Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2010, 04:46 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,230,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Cool, but I'm asking the OP. As for people you know...you know people who live on that amount of money? For real? Please tell me a little about it if you have any details...Food plus medical insurance plus electricity plus taxes on the home/property, plus any emergency that comes up that isn't covered by insurance, etc. all come to less than $245 a month?

Am I being nosy if I ask where? In the nation, I mean.
He hasn't told us what his premium is for his health insurance and what company it is. I have employer sponsored insurance. I have Blue Cross/Blue Shield. I pay out of pocket $180 a month for myself alone. And that's work sponsored! Imagine a single guy with no job!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 04:47 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
They grow a lot of their own food, they built their home themselves debt-free, some of them are on grid some off grid, some of them are in Vermont and get a break on taxes based on income, some of them are in Alaska and have no taxes.

That poster said "week" not month. I don't know anyone making that little each month.
Oh, I see. Week...that was my mistake. A for growing their own food: So initially they were able to buy homes that had enough land to grow enough food to support themselves. (In VT, this is surprising since the growing season is so short, but they must have ONE HUGE property and ONE BIG discount on Mason jars.) But I'll give you the benefit of a doubt that if people are lucky enough to lose their employment-contributed health insurance while sitting on acres of land that they own free and clear, then it's all good, they can live frugally and survive on that tiny amount of money.

However, that does not equate to: Most people should be able to live just fine on tiny amounts of money and still pay for their own health insurance. Unless you're saying most people are in this actually quite blessed (if I may) state of homeownership, owning large plots of land, and/or living in a state with few taxes...etc.

So to say most people should be able to pay for their own health insurance, based on a few friends living lives that most people actually don't live, managing to get by is VERY unrealistic.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
He hasn't told us what his premium is for his health insurance and what company it is. I have employer sponsored insurance. I have Blue Cross/Blue Sheild. I pay out of pocket $180 a month for myself alone. And that's work sponsored! Imagine a single guy with no job!
We pay $240 for four people, HMO, and we consider ourselves unbelievably lucky. We seriously do. I thank my lucky stars every day that I hear about someone not having health insurance, when I think of what we're paying through my husband's company...which is a drop in the bucket compared to what we'd have to pay almost anywhere if we were buying it 100% out-of-pocket.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Maybe you haven't stood up for that, but by and large, the left overall has. The left has supported the various euthanasia ideas.

The progressives are the ones who created the eugenics programs in various states, which lasted through much of the 20th century. Forced sterilizations, etc. I thought this was a fairly well known piece of history?
That it's been liberals who actively pursued eugenics? Euthanasia I can see as being a liberal thing since we/they tend to believe in personal choice...as far as eugenics and also as far as slashing care for the elderly, that may be, and it may have just gone over my head personally. I'm not saying it didn't happen this way. I'm asking for some links or some support as it's something I truly wasn't aware of.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:54 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Why do liberals want to force Americans to have to go to another country to receive timely, high quality healthcare?

Old 03-22-2010, 04:54 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Oh, I see. Week...that was my mistake. A for growing their own food: So initially they were able to buy homes that had enough land to grow enough food to support themselves. (In VT, this is surprising since the growing season is so short, but they must have ONE HUGE property and ONE BIG discount on Mason jars.) But I'll give you the benefit of a doubt that if people are lucky enough to lose their employment-contributed health insurance while sitting on acres of land that they own free and clear, then it's all good, they can live frugally and survive on that tiny amount of money.

However, that does not equate to: Most people should be able to live just fine on tiny amounts of money and still pay for their own health insurance. Unless you're saying most people are in this actually quite blessed (if I may) state of homeownership, owning large plots of land, and/or living in a state with few taxes...etc.

So to say most people should be able to pay for their own health insurance, based on a few friends living lives that most people actually don't live, managing to get by is VERY unrealistic.
I grow much of my food on 20 feet by 40 feet of space, plus a handful of containers. Doesn't take acres, even in the North. None of them I know bought homes already built, they built their own, and on land they generally bought with land contracts (offering low payments).

I didn't say the majority are in such a situation.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
I grow much of my food on 20 feet by 40 feet of space, plus a handful of containers. Doesn't take acres, even in the North. None of them I know bought homes already built, they built their own, and on land they generally bought with land contracts (offering low payments).

I didn't say the majority are in such a situation.
Good...because the majority isn't. I am proud of you, though, for growing your own vegetables. We do too, here, at least as many as we can on the small amount of backyard we have. We are unique in this. I don't know all that many people who can do it.

But I do know an awful lot of people who at least sometimes need doctors. In fact, everyone I know at least occasionally needs a doctor.

The person I quoted was stating that he/she is able to get by on that amount of money and that therefore, others should too. I am saying that others usually can not.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
That it's been liberals who actively pursued eugenics? Euthanasia I can see as being a liberal thing since we/they tend to believe in personal choice...as far as eugenics and also as far as slashing care for the elderly, that may be, and it may have just gone over my head personally. I'm not saying it didn't happen this way. I'm asking for some links or some support as it's something I truly wasn't aware of.
Eugenics and American social history, 1880-1950. [Genome. 1989] - PubMed result

For one. Margaret Sanger is probably the most well known of them but some of them saw her as a bit too radical. The laws stayed on the books into the 70's and maybe later in some states.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Good...because the majority isn't. I am proud of you, though, for growing your own vegetables. We do too, here, at least as many as we can on the small amount of backyard we have. We are unique in this. I don't know all that many people who can do it.

But I do know an awful lot of people who at least sometimes need doctors. In fact, everyone I know at least occasionally needs a doctor.

The person I quoted was stating that he/she is able to get by on that amount of money and that therefore, others should too. I am saying that others usually can not.
Obviously everyone has need of a doctor now and then. I'm not entirely opposed to a safety net of sorts but I don't want so much federal control.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:07 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
For the love that is sanity, will some of you please pick up a book on logical arguments. If reading it doesn't help, please beat yourself in the head with it until it makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies