Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 10:01 AM

1,715 posts, read 4,781,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
If anything, it's the governments fault for not regulating the industry and Wall Street.
Over regulating was the problem Community reinvestment act of 1974 was the start of the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
A person, who bought a home, say 7 or more years ago, thru a mortgage, has in a sense, already completely paid off that mortgage, multiple times over. The initial holder of the mortgage, has sold them to Banks and other Financial companies, who have in turn bundled them and sold them to other Financial companies, who in turn kept selling these bundles, along with "insurance" to "guarantee" their asset value. Every time these companies made a sale, they made profit, and so on and so on. This profit has been collected year after year, invested in other things, gone to salaries, commissions, bonuses, dividends, etc. All those involved, except the home owner, have seen huge returns far exceeding that expected on the initial holder of the mortgage. The mortgage holder, has sold them to Banks and other Financial companies, who have in turn bundled them and sold them to other Financial companies, who in turn kept selling these bundles, along with "insurance" to "guarantee" their asset value. Every time these companies made a sale, they made profit, and so on and so on. This profit has been collected year after year, invested in other things, gone to salaries, commissions, bonuses, dividends, etc. All those involved, except the home owner, have seen huge returns far exceeding that expected on the original house sale. Should we not just forgive the debt of that original home buyer? Just a thought.
First off this is just not true it is manipulating the facts

Yes made a profit but they also took 95% the risk

The truth is most people care how much it will cost them a month and could care less about the interest over 30 years. I myself never had a car payment nor do I have a mortgage on my primary home.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:32 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,747,673 times
Quote:
If anything, it's the governments fault for not regulating the industry and Wall Street.
Why should I be regulated? Why should any government agent dictate to me what kind of house I can buy or what kind of mortgage I can have?

It should be left up strictly to me and the lender. It's the lenders' duty to make sure I'm a good credit risk, how much loan I should have and it's up to me to decide how much loan I want.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:34 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,347,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tworent View Post
Over regulating was the problem Community reinvestment act of 1974 was the start of the problem.
Under-regulation of Wall Street allowed them to invent new products to sell debt.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Why should I be regulated? Why should any government agent dictate to me what kind of house I can buy or what kind of mortgage I can have?

It should be left up strictly to me and the lender. It's the lenders' duty to make sure I'm a good credit risk, how much loan I should have and it's up to me to decide how much loan I want.
The lender was allowed to give bad loans using false information. The whole industry was riddled with fraud. Tighter regulations are a must. The train wreck of a real estate market is all the proof you should need.

It's not up to you how much money you want to borrow. It's up to the bank. Your income, assets, credit score, and the house (or investment) will determine how much you can spend. The banks shouldn't be able to make fraudulent loan, sell them to suckers, and wash their hands of the whole issue. "Loan? What loan? We sold that loan months ago" Yes, they need to be regulated.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:54 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,747,673 times
Quote:
The lender was allowed to give bad loans using false information. The whole industry was riddled with fraud. Tighter regulations are a must. The train wreck of a real estate market is all the proof you should need.

It's not up to you how much money you want to borrow. It's up to the bank. Your income, assets, credit score, and the house (or investment) will determine how much you can spend. The banks shouldn't be able to make fraudulent loan, sell them to suckers, and wash their hands of the whole issue. "Loan? What loan? We sold that loan months ago" Yes, they need to be regulated.
My bank didn't give me a bad loan and I didn't submit anything false. I didn't lie about my income, I didn't lie about anything to get more money than I needed.

I didn't take as big a loan as I could either, I could have had more but I didn't want more, I wanted what I wanted and that's what I got. I am paying my mortgage -- all on my own. No politicians to the rescue.

So yes it was up to me how much I wanted. I could have wanted more and had more. I could have second mortgages in addition, I could refinance for more cash - but I don't choose to do that. Even if I can.

When money was tight, I worked two jobs -- all on my own, no government had to tell me to do that either.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:00 AM

745 posts, read 1,439,175 times
Quote:
should all home mortgage holders be forgiven their debt?
no !!!!!

Old 04-03-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
My bank didn't give me a bad loan and I didn't submit anything false. I didn't lie about my income, I didn't lie about anything to get more money than I needed.

I didn't take as big a loan as I could either, I could have had more but I didn't want more, I wanted what I wanted and that's what I got. I am paying my mortgage -- all on my own. No politicians to the rescue.

So yes it was up to me how much I wanted. I could have wanted more and had more. I could have second mortgages in addition, I could refinance for more cash - but I don't choose to do that. Even if I can.

When money was tight, I worked two jobs -- all on my own, no government had to tell me to do that either.
This has nothing to do with regulations. Or debt forgiveness.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:01 AM

Almost everyone wants to blame big bad business when they need to take responsibility for themselves and business that make bad decision go away and new one come and take their spot in the market.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:02 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,873,563 times
Quote:

Out of deference to Delusianne, I will not take advantage of such a golden opportunity for a zinger. Woops, I guess I just did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies