Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2010, 04:03 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Those conservatives who relish in insulting Obama ARE the exception and NOT the rule.
Take a look around at the conservatives here on CD. You have yourself, nminta and maybe one or two other conservatives on here who can have discussions and disagreements over Obama's policies without resorting to insults. Without naming any names, its pretty obvious we have many more than that which do engage in such insults and attacks, hell just look at this thread...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 04:04 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Let me help you: watching TV doesnt give you the same depth that transcripts do.

Obama: I think it’s a remarkable document.

Helfrich: Which one?

Obama: The original Constitution as well as the Civil War amendments but I think it is an imperfect document and I think it is a document that reflects some deep flaws in American culture, the Colonial culture nascent at that time. African-Americans were not, first of all they weren’t African-Americans. The Africans of the time were not considered a part of the polity that was of concern to the Framers. I think that as Richard said it was a nagging problem in the same way that today we might think of environmental issues and some other problems where you have to balance cost benefits as opposed to seeing it as a moral problem involving persons of moral worth. And in that sense I think we can say that the Constitution reflected an enormous blind spot in this culture that carries on until this day and that the Framers had that same blind spot. I don’t think the two views are contradictory: to say that it was a remarkable political document that paved the way for where we are now and to say that it reflected the fundamental flaw of this country that continues to this day.

Old 03-14-2010, 04:05 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,742,119 times
This thread is almost not worth responding to except to say the OP seriously needs to consider medication.

Old 03-14-2010, 04:07 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,023,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
this is a hilarious thread! So A President (Obama) who happens to be a Constitutional scholar hates the Constitution?

silly huh

Old 03-14-2010, 04:09 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,567,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Let me help you: watching TV doesnt give you the same depth that transcripts do.

Obama: The original Constitution as well as the Civil War amendments but I think it is an imperfect document and I think it is a document that reflects some deep flaws in American culture, the Colonial culture nascent at that time. African-Americans were not, first of all they weren’t African-Americans. The Africans of the time were not considered a part of the polity that was of concern to the Framers. I think that as Richard said it was a nagging problem in the same way that today we might think of environmental issues and some other problems where you have to balance cost benefits as opposed to seeing it as a moral problem involving persons of moral worth. And in that sense I think we can say that the Constitution reflected an enormous blind spot in this culture that carries on until this day and that the Framers had that same blind spot. I don’t think the two views are contradictory: to say that it was a remarkable political document that paved the way for where we are now and to say that it reflected the fundamental flaw of this country that continues to this day.

Thank you delusianne! It is nice to have a President who knows what he is talking about regarding the Constitution! Now imagine Dubya trying to explain the same!

Old 03-14-2010, 04:10 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theolsarge View Post
Have a real hard time making somebody believe that. But that's another string.
How many conservatives do you know personally where you are certain that the majority of us relish in insulting Obama? CD posters don't count as we are a small subset of conservatives in the US.

Old 03-14-2010, 04:20 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post

Thanks for posting this and proving my earlier point to the OP about editing quotes to mislead.

Old 03-14-2010, 04:24 PM

805 posts, read 774,298 times
[quote=ArtinChicago;13291332]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtinChicago View Post

Laura Hollis : A President Who Won't Uphold the Constitution? Never. - Townhall.com

Laura Hollis' prescient and comprehensive article is right on target!
quote]

OBEY ALFRED E. NEUMAN - Boing Boing

Expanding on that last quote Hollis continued... "The rest of Obama’s observations during this interview are just as asinine, and just as threatening. He says, generally the Constitution is a charter of negative liberties: [It] says what the states can’t do to you, says what the federal government can’t do to you, but it doesn’t say what the federal government or the state government must do on your behalf.”
This is deception.
As an initial matter, few listening to him would understand the gobbledygook, “negative liberties.”
But more importantly, he never explains that the United States Constitution is the oldest constitution in effect in the world. And that is no accident.
It is the oldest, because it is the only constitution I am aware of that is drafted the way it is.
Specifically, other constitutions list certain rights that the government conveys upon the people. Or, to put it as Obama did, the things “government must do on your behalf.”

Our Constitution, by contrast, has precisely the opposite construction.
We, the people, are presumed to have all the rights, not just those written down in the Constitution. (And the Declaration of Independence states that these rights are “endowed by our Creator;” not by any government.)
Lest this be unclear, the drafters of the Constitution put it in writing. [for emphasis]
Lest this be unclear, the drafters of the Constitution put it in writing.
Lest this be unclear, the drafters of the Constitution put it in writing.

The Ninth Amendment says, “The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.”
And the Tenth Amendment goes further, stating explicitly that “The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States, respectively, or to the people.”
Obama is engaging in dangerous demagoguery when he suggests that we the people of the United States need him – or the government he wants in place – to give us rights we don’t already have.

We don't need something we already have! - So butt out Barry E. Neuman!
ObaMao is a "cafeteria" Constitutionalist.

Damn it, he's going to give you rights if they are enumerated in the Constitution or not.

DeathCare, you betcha... Constitutionally Not a Right
A job, you betcha... Constitutionally Not a Right
Decent housing... Constitutionally Not a Right
99 weeks of Unemployment Compensation... Constitutionally Not a Right
Welfare... Constitutionally Not a Right
A New Cadillac in everybody's garage... Constitutionally Not a Right
Flat theater sized HD T.V. ... Constitutionally Not a Right

760 posts, read 1,271,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
How many conservatives do you know personally where you are certain that the majority of us relish in insulting Obama? CD posters don't count as we are a small subset of conservatives in the US.
Conservative CD posters, by and large, not all, but most, tend to be the extreme wing version of the conservative movement, the Fascist constituency. I know many Republicans and conservatives who would be appalled by the comments on here by conservatives.

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
I know, why dont they actually read these things themselves?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies