Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 03:46 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times

Advertisements

I wonder how many people here can read this opinion piece and not see themselves in it. I managed to see me as well as the people who really dislike how I think and write. I wonder if this man is all wrong in what he says about us and what we have become.

http://townhall.com/columnists/Thoma...cial_stupidity

The experiences of life can help people outgrow whatever they were indoctrinated with. What may persist, however, is the lazy habit of hearing one side of an issue and being galvanized into action without hearing the other side-- and, more fundamentally, not having developed any mental skills that would enable you to systematically test one set of beliefs against another.

Just how much of that paragraph doesn't fit all of us here, left or right? I don't know very many who it doesn't fit to a T.

Last edited by roysoldboy; 03-10-2010 at 04:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 03:59 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,708,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I wonder how many people here can read this opinion piece and not see themselves in it. I managed to see me as well as the people who really dislike how I think and write. I wonder if this man is all wrong in what he says about us and what we have become.

Conservative Columnists and Political Commentary (http://townhall.com/columnists/Thomas - broken link) Sowell/2010/03/10/artificial_stupidity

The experiences of life can help people outgrow whatever they were indoctrinated with. What may persist, however, is the lazy habit of hearing one side of an issue and being galvanized into action without hearing the other side-- and, more fundamentally, not having developed any mental skills that would enable you to systematically test one set of beliefs against another.

Just how much of that paragraph doesn't fit all of us here, left or right? I don't know very many who it doesn't fit to a T.
I was called ingorant for having looked at both sides of global worming and saying hoter is better. Go figure.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:06 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming View Post
I was called ingorant for having looked at both sides of global worming and saying hoter is better. Go figure.
Last night I was watching the History Channel's thing about the formation of the Earth and heard that the Earth was covered with ice just over 3 million years ago and that heating took place from under the crust as it was pushed up from pressure. That caused the melting of the ice and the Earth became what it is now, slowly. I guess that story is lots of proof that there was Global Warming and that it came about slowly but that it had to come at the right time or we wouldn't be here arguing about anything.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Last night I was watching the History Channel's thing about the formation of the Earth and heard that the Earth was covered with ice just over 3 million years ago and that heating took place from under the crust as it was pushed up from pressure. That caused the melting of the ice and the Earth became what it is now, slowly. I guess that story is lots of proof that there was Global Warming and that it came about slowly but that it had to come at the right time or we wouldn't be here arguing about anything.
So much had to go correct for us to be sitting here arguing about politics and such that it kind of makes you stop and think....

Old 03-10-2010, 04:25 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times
Quote:

Thomas Sowell : Artificial Stupidity - Townhall.com

Why would someone at townhall be telling you guys to become liberals?

That's odd.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:29 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,328,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming View Post
That's it, just keep spelling it the way it sounds to you, go fish.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:21 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,069,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
That's it, just keep spelling it the way it sounds to you, go fish.

While you're browsing through your dictionary searching for spelling errors, you may come across "ad hominem".

Old 03-10-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
While you're browsing through your dictionary searching for spelling errors, you may come across "ad hominem".

Old 03-10-2010, 08:30 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,368,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Why would someone at townhall be telling you guys to become liberals?

That's odd.
I am not sure if you were being sarcastic but that is not what the writer was implying.He was talking about weighing the ideas from both sides of a issue and then making a conclusion.He accused many of hearing only one side of the debate from the team they support and ignoring the other.I think I would call that having a closed mind set.
I do not fall in that catagory,there is ideas from the left and the right that I support.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:07 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,382,800 times
Quote:

Left or right it fits A LOT of people. I think it simply behooves us to recognize this. I consider myself an open minded, tolerant person, but I know I have biases. Being aware of this allows me to not react in a knee jerk response. What is most disturbing about American media today is how it pits people against each other. "You're a lib (or con) so you are naturally my enemy on these issues." It's the type of dumbed down response that really hurts us actually, but I don't think many want to think about this. It's so much easier to get riled up against "the other." Lazy acceptance and automatic interpretation of media output is a real downfall for us Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies