Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 12:22 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,781,638 times

Advertisements

This undated article is not from The Onion, though it certainly sounds like it should be.

It describes some Global Warming nutcase, who apparently had the funds to mount an expedition on a continental ice cap... but whose wife didn't even know where he was going. And it describes how this nutcase didn't know that July was the cold season around the South Pole. And he didn't even turn back when he noticed the sun was down 24 hours a day as he was sledding along.

I've been near the North Pole for a 2-1/2 year stretch, and I know that it's as dark as the inside of a black cow when the Pole is turned away from the sun. No way could these sledders even have seen an ice boulder in front of their faces under those conditions - and they kept going???

Hard to believe that anyone could be THAT dumb, even an environmental whacko.

It's also unclear how the aircraft pilot could have seen them, or their rope that spelled out "Help - Cold", when it was pitch black 24 hours a day. Aircraft don't even fly there during the dark season. Perhaps the plane found them months later, when the sun was up? If so, why was no alarm raised between July and the date (whenever that was) they were found?

And if they weren't found until months after they died, the rope (and maybe the people, tents, etc.) would have been covered by blowing snow by then.

Frankly, this whole thing sounds like a made-up joke to me, if a sick one.

-------------------------------------

ecoEnquirer: Global Warming Activist, Journalist, Perish in Antarctica

Global Warming Activist, Journalist, Perish in Antarctica

(Punta Arenas, Chile) Famed global warming activist James Schneider and a journalist friend were both found frozen to death on Saturday, about 90 miles from South Pole Station, by the pilot of a ski plane practicing emergency evacuation procedures.

"I couldn't believe what I was seeing", recounted the pilot, Jimmy Dolittle. "There were two snowmobiles with cargo sleds, a tent, and a bright orange rope that had been laid out on the ice, forming the words, 'HELP-COLD'".

(Full text of the article can be read at the above URL)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 12:25 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times
Quote:
One friend of Prof. Schneider told ecoEnquirer that he had been planning a trip to an ice sheet to film the devastation brought on by global warming.

I just have to ask: How could such a knowledgeable "scientist" not be aware that July at the South Pole is the winter season?

Old 03-29-2010, 12:27 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
If a joke it is sick. If true a tragedy.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:51 PM

470 posts, read 461,918 times
Trust me, there are arrogant and ignorant people out there who call themselves professionals. Look at how many people climb Mt. Hood who claim to be professional and experienced climbers who find themselves ill-prepared and die on the mountain. These young, liberal, enviro-wackos who think they can control and tame nature are dumber than a box of rocks. This is another example of such foolishness and arrogance. I like to look at it this way, it is Natural Selection at work getting rid of the dummies who think they are smart.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:06 PM

680 posts, read 1,383,704 times
Thinning the herd, but this has nothing to do with the global warming debate. If someone went to the middle of the Sahara desert to prove that it's getting cooler there in July, it would lead to the same result: thinning the herd.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:18 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
This undated article is not from The Onion, though it certainly sounds like it should be.

It describes some Global Warming nutcase, who apparently had the funds to mount an expedition on a continental ice cap... but whose wife didn't even know where he was going. And it describes how this nutcase didn't know that July was the cold season around the South Pole. And he didn't even turn back when he noticed the sun was down 24 hours a day as he was sledding along.

I've been near the North Pole for a 2-1/2 year stretch, and I know that it's as dark as the inside of a black cow when the Pole is turned away from the sun. No way could these sledders even have seen an ice boulder in front of their faces under those conditions - and they kept going???

Hard to believe that anyone could be THAT dumb, even an environmental whacko.

It's also unclear how the aircraft pilot could have seen them, or their rope that spelled out "Help - Cold", when it was pitch black 24 hours a day. Aircraft don't even fly there during the dark season. Perhaps the plane found them months later, when the sun was up? If so, why was no alarm raised between July and the date (whenever that was) they were found?

And if they weren't found until months after they died, the rope (and maybe the people, tents, etc.) would have been covered by blowing snow by then.

Frankly, this whole thing sounds like a made-up joke to me, if a sick one.

-------------------------------------

ecoEnquirer: Global Warming Activist, Journalist, Perish in Antarctica

Global Warming Activist, Journalist, Perish in Antarctica

(Punta Arenas, Chile) Famed global warming activist James Schneider and a journalist friend were both found frozen to death on Saturday, about 90 miles from South Pole Station, by the pilot of a ski plane practicing emergency evacuation procedures.

"I couldn't believe what I was seeing", recounted the pilot, Jimmy Dolittle. "There were two snowmobiles with cargo sleds, a tent, and a bright orange rope that had been laid out on the ice, forming the words, 'HELP-COLD'".

(Full text of the article can be read at the above URL)

"The pilot, Jimmy Dolittle"?

Have a nice day.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:22 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,707,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
If a joke it is sick. If true a tragedy.
yip

Old 03-29-2010, 01:26 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,791,565 times
It's a joke. "HELP- COLD?" That's funny (mildly).

"He kept talking about when they 'get down to chili', and I thought they were talking about the order in which they would consume their food supplies", Mrs. Schneider recounted. "I had no idea they were talking about Chile, the country from which you usually fly or sail in order to reach Antarctica".

From their other global warming article:

The United Nations Earth Czar, Al Gore, hailed the Bali-X agreement as a critical step in global efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. "Today, we have continued the long tradition of cooperation that has maintained agreements enabling negotiations which provide a basis for future talks", announced His Excellency. "We have renewed hope that the difficult, but historic, scientific consensus that was reached almost twenty years ago will not have been in vain."
ecoEnquirer: Bali Global Warming Conference: 2027

Old 03-29-2010, 01:31 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,225,431 times
Another story on the same webpage, just to the right. Apparently this is an anti global warming webpage using humor. Suprised the OP didn't catch this, Darwin did strike, twice.

ecoEnquirer: Court Orders Fisherman to Apologize to Eagle

Old 03-29-2010, 01:37 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,707,968 times
Well I googled a bit and found multiple references so it must be real Or a much repeated joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies