Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 05:58 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,569,817 times

Advertisements

In my opinion both are options of transportation. Both roads and rails are paid for by DOT. Why do so many drivers think they are better than people who use the other option? I work for AT&T downtown and sometimes people ask me why I do not drive to work. They say things like "trains are for criminals" or "only the poor use the trains". Where does this mentality come from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 06:01 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,940,191 times
They aren't.

Old 03-27-2010, 06:10 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,935,593 times
I totally agree. I don't think, however, that drivers think they are better than mass transit riders, they know they are. Drivers that are facing the forfeiture of their licenses or their wheels are some of the most terrified and dangerous people imaginable. Drivers that are teetering on the edge of bankruptcy allow their fear of having to use mass transit to keep them in their cars until the bank takes it away. The repossession is often violent. Where the mentality comes from? Good question. I hope you get some answers. I for two would like to know. Part of it might have to do with the ratio of money given to mass transit and the resulting quality of mass transit service vs the freedom of your own vehicle.

H

Old 03-27-2010, 06:16 PM

140 posts, read 129,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
In my opinion both are options of transportation. Both roads and rails are paid for by DOT. Why do so many drivers think they are better than people who use the other option? I work for AT&T downtown and sometimes people ask me why I do not drive to work. They say things like "trains are for criminals" or "only the poor use the trains". Where does this mentality come from?
In Chicago you get crap for not having a car? People in CHicago who rely on a car are the dumb ones. The prejudices about public transit are because we're a greedy, dumb country. More public transit would help the economy, create jobs and make us less dependent on oil in the mideast, but that last reason is why we'll never catch up to Japan and Europe with public transit. Oh yeah, we're also a fat, lazy, racist country and fat people who are lazy would have to walk and share a ride with colored folks.

Old 03-27-2010, 06:18 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,443,163 times
It isn't just Chicago -- there are those up here in MN who look down their noses at mass transit too, and we've had to fight for decades to get even a couple of light rail spurs.

It's part of the psychology of driving. People become convinced (marketing has always played a part in this) that they are less reliant on society when they don't use mass transit. It's also politics. The right side of the aisle generally doesn't see it as a priority (at least where I am from).

Old 03-27-2010, 06:43 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,362,151 times
Who gives you guff in Chicago about taking the train to work? Dude, Chicago has one of the most extensive rail networks in the country. Metra provides awesomeness as well (gotta love heavy rail mass transit, I'm still a big kid). So the way I see it, you're doing the city a favor if you do take mass transit. Most people I know in Chicago would rather take the train than drive.

Now if you take the bus I can see people look at you strangely because there's a prejudice against taking the bus. Can't tell you why.

Old 03-27-2010, 06:57 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,888,227 times
Quote:
Could be a joke. I don't have a driver's license and usually bike, but when I take the bus even I make fun of myself. Don't take it too seriously.

I wish we had more options where I live. The bus is about it and doesn't even run after six.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:28 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,025,682 times
Quote:
Oh that mentality gets on my every last nerves. I also utilize public transit for all my transportation needs. I realize that public transit isn't practical for everyone, especially those who live in rural areas. For us city slickers, it does not make sense to deal with bumper to bumper traffic and pay tons of money for parking when often you can commute to downtown areas more efficiently with public transit. I just wish that So California can get its act together and develop more public transit options since our roads cannot accommodate the endless commuters. Our freeways are basically parking lots during rush hours.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:30 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,025,682 times
Quote:
While we are on this subject - why are drivers so inconsiderate as to cut off pedestrians when we are trying to cross at the cross walk? It would not hurt to allow us to cross safely before you make your right-hand turn. After all, drivers can turn on red lights at most intersections so there's really no excuse for not yielding to pedestrians.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:54 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,569,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
They aren't.
Ok explain to me why people that drive act like driving a car is some major accomplishment like high school juniors and seniors????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies