Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 11:37 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,465 times

Advertisements

I have no problem with any flag or any word for that matter, personally though, I wouldn't fly the flag that represented an Idea that got my ass kicked in a war some time ago. That $hit needs to be let go. After the Superbowl who flys the team colors of the losing team. But thats just me, if all my neighbors want to fly the confederate flag so be it. It makes for conversation at barbeques.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 11:48 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,939,872 times
Yeah just want to remind everyone here that you can't cry about people using the term "Tea Baggers" and then use inflammatory and mocking names for people on the left or the President.

Comparing the term "tea baggers" to a racial slur is self-victimization to the worst degree. If you really need to see why your analogy is totally defunct, then you have extremely poor reasoning skills. I'd happy to explain the difference between one's race and one's political affiliation, or the history involved in the two terms, but it seems like a lot of effort to break down such a simple distinction.

I don't want to hear anything from the original poster or the people that agree with them about the "PC police" or "sensitive minorities" or any of that other nonsense you bring up in order to downplay instances of verbal assault against groups you're NOT part of.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:48 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Your spin is immature as it attempts to take such derogatory statements and place the fault at those to which it is targeted. That is a childish position in and of itself.

I honestly do not care what color the president is, though it seems you have a fixation with it.

/shrug

Are you for real? You realize this is a joke don't you. Nobody would call themselves Tea Baggers or get upset when someone called them tea baggers. Imagine if Sam Adams was called a Tea Bagger. Its a funny name thats all.

As for the presidents color, some tea baggers have a serious problem with it, as per two protests I've seen on tv. Speaking of tea bagging, I have to tea bag my toilet with a number 2.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:50 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
When leaders of the Tea Party went on Fox TV and rallied members to: "Tea Bag the White House!" did those of you who say you object to the term 'tea bagger' think he was asking everyone to commit a sexual act on a building? No, you didn't. You accepted the double meaning of the term WHEN ONE OF YOUR OWN USED IT. You even put it on signs to carry around at rallies. This fake outrage at the word usage now it just that: FAKE OUTRAGE. Word meanings evolve and change with usage and like it or not, the Tea Party is stuck with 'tea bagging' and 'tea baggers' and they have no one to blame but themselves. When used in the context of politics no one can seriously believe it means anything sexual, so grow up and own the terms.

Throwing or mailing literal tea bags is a symbolic protest that is unrelated to the sexual act of "teabagging" in which the "teabag" is actually a *******. While I haven't seen the footage to which you refer, I'm confident they meant literal tea bags.

If you feel that our displeasure is "FAKE OUTRAGE" then simply stop using the term. I believe much opposition to the use of the word n*gger is fake outrage, but I simply take the issue away by not using it. I don't need it to prove myself right, and anyone who does, doesn't have a leg to stand on anyway. The same applies to people who rely on this verbal slight to marginalize their opponents. Obviously they have already concluded their own arguments are weak by their need to avoid the debate and attack the person with childish taunts.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:58 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
LoL, all I am hearing is the wah-bulance. A group of people willing to say any slander, insult, racial epitaph, or call for violence cry about the name many have already embraced. Turn about is always fair play. So quit crying when you get your own actions thrown back into your face.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:38 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Post #45 lays claim to such, but I see no validation to their claim. /shrug

As for others using it, I don't approve of such and I have let it be known in threads where it was key to the topic.
Here is an article about the proposed Potomac River dump. It doesn't use the term teabaggers, however the headline does.

Tea Bagging Obama: Protesters Plan To Dump 1 Million Tea Bags In DC

Another one with Tea Bagging in the headline:

Tea Baggers Can’t Tea Bag Lafayette Square - City Desk - Washington City Paper

Here ya go:

News Hounds: Fox News “Teabagging” Coverage Cited By Rachel Maddow

"Griff Jenkins (sporting colonial hat) reading the movement's admonition to “teabag the White House.” "

Old 03-28-2010, 12:44 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Here is an article about the proposed Potomac River dump. It doesn't use the term teabaggers, however the headline does.

Tea Bagging Obama: Protesters Plan To Dump 1 Million Tea Bags In DC

Another one with Tea Bagging in the headline:

Tea Baggers Can’t Tea Bag Lafayette Square - City Desk - Washington City Paper

Here ya go:

News Hounds: Fox News “Teabagging” Coverage Cited By Rachel Maddow

"Griff Jenkins (sporting colonial hat) reading the movement's admonition to “teabag the White House.” "

The left can continue to use the sexual word of teabagging and ruin every thread because we must clarify if they are referring to a sex act or a tax protest.

Tea bagging <-----notice the seperation of the words, is stupid but not a gay sex act between two men.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
The left can continue to use the sexual word of teabagging and ruin every thread because we must clarify if they are referring to a sex act or a tax protest.

Tea bagging <-----notice the seperation of the words, is stupid but not a gay sex act between two men.
Now just tell me how you can tell from a reading just how Mr. Jenkins spelled the word?

"hussein obama" is as much of a thread-wrecker.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:52 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,309,332 times
I am far from being a Liberal but most of the people you see at these Tea Party rallies are total losers. I was watching the Glenn Beck show the other day and his audience was full of these people, I don't know how to explain but it is a group of Americans who is uneducated, not very aware of what is going on and easily manipulated, I would respect this movement a lot more if it was made up of people who are educated, enlightened and have opinions based on facts. I think going to college was a good investment when I see these people talking on TV, ignorance can be dangerous.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:52 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,466,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Why do those that fear the tea party are so quick to use repulsive sexual content in describing the group.
Nobody meant it in a sexual way, it seems rather that you guys are obsessed with the act (or really, just sex in general, in particular gay sex.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies