Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 12:35 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times

Advertisements

I work at a hosital in the boiler room. We began the process of renovating this old building before Obama became president. We have another year or two before it's finished. We're spending a fortune to enlarge patient rooms and move to more energy efficient and enviromentally friendly technology. You would think that having universal healthcare would increase our hospital's income. Well, you ever wonder why so many doctors and hospitals stop accepting medicare/medicade? Once the cost to the federal government starts to go up, the government will begin to set price limits or limits on doctor visits or limits on test or limits on proceedures. As hospital income goes down, so goes staffing, purchasing new technologically advanced medical devices, and building up keep and repair. Our department is cut back to the point that on nights and weekends there is only one person to cover all trouble calls for the entire hospital as well as monitoring the hospital's heating and cooling system, fire alarm system, medical gas system, and our emergency generators. And yet the fools who voted for this monstrosity of a bill are completely exempt from everything in the bill. A republican politician proposed adding that all members of congress's health care would also fall under this bill and the Democrats voted him down. Pucking Elitist. Do as I say, not as I do. I only hope they lose their jobs before I lose mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 12:40 AM

760 posts, read 1,271,891 times
This bill is not universal health care. What is medicade? Is that like gatorade?

Old 03-22-2010, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyPants View Post
This bill is not universal health care. What is medicade? Is that like gatorade?
Keep telling yourself that it isn't universal health care as you watch more and more people on the government rolls and more insurance companies pulling out of health care coverage.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:43 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
This is actually great news for Hospitals. One of the biggest problems Hospitals face is the cost of treating the uninsured. They have to eat that cost.

This is an article from about a year ago about a few Hospitals here on Long Island and the costs they faced from treating the uninsured.

Quote:
North Shore-LIJ treated several hundred thousand uninsured people in 2008 at a cost of $53 million, up about 5 percent from the prior year.

Brookhaven Memorial Hospital Medical Center wrote off $10.5 million in charity care in 2008, up from $7.9 million in 2007. South Nassau Communities Hospital in the first quarter of 2009 racked up $7.7 million in uncompensated care, from $6.26 million in the prior comparable quarter. That equals 8.8 percent of revenue, up from 7.6 percent the prior year.

“The total amount of charity care has increased dramatically,” Brookhaven
Memorial spokesman Christopher Banks said. “We’re projecting it will increase
again in 2009.”

While the government pays hospitals back for a portion of their charity care (excluded from the numbers provided to Long Island Business News), it still leaves them with big bills.
Long Island Business News » The new look of the uninsured

Old 03-22-2010, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
This is actually great news for Hospitals. One of the biggest problems Hospitals face is the cost of treating the uninsured. They have to eat that cost.

This is an article from about a year ago about a few Hospitals here on Long Island and the costs they faced from treating the uninsured.

Long Island Business News » The new look of the uninsured
So the minority of our patients (uninsured) will receive federal health care coverage (with all the limits on spending and proceedures) while the majority of our patients will also be reduced on what they can get covered. Increase money from the minority of our patients, decrease money from the majority of our patients. We lose!

Old 03-22-2010, 12:46 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Hope I don't lose my job over this healthcare bill
I hope you don't lose your job either. BUT... if you do it's probably because you are bad at your job and not because of "this healthcare bill"

Old 03-22-2010, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
So the minority of our patients (uninsured) will receive federal health care coverage (with all the limits on spending and proceedures) while the majority of our patients will also be reduced on what they can get covered. Increase money from the minority of our patients, decrease money from the majority of our patients. We lose!
Umm no one's coverage is going to get reduced....

Old 03-22-2010, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I hope you don't lose your job either. BUT... if you do it's probably because you are bad at your job and not becaue of "this healthcare bill"
Ten and a half years on the job says I'm pretty good at my job. The hospital has already begun making cuts to fringe benefits to the nursing staff and they're still looking for more cutbacks just in case this bill passed. They can't cut much more other than employee staffing. There are only four plant operators total. We work rotating shifts. 11pm-7am seven days straight with two days off, 3pm-11pm seven days straight with two days off, and 7am-3pm for six days straight with four days off (our one weekend a month) before starting the rotation all over again. We also don't get overtime for all those days straight. The way they've been making staffing cut backs is to not hire anyone when someone retires or leaves for health reasons. Maintenance is already short 3 people and clinical engineering (repairs medical devices) is short on one. We have a four to five people ready to or nearly ready to retire. So far there's no plan to replace them.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Umm no one's coverage is going to get reduced....
yet,

Old 03-22-2010, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
yet,
Nor will it down the road
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies