Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 10:03 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,019,000 times

Advertisements

Care to dispute the numbers?

We know the current report counts 10 years of revenue, 6 of expenses.

We know it doesn't include the 'doctor fix'.

It doesn't include the 100+ billion needed in annual spending just to implement and run the programs.

Seems like the former head of the CBO might just understand the numbers a littler better than most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 10:04 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
The write of the op-ed piece - yes, a former director of the CBO - is president of the American Action Forum.
The American Action Forum will lead the policy debate and will seek the input of center-right leaders who understand that government has an important, but limited role in protecting our freedoms, promoting the free-market, and helping our citizens. The American Action Forum seeks to shape and improve the substance and tone of the debate in Congress and elsewhere. We seek to support those who believe in a vibrant private sector complemented by effective, tightly-articulated policies where the government has a unique role. We will engage in an intellectual battle with reflexive liberals who see continued growth in the size and power of the federal government as the only solution.
Not exactly a source of objective analysis.
Perhaps his experience with the CBO influenced this gentleman to join the AAF

Old 03-21-2010, 10:13 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyJersey View Post
Care to dispute the numbers?
Right before YOU sight just 3 ways to dispute the numbers by HUNDREDS OF BILLIONS..
Quote:
We know the current report counts 10 years of revenue, 6 of expenses. Which offsets the numbers by hundreds of billions..

We know it doesn't include the 'doctor fix'. Another $250Billion

It doesn't include the 100+ billion needed in annual spending just to implement and run the programs. Whats another $100 Billion among friends..
Hell, the total off by YOUR account is ONLY $500 BILLION DOLLARS...
Quote:
Seems like the former head of the CBO might just understand the numbers a littler better than most.
Um yeah, but you just showed by your own example how they are wrong by -500%.. (i.e. $100B surplus vs the $500 Billion is other expenses)... And this is ONLY what YOU counted...

Old 03-21-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Right before YOU sight just 3 ways to dispute the numbers by HUNDREDS OF BILLIONS..

Hell, the total off by YOUR account is ONLY $500 BILLION DOLLARS...

Um yeah, but you just showed by your own example how they are wrong by -500%.. (i.e. $100B surplus vs the $500 Billion is other expenses)... And this is ONLY what YOU counted...
umm...I'm agreeing with you. And the former director of the CBO. Who says this will result in an increase to the deficit of over 500 billion.

I don't usually use icons, but this one calls for one...

maybe two...

Old 03-21-2010, 10:35 AM

My bad...forgot to include GreenGene's post on my previous post. I was asking him to respond to the numbers, not the messenger.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:19 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
umm...I'm agreeing with you.
From this side of the screen, your response looks like you were calling the CBO numbers accurate and anyone who questioned them by ignoring all of the other bills and spending wrong..

Old 03-21-2010, 01:22 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
Repeal is going to be the center piece of politics up to and including November election day. We'll all become well versed in the talking points as well as deceptions of the bill by then.

Speaking of election day... and the new Congress...

Ron Paul for Speaker
I'm not a R. Paul supporter for President, but for Speaker...that would be a winner. He'd probably get more done and be more effective in that role than any other. It will be quite a job to un-do the damage of Madame Pelosi's "Wh*re-House".

Old 03-21-2010, 01:30 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,449,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Perhaps his experience with the CBO influenced this gentleman to join the AAF
{chuckle} Could be!

Quote:
My bad...forgot to include GreenGene's post on my previous post. I was asking him to respond to the numbers, not the messenger.
With an op-ed (i.e., personal opinion) written by someone removed from the process, learning something about that person helps inform me of any possible bias that person may bring to the task.

Choosing between the CBO numbers and the numbers given by a former member of the CBO, I'll take the CBO numbers.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:59 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Maybe not, the Republicans should make repeal a center piece of the November elections.
I hope they do.

"If I am elected, I promise to allow insurance companies to deny those with preexisting conditions, I promise to restore the right of insurance companies to cap your benefits, I promise to make sure that if you become too sick that an insurance company can drop you like a red headed step child... if I am elected!"

Please, oh please let that be the center piece of the GOP campaigns.

Old 03-21-2010, 02:44 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,170,790 times
Quote:
...by a former directer of the CBO.

Wonder how it's possible to insure more, expand benefits, and still reduce the deficit? It's not, of course.

Garbage in, Garbage out. They can only score what's given to them. Does anyone really believe it's pure coincidence that the CBO score came out exactly where it needed to be?

Not that it will make a difference. This thing will pass today; the true economic burden will be felt for decades.

Op-Ed Contributor - The Real Arithmetic of Health Care Reform - NYTimes.com

Could you please explain Eakin's math.

Quote:
Removing the unrealistic annual Medicare savings ($463 billion) and the stolen annual revenues from Social Security and long-term care insurance ($123 billion), and adding in the annual spending that so far is not accounted for ($114 billion) quickly generates additional deficits of $562 billion in the first 10 years. And the nation would be on the hook for two more entitlement programs rapidly expanding as far as the eye can see.
Conservative arithmetic 463+123+114=562
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies