Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 08:44 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times

Advertisements

The whole thing is just another government attempt at social engineering. Using the excuse that sugar leads to poor health, which leads to higher costs for tax payers opens all kinds of doors. Such as:

Banning skate boards because they cause injury

Banning bicycles because they result in more accidents and deaths than an automobile

Rock climbing

Hiking trails (might fall down and go boom)

Motorcycles

etc.

The government needs to do what it is responsible for and stay the h*ll out of social engineering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 08:50 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
There was actually very little truth in his post.
Sugar is not being subsidized. Corn is being subsidized and chemically altered to be used as a cheap substitute for sugar.

Our government is the one that pushed HFCS as a cheap substitute.
Corporations were only too happy to jump on board to use it as an ingredient.
Sugar IS subsidized!

Sugar's Sweet Deal - Forbes.com

Why Congress Should Repeal Sugar Subsidy | Chris Edwards | Cato Institute: Daily Commentary

Old 03-12-2010, 08:50 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The whole thing is just another government attempt at social engineering. .
Actually, it's more likely just a way to raise extra bucks under the guise that it's being done for your well being.

I was going to say 'for your welfare' but that would made it a double entendre

Old 03-12-2010, 08:53 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,083,002 times
What's next? My bet is salt. I'd wager money that a "sodium tax" is enacted...all in the name of protecting us from ourselves, of course.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:57 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
But once you add the sugar tariff it negates the subsidy.

Accidental Hedonist - Tariffs and Subsidies - The Literal Cost of High Fructose Corn Syrup (http://www.accidentalhedonist.com/index.php/2006/01/24/tariffs_and_subsidies_the_literal_cost_o - broken link)

"Why is HFCS so much cheaper than cane sugar? The answer to that question may surprise you.
Because the government wants it that way.
The Federal Government accomplishes this in two major ways:
  • Sugar Tariffs
  • Corn and Sugar Subsidies
Add these two variables together, and the result is sweetener made from corn.
We inflate the cost of sugar, lower the cost of corn, and Archer Daniels Midlands buys an excessive amount of corn at excessively low costs in order to make HFCS."

Old 03-12-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
What's next? My bet is salt. I'd wager money that a "sodium tax" is enacted...all in the name of protecting us from ourselves, of course.
LOL..already a thread on that today..NYC wants restaurants to stop using salt. Betcha they'll add a special tax if they continue to use it.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:01 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,083,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
sugar is a killer?????? so you are saying fruits are killers.??????loaded with sugar......................are you saying breads and carbs are killers?????? carbs become sugars..

sugar is not a killer for the brain and body

ANYTHING in excess is a killer, moderation is good
Aint that the truth. A girl at my old job was on a diet, and was telling about what she could/couldn't eat. She was telling me that natural fruits were a no-no, because they have sugar, but she could drink all of the diet soda she wanted because it has zero calories

Old 03-12-2010, 09:06 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But once you add the sugar tariff it negates the subsidy.

Accidental Hedonist - Tariffs and Subsidies - The Literal Cost of High Fructose Corn Syrup (http://www.accidentalhedonist.com/index.php/2006/01/24/tariffs_and_subsidies_the_literal_cost_o - broken link)

"Why is HFCS so much cheaper than cane sugar? The answer to that question may surprise you.
Because the government wants it that way.
The Federal Government accomplishes this in two major ways:
  • Sugar Tariffs
  • Corn and Sugar Subsidies
Add these two variables together, and the result is sweetener made from corn.
We inflate the cost of sugar, lower the cost of corn, and Archer Daniels Midlands buys an excessive amount of corn at excessively low costs in order to make HFCS."

I understand the overall effect but stating that sugar was not subsidized was untruthful and misleading of you.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Aint that the truth. A girl at my old job was on a diet, and was telling about what she could/couldn't eat. She was telling me that natural fruits were a no-no, because they have sugar, but she could drink all of the diet soda she wanted because it has zero calories
But, this is the dumbing down of America.
That anyone can be made to believe a can full of chemicals is better for your diet than fruit is just astounding. And you know...these people honestly believe it because they either "read it" or someone told them.

They honestly have no idea.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I understand the overall effect but stating that sugar was not subsidized was untruthful and misleading of you.
Ok..go back and read my reply. I was replying to a poster who commented on "sugar subsidy" in a post that stated "corn subsidy".

People are confusing "sugar" with "HFCS" and think they are one in the same. They are not. I was not trying to get into the various commodity subsidies but to clarify that the sweetner in question is corn based and it's cheapness compared to sugar is based on subsidy.

You do understand and I'm sorry if I threw you off with my post but I was just trying to clarify that it was corn, not sugar that had the big subsidy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies