization, but I can understand why you thought that but that only reflects what happened during the first year. As I said before, there is a transformation going on that I think not many people are appreciating... As I see it, Obama is throwing out the special interests that have constantly nagged at him for a "cut" and I do appreciate what Obama is doing... I hope him well, he is now starting to do what he promised, "change for the better"... he started out poorly but has become a better president which is the total opposite of pretty much all our recent presidents, who started out great and became worse... Yikes, I am becoming an Obama Fan and I have no regrets about it..

Old 03-11-2010, 11:02 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,066,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
What agendas do you consider asinine? And please be specific about what you don't like about it.
Fair enough question.

The preoccupation with health care reform comes immediately to mind. While I agree it is a serious issue that needs attention, there are simply more serious issues at hand. This obsession has led to an attempt to push through a hastily and poorly written plan at the expense of issues like the economy, two un-winable wars (un-winable in that we are fighting someone else's war on their terms in their backyard...Sun Tsu is spinning in his grave fer sure.), and the complete division of a nation. Quite frankly the issues that are ripping this nation apart while leading us down Rome's path and that adversely affect ALL Americans take priority over the issues that adversely affect only 20%. Granted 20% is a lot of people but the other 80% count too.

Last edited by Joe_Ryder; 03-11-2010 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: pour schpellin

Old 03-11-2010, 11:18 AM

938 posts, read 1,230,267 times
the well of delusion is deep

Old 03-11-2010, 11:31 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,032,932 times
Between us evilnewbie, I actually voted for Obama in 2008 and hope that single-payer universal healthcare gets implemented (healthcare is the reason I voted for him). Despite many of his shortcomings Obama is a pretty cool guy.. But you didn't hear it from me.

That being said I will never consider myself a Democrat, nor will I allow the left wing revisionists to demonize my favorite presidents and politicians regardless of their party.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:35 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,911,536 times
the nicest thing i can say about obama is that i don't dislike him any more than i disliked bush.

you seriously have to be kidding if you think he is doing a good job. we are in the party phase of this non-recovery -the daddy is giving you the credit card so you can go out and buy stuff phase- and the paying phase hasn't even hit yet.

obama has dug the united states a pretty deep hole to try to dig itself out of, and he seems to be trying to hurt the private sector at every opportunity.

using american money to subsidize foreign oil companies, but trying to shut our own oil industry down. (in today's business forum)

forcing americans to undergo yet more scrutiny at airports including invasive body scanners because he refuses to use common sense and profile likely terrorists, thereby increasing the cost of travel and inconvenience for americans.

leaving our borders open.

ramping up wars and war spending, and the stupidity of accepting the peace prize and cash when he knew what he was going to do. (what a hypocrite!)

ignoring illegal immigration and pretending it doesn't affect unemployment.

not firing napolitano after the bomber debacle.

giving american taxpayer money to the IMF so they can try and strong arm other countries.

the stupid cap and trade tax/ global warming whatever you want to call it, which will cost americans money and drag american business down.

the stupid cash for clunkers program, where foreign auto sales went up and good cars were destroyed, putting them out of the range of the poorest citizens.

favoritism to the unions and certain states in the health care bill.

the secrecy involved in all negotiations involving the government now and all the closed door tactics.

favoritism to big pharma in the health care bill, including banning access to cheaper drugs.

complaining about the insurance companies robbing americans, then demanding that mandatory health insurance be purchased or americans face potential jail time.

defending the banking bonuses after hiring a pay "czar" to combat them.

the whole GITMO disaster and releasing terrorists to terrorize again, while we still go fight them.

appointing geithner to be the treasury secretary, even while knowing that geithner chose not to pay his own taxes and then defending him. (not to mention the real reason he appointed geithner).

and add this simple little economic reality:
In 2010, under an assumption that no legislative changes occur, CBO estimates that federal spending will total $3.5 trillion and revenues will total $2.2 trillion. The resulting deficit of about $1.3 trillion would be just $65 billion less than last year’s shortfall and more than three times the size of the deficit recorded in 2008.

Last edited by floridasandy; 03-11-2010 at 11:52 AM..

Old 03-11-2010, 11:36 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,827,988 times
He's done a much better and quicker job of destroying the dem party goodwill than I could've dreamed. Who else could've taken an overwhelming dem majority of congress, a filibuster proof majority in the senate, unanimous congressional leader support and the screaming party fringe, and been so utterly inept at getting his pet project passed?

Old 03-11-2010, 11:57 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,440,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
the nicest thing i can say about obama is that i don't dislike him any more than i disliked bush.

you seriously have to be kidding if you think he is doing a good job. we are in the party phase of this non-recovery -the daddy is giving you the credit card so you can go out and buy stuff phase- and the paying phase hasn't even hit yet.

obama has dug the united states a pretty deep hole to try to dig itself out of, and he seems to be trying to hurt the private sector at every opportunity.

using american money to subsidize foreign oil companies, but trying to shut our own oil industry down. (in today's business forum)

forcing americans to undergo yet more scrutiny at airports including invasive body scanners because he refuses to use common sense and profile likely terrorists, thereby increasing the cost of travel and inconvenience for americans.

leaving our borders open.

ramping up wars and war spending, and the stupidity of accepting the peace prize and cash when he knew what he was going to do. (what a hypocrite!)

ignoring illegal immigration and pretending it doesn't affect unemployment.

not firing napolitano after the bomber debacle.

giving american taxpayer money to the IMF so they can try and strong arm other countries.

the stupid cap and trade tax/ global warming whatever you want to call it, which will cost americans money and drag american business down.

the stupid cash for clunkers program, where foreign auto sales went up and good cars were destroyed, putting them out of the range of the poorest citizens.

favoritism to the unions and certain states in the health care bill.

the secrecy involved in all negotiations involving the government now and all the closed door tactics.

favoritism to big pharma in the health care bill, including banning access to cheaper drugs.

complaining about the insurance companies robbing americans, then demanding that mandatory health insurance be purchased or americans face potential jail time.

defending the banking bonuses after hiring a pay "czar" to combat them.

the whole GITMO disaster and releasing terrorists to terrorize again, while we still go fight them.

appointing geithner to be the treasury secretary, even while knowing that geithner chose not to pay his own taxes and then defending him. (not to mention the real reason he appointed geithner).

and add this simple little economic reality:
In 2010, under an assumption that no legislative changes occur, CBO estimates that federal spending will total $3.5 trillion and revenues will total $2.2 trillion. The resulting deficit of about $1.3 trillion would be just $65 billion less than last year’s shortfall and more than three times the size of the deficit recorded in 2008.

Thank you for getting it all laid out exactly the way things have gone, and not so good either. Let the truth be told.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies