Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 01:10 PM

971 posts, read 1,296,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Some very smart people are completely stupid when it come to common sense. Or is this guy something like the firemen that could not pass a test yet they wanted to give them the jobs because they were minorities?
I'm sorry, but someone who excels enough in college to get into law school, completes law school, and then passes the bar exam cannot be so dumb as to actually think 80,000 people could cause the island of Guam to literally tip over. I'll go out on a limb and say 100% of all people who pass the bar exam would realize this couldn't happen.

Rep. Johnson has responded to this criticism by saying that he of course didn't mean it literally, and that he was attempting to speak figuratively about this base relocation causing the island to reach an environmental tipping point (tipping point is a very, very, very common metaphor).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 01:16 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,468,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverkid View Post
I'm sorry, but someone who excels enough in college to get into law school, completes law school, and then passes the bar exam cannot be so dumb as to actually think 80,000 people could cause the island of Guam to literally tip over. I'll go out on a limb and say 100% of all people who pass the bar exam would realize this couldn't happen.

Rep. Johnson has responded to this criticism by saying that he of course didn't mean it literally, and that he was attempting to speak figuratively about this base relocation causing the island to reach an environmental tipping point (tipping point is a very, very, very common metaphor).
Well, that doesn't explain why he prefaced his comment with several poorly delivered questions and clumsy quotes about the length and width of the island - he was focused on the specific geographical attributes like square miles and such.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:19 PM

631 posts, read 1,292,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
VIDEO: Rep. Hank Johnson: Guam becoming so “overly populated that it would tip-over and capsize.”

YouTube - 3-25-2010_Hank_Johnson_Guam_Tip_Over.wmv
+Rep for the title of the thread alone. i too would like to know

Old 04-01-2010, 01:36 PM

558 posts, read 819,805 times
He apparently has hepatitis. One of the symptoms of liver disease is Hepatic Encephalopathy (ammonia comes from the degradation of peptide bonds between amino acids, which comprise proteins; the diseased liver stops converting ammonia to urea; ammonia levels rise affecting the cerebral cortex). This sort of behavior (fantasy merging with reality) is typical of it.

Yes, the video was amusing. But the comments calling the guy stupid are uncalled for. I get tired of reading these types of comments daily from people of all political persuasions.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:37 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,100,077 times
Wake up folks, idiots like this are making decisions for our country. I don't care if they are Democrat, Republican or Independent, people like this should not hold any office in our government.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostInTheShell View Post
He apparently has hepatitis. One of the symptoms of liver disease is Hepatic Encephalopathy (ammonia comes from the degradation of peptide bonds between amino acids, which comprise proteins; the diseased liver stops converting ammonia to urea; ammonia levels rise affecting the cerebral cortex). This sort of behavior (fantasy merging with reality) is typical of it.

Yes, the video was amusing. But the comments calling the guy stupid are uncalled for. I get tired of reading these types of comments daily from people of all political persuasions.

What's wrong with you? If he has some illness that affects his ability to think and reason, he should not be in his position!

Old 04-01-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
What's wrong with you? If he has some illness that affects his ability to think and reason, he should not be in his position!
What's wrong with your reading comprehension? Where did I say he should? The answer to whether or not he should stay in office is cut and dry and wasn't the central idea of my post. I was addressing the rude behavior of people like you.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostInTheShell View Post
What's wrong with your reading comprehension? Where did I say he should? The answer to whether or not he should stay in office is cut and dry and wasn't the central idea of my post. I was addressing the rude behavior of people like you.

I guess I was side-tracked at what I saw as you appearing to make an excuse, by listing his health issues, instead of addressing his bizarre questions and reasoning.

Most reasoning people would be shocked, appalled and on the attack, thinking this is what is in our congress making decisions about things that will affect our lives. It's not unusual for anyone to react as they have, including me. What I am more shocked at is it looks like the left wingers will support just about anything as long as it is a Democrat.

I would hail the man as a hero if he said "My illness is affecting my ability to think, so I will resign" That would be a man worthy of respect.

Old 04-01-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
I would hail the man as a hero if he said "My illness is affecting my ability to think, so I will resign" That would be a man worthy of respect.
If he still has the capacity to see his behavior as increasingly irrational at times, I agree that it would speak highly of him to step down. If (and I say if because we really don't know) his condition is such that he can't appreciate his altered mental state, which indeed may be the case if he has an advanced stage of liver disease, we can only hope that his family and others (perhaps other elected officials) will have enough sense to intercede.

Old 04-01-2010, 05:05 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,780,801 times
Maybe he was stoned, drunk or on medications, I mean, even to me as a non-native speaker he appears extremely slow and even then he has to correct himself a couple of times. I can't imagine he would have gotten that far if he were as stupid as he seems at first glance
It almost hurts listening to him, one feels like pushing him, offering him words, etc., he needs cheerleaders
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies