Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 10:42 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Did you vote for the Democrats last time? I didn't think so. And you were not going to vote for them THIS time. On the other hand, I did vote for the Democrats last time and if they don't pass "Obamacare" I will not vote for them next time. So they cannot WIN you but they can LOSE me.
So why are they afraid of townhall meetings? You go to those, too, don't you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 10:51 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyJersey View Post
A better question: If Obamacare is so great, why hasn't it been passed yet?

If it were really that good, you wouldn't be seeing Pelosi struggling for House votes.

You would see a public that supports THIS bill.

If it were really that good, there would be a couple of moderate Republicans (Snowe, Collins) who would be getting behind it.

The answer is simple. THIS bill is not THAT good. Every voting member is aware of that, the public is aware of that.
If Obamacare were good: the public would be behind it. They are not.

If Obamacare were good it would not take bribes, threats, and appointements to garner the votes. Proof has shown us it takes bribes, threats and appointments to gain needed votes.

If Obamacare were good it: would actually reduce the cost of health insurance, it does not. It raises the costs for most Americans who already pay for their insurance.

If Obamacare were good: it would not further ration health care. It does further ration health care.

If Obamacare were good: we wouldn't hear of family practicioners who are swearing to retire/leave their practices when it passes. Instead doctors are saying they will stop practicing medicine if/when Obamacare passes.

Snowe & Collins should never be mistaken for "moderate" Republicans, they are Progressives in RINO clothing.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:52 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Why are they afraid? Because (for one or more of the reasons below)...
1. They are also sold out to corporate interests
2. They are ideologues and can't look beyond self.
3. They are scared of the stupid, the self-defeaters
4. They are wary of lies taking over sanity. It is always easier to polarize people based on lies and misrepresentations, and that makes it a more daunting task.
5. Change is not easy.
But they work for the people they represent. Should they do whatever they want to regardless of what their constituents want because they think they know best? Who says they know best? Townhall meetings should not be confrontational if they are doing their job as the voice in Washington of the people they represent. At best, townhall meetings should be informative and they should not be so desperate to pass something before they talk again with the people who sent the politicians to DC to speak for them.

I did hear one person in Congress, and I can't remember which one but I think it was a female, who said she did not agree with her constituents but such a large percentage of them disagrees with the bill she's voting against it because that's why they sent her to DC.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:58 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
But they work for the people they represent.
No they don't. And especially when they must woo to the stupid, they hold a upper hand. But don't pick one, as I said multiple reasons may apply.

Quote:
Should they do whatever they want to regardless of what their constituents want because they think they know best?
To quote Hitler:
"What good fortune for governments that the people do not think"

He also believed:
"All propaganda has to be popular and has to accommodate itself to the comprehension of the least intelligent of those whom it seeks to reach."

There's a lot of truth in those two quotes. Masses are easy to be misled. If lies weren't easier, and truth often a difficult pill... Unfortunately, the opposition that you speak of, also lead to compromises that hurt the very purpose of a plan that, trust me, more people want than not. It not only dilutes the effectiveness, sometimes it makes a mess of it. The half cooked meals lead to upset stomach that, we as a nation, have gotten too used to.

Why do we need health insurance companies? Why not just patient and doctors/nurses?

Old 03-13-2010, 03:39 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Who is afraid of townhall meetings? My democratic rep had one, albeit in a tent at a Labor Day festival.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:46 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
I would think that they would be glad to tell their constituents that they voted for a system that raises taxes two years before all the alleged benefits begin.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:39 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Never been to one. Did go to a health fair that was kind of a TH though.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:58 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Of course, that isn't why Obama selected March 18 as the deadline, is it? Pelosi, lady, you know just what is going on here and Laura has stated it very well.
No, they have a spring break.

Update: Obama put off his trip to Indonesia and Australia until March 21.
On Thursday, both Gibbs and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said the House was close to finalizing a strategy for pushing a previously passed Senate bill through the lower chamber, but that the deal might require a few extra days. By postponing his trip, Obama effectively gives the House some breathing room, preserving the hope that members will be able to depart the Capitol for their Easter break two weeks from today with a deal in their pockets.
President Obama delays Indonesia, Australia trip for health care push - Glenn Thrush - POLITICO.com

Old 03-14-2010, 03:37 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
We have been fighting over this for a YEAR. It is time to vote and be done with it. I think it has a 51/49 chance of passing.

or even a 51/49 chance of losing.

Old 03-14-2010, 04:29 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Did you vote for the Democrats last time? I didn't think so. And you were not going to vote for them THIS time. On the other hand, I did vote for the Democrats last time and if they don't pass "Obamacare" I will not vote for them next time. So they cannot WIN you but they can LOSE me.

Last I heard 57% of likely voters oppose Obamacare. What you do or don't do is beyond irrelevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies