Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 09:33 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,659,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
We definitely could be, but there is such a cultural resistant on the conservative side to green, alternative energies that many put their energy into fighting more regulation rather than building the businesses that create the clean energy.

Seems like a perfect fit for our country regardless of whether ice caps are melting or not, but there is too much addiction to the status quo in this country now regarding energy. We've lost our spirit of innovation and entrepreneurialship.
First Solar initially wanted to start a project here in the US but the red tape and EPA regulations ended up sending them over to China where they have already signed a deal for 10 times what they were going to do in the US.

In this case..more regulation hurt us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 11:27 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,252,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Source
Seems to be working thus far...
A very honest and reliable guy in our town that started his auto-repair shop over 40 years ago is closing because a main part of his business was fixing up old cars and selling them. Banks will no longer give loans on used cars, so that part of his business is gone. He's closing shop, after thriving for 40 years.

Right, credit is flowing again. The recession is over. Whoopee.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:32 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,582,718 times
20 million illegals looking for jobs since last amnesty, roughly 1/2 the 12% unemployment. we too are looking for a better life, go do it in your own country.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:43 PM

271 posts, read 394,628 times
Another thing to look at when ever a ,Corporation, is looking to develop a new manufacturing facility and hire folks to fill their new high tech positions is:" where are they going to be hiring them from?" The U.S.??? Or will they be importing workers from overseas(China & India, to be exact) to fill these slots??? Sometimes job's creation doesn't always equate to, job's creation for the locales.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:06 AM

124 posts, read 369,658 times
Let's face it, the Lefties want us to be forever dependent on government, so of course they're going to reject common sense principles such as the ones espoused in this article. What moron came up with the idea that you have to raise taxes to raise gov't revenue?? During the Reagan administration, revenues increased from $517 billion to more than $1 trillion--a 28 percent increase. Did Reagan raise taxes? Nope. He believed in making government as inconsequential in our lives as possible, and guess what? The private sector responded! The industrial parts supply business that my father started in 1985 doubled its net income over five years.

Folks, there's a reason it's been a jobless recovery--companies are not hiring because they know their costs are going to increase, thanks in part to increased taxes that the Marxist we have in office will be slapping on us. Not to mention the unconstitutional Obamacare bill. Some days I just feel like screaming No. No. No!!! ********* Obama, you're not looking out for the American people--you're just part of the establishment.

We actually have a chance this fall to throw out dozens of incumbents--Repukes and DemoBRATS. It's time for true fiscal conservatives to take over Washington. Maybe then, just maybe, we can put our nation back on track.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:33 AM

1,089 posts, read 657,188 times
I think they left out the part where they send your job to China, India...

Old 04-18-2010, 12:57 AM

124 posts, read 369,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
I think they left out the part where they send your job to China, India...
Nahh, I'm still in college. The economy should be better by the time I finish my J.D. because we'll have a new President and better policies. But in the meantime, you have fun losing your job

Old 04-18-2010, 05:38 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,659,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiery23 View Post
Nahh, I'm still in college. The economy should be better by the time I finish my J.D. because we'll have a new President and better policies. But in the meantime, you have fun losing your job
LOL..jobs have been leaving the US since the 70's with mfg.
Now white collar jobs are gone. A new President will not bring them back.

Just hope you are getting a degree in a skill that cannot be offshored.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:27 AM

1,089 posts, read 657,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiery23 View Post
Such arrogance from a young whipper snapper, I will not stoop to your level and I wish you all the luck finding a good job after college. Sheesh.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:14 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,357,120 times
While the cow example was cute (especially when coming from someone who's government job was to possibly lie cheat and steal, or advise on it) - too many of our "farms" are controlled by people who have no interest in the long term health of the cow or the farm. They invest today, to pull out as soon as they make a buck, and don't care one bit about the farm, farmer or cows. 1880's economic logic doesn't work with Wall Street's mantra.

The lecture get's a D-.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies