Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 11:34 PM

216 posts, read 645,915 times

Advertisements

Root problem? Dumb axx war this country is spending $$$$$$ every day on ......for what? Why are "over there"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 01:20 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Troubling isn't it, that the younger generations have been completely brainwashed into believing this Marxist "social justice" and "re-distribution of wealth" garbage.

They have no real perspective on history as their texts have been re-written to be P.C.. And, rather than the virtue and value of individual responsibility they are taught to take what belongs to others in the name of "social justice" and to blame those who came before.

This division of the young from the preceding generations is of design, it is necessary for the youth to believe they have been disenfranchised, in order to romance them into the "cause" of Marxism.

It's going to be especially bad now that in many parts of the country, more children are being born to mothers on welfare than to working parents. In some schools, more than 80% of students "qualify" for free lunches. A very large number of children are born into Medicaid, food stamps, WIC. Living off the government is actually more and more the norm.

They won't identify with older people who are approaching retirement years after working for many decades who now expect to get some of that money they paid in back. They will see them as the greedy selfish former taxpayers who simply don't want to share.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:14 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Colleges will get more financial support with football than with lacrosse that is for sure.
However, you were referring to the Chicago Public Schools. I am very supportive of kids who play non-traditional sports getting a chance to do their thing, too.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:55 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
However, you were referring to the Chicago Public Schools. I am very supportive of kids who play non-traditional sports getting a chance to do their thing, too.
Of course nothing really stops their parents from organizing these sports for their kids, buying a few supplies. There is no need for the schools to promote these non-traditional sports that don't need a stadium because no one comes out to see them play.

Look at kids who like to ride horses. Instead of demanding the schools - the taxpayers provide them horses, stables, hay, saddles and so on, the parents just do it themselves.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:56 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
On this subject I have read endless "punditorials" proclaiming the problems with the current systems in place. The solution is easy. Change the system. To change the system all you need to do is insure that those who have paid into the system all their lives get their fair share back out of the system. If the majority of the young don't want to participate in the SS system then let them opt out or create a new mechinism. All this is so much easier said than done, though. Nobody has figured out a way to pay for those currently on SS if the younger generation opts out nor pay back the money people have currently contributed to the system. Also nobody has figured out an alternate system for dealing with those who are physically disabled and unable to make a living or be supported financially by their family. Bear in mind that 99.9% of the disabled do not choose to be. The same people who want to dismantle SS also are totally against universal health care in this country so any real options for compassionately dealing with the situation is impossible.

Come up with an alternative to SS that is equitable and fair to all who have paid, all who are receiving it and all who currently pay into it and problem solved. The problem is that nobody has been able to come up with any solutions. Listening to the same old tired finger pointing is.....well......pointless. Ony thing I've ever heard on the subject is that "Boomers are self indulgent and the cause of the SS problem" or "the young are mean spirited and selfish and want to take the food out of the mouths of their elders." Personally, I'm tired of the same old diatribes on the subject. Give me some real alternatives.

Last edited by mohawkx; 03-14-2010 at 11:22 AM..

Old 03-14-2010, 10:18 AM

4,562 posts, read 4,103,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Didn't we have a bad economy for most of the 70's with those taxes?
Aren't we having a bad economy now with lower taxes than even the end of the Reagan era?

Didn't we have a pretty decent economy in the 50's with even higher taxes than in the 70's.

Taxes alone do not create a bad economy. Inept business decisions by a large number of people can also do it (such as creating a housing bubble).

Old 03-14-2010, 10:29 AM

4,562 posts, read 4,103,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Of course nothing really stops their parents from organizing these sports for their kids, buying a few supplies. There is no need for the schools to promote these non-traditional sports that don't need a stadium because no one comes out to see them play.

Its called free time. Most parents who would be willing to do something like that, don't have it. They're out working or commuting home when it would be time to hold practices or a game.
Also arguing no one comes to watch these kids play is irrelevant. The important thing is kids are getting out there, excercising and competing. Even sports that aren't football or basketball become popular when the team starts winning. I've witnessed girls volleyball regularly sell out when the program has gone to state finals multiple times, while basketball dwindles in audience because of losing records.

Look at kids who like to ride horses. Instead of demanding the schools - the taxpayers provide them horses, stables, hay, saddles and so on, the parents just do it themselves.
Big difference. Running some extra sports team usually involves parents supplying equipment, while 1 or 2 teachers (who are already at the school and can readily coach) run practices, and they do it pretty cheap too. Not feeding and sheltering an animal the size of five people. A lot cheaper than some private league accessable to only the elite. Most of these sports have a tiny stipend in the school program. Coaches really get little more than minimum wage when all of their hours are factored in.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:38 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Didn't we have a bad economy for most of the 70's with those taxes?
I was in the 70% tax bracket 77-79 paying 21% interest for the tax shelters I needed to keep from going broke.

I had to borrow the down payments for the tax shelters, and then pay 21% on all of the loans.

But there was relief built in - all of the tax shelters had a 10 year balloon, where you could (had to) pay off all of the "shelters" with another loan for money that was worth less.

I would have come out a lot richer by going on unemployment.

I should have stuck with marijuana farming to finance my lobster ranch in Seattle.

Honesty just don't pay!

Old 03-14-2010, 11:05 AM

7,530 posts, read 11,367,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming View Post
This is a simptom of wealth redistribtion that has been going on for 30 years. (1981) That was when it started. Redistributing wealth back to where it was in the 1970's would help things a bit.
I wanted to come back to this with this question. Many feel that the solution is to tax the rich more. But I've heard it pointed out that the problem here is that America only has so many rich people to tax. Eventually taxes will have to be increased on the middle class to fund entitlement programs. So is there any merit to this view?

Old 03-14-2010, 12:16 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

I take it your kids play football, basketball, volleyball or some other popular sports. All high school sports cost the schools money, even, may especially even football. Lots of guys go out for football, so they need more coaches. Our district even pays the football coaches more. They build these fancy stadiums. The facilities are already there for lacrosse. There is a big difference between playing for some parent-organized group and playing for one's school. My kids did both club and high school gymnastics, I know the difference. I would say what's good for the goose is good for the gander.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies