Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 07:04 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I do not see a rush to return to Mexico, Guatamala or India.

Did any of you conservatives ever think that returning to a country with full nationalized health care makes sense for many unable to get insurance in the good old USA?
They're returning there for the opportunities, according to interviews with some of them. The cost of living is lower and their purchasing power is much greater even though they get paid less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
We've been headed in this direction ever since we decided to ignore Eisenhower's warning about undue influence of the Military-Industrial Complex, today's situation stems directly from that 'eyes closed' attitude.
Eisenhower was also duped by Churchill into overthrowing Iran's leader and helping to install the dictatorial Shah, which started that 50 year s***storm.

Reagan: "Shah had done our bidding and carried our load in the Middle East for some time". -- WOW...conservative you say?

Old 04-09-2010, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Easy to understand.... Where would you go from the US that's any better (and don't say Denmark) that you have even half the chance's we have here?
Singapore, Canada, Australia.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:22 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,640,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Singapore, Canada, Australia.

Ahhhh, the land of canes.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:23 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,577,815 times
Not if the idea of care is take a number just like the Shaw's deli dept and the result of the visit is ya gonna die here's ya bandaid

Old 04-09-2010, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Ahhhh, the land of canes.
Small price to pay for true economic freedom. Of course there's always one or two bad things that isn't in America. One could make the argument that Singapore doesn't have a tax bureaucracy armed with shotguns that raid homes for "tax deadbeats" or compel you to buy private products under penalty of law.

Additionally, Singapore laughs out of court pretty much any claim by a minority claiming they were discriminated against for a caning. A highly civilized society.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:30 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
Easy to understand.... Where would you go from the US that's any better (and don't say Denmark) that you have even half the chance's we have here?
That's it, thanks, my54ford.

Quote:
Anna Margret Bjoernsdottir never thought she would be forced to leave her once wealthy homeland, but after 18 months of economic upheaval she has decided to join the biggest emigration wave from Iceland in more than a century.

"I just don't see any future here. There isn't going to be any future in this country for the next 20 years, everything is going backwards," lamented the 46-year-old single mother, who plans to move to Norway in June.
For the last 9 to 10 years I've often wondered, where would I go to see a better lifestyle? All across the globe, I hear the same stories, just different people, tiny variance in words.

Then when a person gets to the thought, greener pastures, they may find some things changed from the U.S. but were they good things that changed from the U.S.?

Then do to the terrorist activities, countries are not letting people move in like they once did...so where is a person going to go?

Someone mention Australia, I don't think they are letting people move in, or so I have heard.

This woman is going to take off to Norway. I'd love to be able to find her after her move and ask her, happier now?

Old 04-09-2010, 01:40 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
Quote:
Great, the only part of your post that it was possible to understand is the part you explain . And why not say Denmark? Because its true? Anywhere in the developed world i.e. Europe is better than the U.S. right now. You don't see it because you are, presumably, a white male and, as bad as things are, for white males they aren't nearly as bad as for many. For people that look like me, America is no longer the land of opportunity, if , in fact, it ever was. The nascent racism of the U.S. is not a factor in Europe. There is the matter of immigration policies, however. The American ruling class doesn't care if Americans stay or flee the coming economic privations brought on by outsourcing and incourcing but foreign refuges might. It might not be as easy to leave America as some think. In order for things to pick up for Americans a lot of us have to leave. A LOT. I don't see it happening.

H

Old 04-09-2010, 01:46 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
This woman is going to take off to Norway. I'd love to be able to find her after her move and ask her, happier now?
If she gets in, yes, she might just be better off. Happier I can't say, but should that be the question? People aren't leaving or thinking about leaving because they have everything they need here and just want to be hogs! They are staring down the abyss of insolvency and want some stability. I think that there are places where, for an 80th percentile human being things are a lot more stable.

H

Old 04-09-2010, 01:48 PM

122 posts, read 330,795 times
the only americans who will be able to leave the country already have the wealth and skills to emigrate to another decent country. america may let in any jack and jill, but other countries seem to be a lot stricter with their immigration policies. everyone else in america? yeah, they will have a snowball's chance in hell to leave.

Last edited by peptea; 04-09-2010 at 01:54 PM.. Reason: wrong word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies