Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 09:23 PM

377 posts, read 326,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Do you really think Unions/union leaders have got away from the Mafia?
If you think they have, you have been drinking the kool-aide!

Look how involved the SEIU Union head is with the White House!!!!
Look at the entire President and cabinet, along with advisers and entire administration.
Chicago Mafia style politics. Ever really looked at Ralm's background?
Aside from your baseless mafia insult, would you please quantify how unions are hurting labor?

IN a dollars and cents analysis, explain to me how unions hurt the average unionized worker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 09:24 PM

377 posts, read 326,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedman View Post
We knew better than to do that. If they did vote them in I would have been the first person to quit.
How unfortunate that you willingly surrendered a better bargaining position.

Why on earth would you do that? It's contrary to your own interests.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:33 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
In Michigan, about 75 percent of construction workers choose not to belong to unions. This sizable majority performs most of the work and is thus highly experienced.
By excluding the majority of workers and taking bids from only union contractors, municipalities and developers unnecessarily pay as much as 20 percent more, with taxpayers directly footing the bill on state and local government projects.
On private development projects, restricting bids to union-only contractors can exclude local workers and force developers to hire outside the region or even the state.
In addition to discriminating against workers based on labor affiliation, union-only project-labor agreements often exclude a large percentage of women and minority workers, groups severely under-represented in organized labor. Many organizations, including the National Association of Women Business Owners and the National Black Chamber of Commerce, have expressed their opposition to such agreements.
Who gains? A small number of union contractors who enjoy a financial monopoly on new development.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:34 PM

817 posts, read 853,365 times
[quote=Buckhorn;13284206]How unfortunate that you willingly surrendered a better bargaining position.

Why on earth would you do that? It's contrary to your own interests.[/QUOTE

Because I'm crazy like that.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:32 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhorn View Post
Aside from your baseless mafia insult, would you please quantify how unions are hurting labor?

IN a dollars and cents analysis, explain to me how unions hurt the average unionized worker.

Ever really looked at Ralm's background? His mother, Marsha Smulevitz, was the daughter of a Chicago MOB union organizer.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:36 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I do not like, nor see the need for, most labor unions in this day and age.

NOTE: I am speaking specifically about the United States.
Then you either A) haven't spent much time in the America workforce. B) Blissfully buying into Republican talking points or C) a combination of both.

I could rattle off a handful of situations that I personally know of where unions would have protected me or someone I know, and that's just off the top of my head.

Unions provide the same checks and balances that we need (and have) in our government. It's the same theory, just on a small scale.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:56 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,160,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
If that is what allowed me to be my own person, beholding to no one, not the government, and not the union, yes, I'd take it.
And interesting mindset, I own a company in another country employing thirty odd. Now you are the type of worker I like, pulling your forelock to me the boss while I pay you 25% of what my other workers are getting. You would prefer to be poorly paid rather than join an organisation, different.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:04 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times
Quote:
When I worked in automotive manufacturing one of our plants voted in the U.A.W. and they ended up with lower wages....
I suspect you're leaving something out of your comment here....like the fact that they probably got some other type of benefit that more than made up for the lower wages like health care coverage or more likely pension rights?

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 03-14-2010 at 12:19 AM..

Old 03-14-2010, 12:13 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Ever really looked at Ralm's background? His mother, Marsha Smulevitz, was the daughter of a Chicago MOB union organizer.
The days of mod bosses and Jimmy Hoffa style union management are long gone. Now, there are laws that protect union members from corruption higher up including requirements for open books that have to be audited by outside accounting firms and shown to the membership and anyone else interested. I know nothing about Ralm's grandfather's connection with unions but just his age alone would tell me he was from a different era. An era when both sides of the labor/management coin had blood on their hands, so to speak.

Just curious. Do you take full responsibility for what your grandparents might have done or not done?

Old 03-14-2010, 12:16 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
So if I own a company I'm not allowed to do what I want with it?
Is this part of the liberal freedom of choice agenda?
Yes, it is. Liberals frown on you having slaves, or burning your building down for the insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies