Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 09:01 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,825,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I keep reading about how gays and lesbians choose to be that way, which got me to thinking, if gays and lesbians choose to be homosexual, heterosexuals like you and I must have chosen as well, except I can't recall making that decision. So, in an effort to live vicariously through others, I'm asking, would you share with me what happened on the Day that you decided to be a heterosexual?
To say that someone chooses to be homosexual, is like saying someone chooses to be an alcoholic, suicidal, etc............. Its just silly.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:07 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,753,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post

Isn't that what this forum is about? You have your opinions and I have mine. I haven't seen too many threads where people changed their minds halfway through. That's just not going to happen. Why should someone let an opinion stand if they don't agree with it? Why shouldn't they counter it with their own opinion?
Sorry - just drunk enough right now to get the giggles. Where did I say anyone should/t counter anything with their own opinion?

Quote:
Who are you to decide what is healthy? Your opinion is different than mine. Welcome to the world of adulthood. It's going to happen from time to time. You don't have to respond to my posts if you don't want to, but if you choose to respond then you have no right to expect me not to respond to you.
I don't know how old you are, but at just shy of 60, I really don't need anyone to welcome me to adulthood, having been an adult for better than 40 years. No problem with differing opinions, but I do have a major problem with someone like you who seems to believe his is the only opinion that should count. (note the word 'seems' in the previous statement. That means that is the way I read your posts. Doesn't necessarily mean that's the way you intend them.)

Old 04-05-2010, 09:10 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
To say that someone chooses to be homosexual, is like saying someone chooses to be an alcoholic, suicidal, etc............. Its just silly.
Why do you reject decades of research that says homosexuality is not a disorder?

Old 04-05-2010, 09:13 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,753,125 times
Quote:
No. For me it's all about marriage. That's all. I like that marriage is still generally recognized as a union between a man and a woman. I want it to stay that way. I will be very disappointed if it does not. I will not be able to do anything about it, and would stand by your side to help you protect your right to express yourself either way; even if you didn't want my help. If someone tried to stop you from getting married in a legal ceremony I would risk my own personal safety to help you get to where you needed to go. I know you didn't ask me to do that, and you don't have to like me, but that's just me. I don't have to agree with you or like what you are doing.

Again, I agree with this. I've agreed with you before. I will both agree and disagree with you again. Sometimes in heated discussions, most times probably not so much.

Edit: By the way AUM, I should have addressed this earlier and wanted to on another thread. I posted a response to something you said a few days ago, and my post was out of line. It was in response to something you posted first that I thought was equally out of line. I took a shot at you (as you said I did earlier in this thread) when you questioned why anyone would want to marry or have relations with a Republican. Something along those lines. It was a cheap shot and I shouldn't have done it. It was in response to something that I felt was a cheap shot in your post. That's not a valid excuse. Again, I shouldn't have done it, and I will try not to let it happen again. We will have continue to disagree where it's warranted, but that was unfair on my part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Do you somehow think that allowing same sex marriage would 'take away' marriage between men and women? Because that's what this argument sounds like. Believe me when I say that marriage between any of my homosexual friends (granted they are all on-line friends) would have made no difference in my marriage whatsoever!
Quote:
I have answered this question four times already. You can scroll up for the answer, because I'm not going to answer it again. I was NOT the person who said that it would.
My reply was to the highlighted portion of your post above. If I've misinterpreted what you said, why don't you clarify, instead of playing the 'victim' here?

Old 04-05-2010, 09:39 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,930,053 times
Quote:
My reply was to the highlighted portion of your post above. If I've misinterpreted what you said, why don't you clarify, instead of playing the 'victim' here?
I am not playing the victim. I said that I want marriage to remain a union between a man and a woman. Many people, including President Obama himself, have said that. If you don't agree with that, then so be it. Nobody owes you an explanation

You know why we have voting booths in this country?

Because the world doesn't wake up one morning and ask what would be good for MsMcQwhatever your name is; it's called freedom. I don't have to like the same things you do. I don't have to support the same things you do. You might want to live in a world where you can put everyone on trial who doesn't agree with you, but that's not the real world.

Grow up already. A stranger disagreed with you on the Internet. You'll get over it.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:42 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,930,053 times
Quote:
Sorry - just drunk enough right now to get the giggles.
Maybe you should come back tomorrow then. Just a suggestion, which of course you don't have to take.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:03 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I keep reading about how gays and lesbians choose to be that way, which got me to thinking, if gays and lesbians choose to be homosexual, heterosexuals like you and I must have chosen as well, except I can't recall making that decision. So, in an effort to live vicariously through others, I'm asking, would you share with me what happened on the Day that you decided to be a heterosexual?
You raise a good point; there is definitely that segment of the population that is choosing to behave in various sexually experimentative ways.

But now consider the flip side building off of your same point: what about those gay people who didn't choose to to be homosexual or lesbian, just like straight people who didn't choose to be heterosexual? There are also many of those kinds of gay people too. You generally don't hear them making a big flamboyant deal of themselves.

While some gay people may be "choosing" to be gay, what does this say about those who just always have been that way?

Old 04-05-2010, 10:30 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
You raise a good point; there is definitely that segment of the population that is choosing to behave in various sexually experimentative ways.
If that it what you think my intention was, you have missed the point completely.

But don't feel bad, others have as well.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:32 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
I think a lot of people are making a mistake in taking the title of this thread literally. I don't believe the author really thinks that anyone chooses his or her sexual orientation. It's meant to be tongue-in-cheek.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:41 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I think a lot of people are making a mistake in taking the title of this thread literally. I don't believe the author really thinks that anyone chooses his or her sexual orientation. It's meant to be tongue-in-cheek.
Just when I think I am going to give up on the idea that humans are intelligent beings, someone comes along to restore my faith. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies