Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 04:44 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,025,682 times

Advertisements

Nazi Rally in Los Angeles: Should taxpayers be required to foot the bill for LAPD's tactical alert? I understand all about freedom of speech but where in the Constitution does it allow one group to stage a protest when the protest will require mob control? Discuss.

LAPD enters tactical alert as white supremacist rally prepares to start | L.A. NOW | Los Angeles Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 06:31 PM

46,964 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Nazi Rally in Los Angeles: Should taxpayers be required to foot the bill for LAPD's tactical alert? I understand all about freedom of speech but where in the Constitution does it allow one group to stage a protest when the protest will require mob control? Discuss.

LAPD enters tactical alert as white supremacist rally prepares to start | L.A. NOW | Los Angeles Times
Being an LA taxpayer, it really, really, really grinds my gears. But the alternative is letting the mob decide which point of view will be heard, and that's worse. So I guess there's no helping it. But if a freak earthquake caused a chasm to open and swallow their little march, I'd drive to the site and commemorate the event by passing water over the spot while singing Hava Nagila. (I really do not like Nazis.)

Perhaps the timeles classics have it right:

YouTube - The Blues Brothers - Nazis Scene

Old 04-17-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Being an LA taxpayer, it really, really, really grinds my gears. But the alternative is letting the mob decide which point of view will be heard, and that's worse. So I guess there's no helping it. But if a freak earthquake caused a chasm to open and swallow their little march, I'd drive to the site and commemorate the event by passing water over the spot while singing Hava Nagila. (I really do not like Nazis.)

Perhaps the timeles classics have it right:

YouTube - The Blues Brothers - Nazis Scene
I understand the need for mob control but why don't LAPD just send these nutcases a bill for the services? It isn't fair for taxpayers, such as yourself, to be footing the bill for this event.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:43 PM

295 posts, read 320,585 times
I wonder what is better, Communists or Nazis? Gays or Straights? Atheists or Believers?

Is water and air pollution any different from LIGHT pollution???

Communists and Nazis are dead, humans will and can only survive as long as its a MAN and WOMAN making love, as for religion they cannot convince me!

The world is full of PARASITES and not those that live on a cat or dog but HUMAN PARASITES!!!

Old 04-17-2010, 06:50 PM

46,964 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
I understand the need for mob control but why don't LAPD just send these nutcases a bill for the services? It isn't fair for taxpayers, such as yourself, to be footing the bill for this event.
Life isn't fair. And making the unpopular point of view dependent on whether it can raise funds for its protection doesn't sit too well with me, either. I hate the fact that they march. I take a modicum of pride in the fact that we can stand enough for our principles that we let them.

It's from a movie, but it ought to be real: "America isn’t easy. America is advanced citizenship. You gotta want it bad, ’cause it’s gonna put up a fight. It’s gonna say “You want free speech? Let’s see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who’s standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours."

Let them march, and let them be met with nothing but a cold shoulder, disdain and contempt.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stars&bars View Post
I wonder what is better, Communists or Nazis? Gays or Straights? Atheists or Believers?

Is water and air pollution any different from LIGHT pollution???

Communists and Nazis are dead, humans will and can only survive as long as its a MAN and WOMAN making love, as for religion they cannot convince me!

The world is full of PARASITES and not those that live on a cat or dog but HUMAN PARASITES!!!
What does your rant have to do with the subject of my OP - Which is should tax payers be footing the bill for mob control at these rallies?

Old 04-17-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Life isn't fair. And making the unpopular point of view dependent on whether it can raise funds for its protection doesn't sit too well with me, either. I hate the fact that they march. I take a modicum of pride in the fact that we can stand enough for our principles that we let them.

It's from a movie, but it ought to be real: "America isn’t easy. America is advanced citizenship. You gotta want it bad, ’cause it’s gonna put up a fight. It’s gonna say “You want free speech? Let’s see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who’s standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours."

Let them march, and let them be met with nothing but a cold shoulder, disdain and contempt.
I agree with your point (tried repping ya but I ran out of rep points!). I just know that the City of LA and its citizens cannot afford funding the LAPD mob control effort. My philosophy is that you can say your piece but you are responsible for the aftermath.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:53 PM

7,938 posts, read 9,158,452 times
Turn the cameras off and the supremecists wouldn't even be there. The same could be said about every small fringe group, Blank Panthers, that Baptist group protesting soldiers funerals, etc. The one unfortunate side of this story is that the counter protestors were the ones who turned violent, requiring police intervention. I'm sure that is adding to the police department's bill for this event.

From the link:

"As the rally ended, counter-protesters hurled rocks, branches and other items over the police line and into a parking lot where the white supremacists' had left their cars."

Doan said three or four counter-protesters were arrested for throwing items.

Neo-Nazis, Counter-Demonstrators Face Off in LA - AOL News

Old 04-17-2010, 06:57 PM

295 posts, read 320,585 times
Taxpayers will pay for everything but remember this, those FAT POLITICIANS that say VOTE ME IN on election day are the biggest PARASITES ON EARTH, and we pay for them everyday that we breath the air on EARTH!

If we "THE AMERICAN PEOPLE" stand up and tell those FAT OVERPAYED FLEAS that you should take a pay cut or take a hike, they may take us serious, remember, we are their BOSS!

As for the Neo-Nazis having a march, I support them 100%, they are protected to speak hate and love as they will! I f we deny them, we deny our own CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT to speak and march!
If you do not like NEO-NAZIS, GAYS, ATHEISTS,RADICALS,MUSLIMS, OR JEWS ...go to Havana, Cuba and let us all know how your freedom of speech was protected under the CUBAN STATE CONSTITUTION???

Old 04-17-2010, 06:59 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,673,812 times
Quote:

Freedom speech refers to only the government respecting freedom of speech, not individual citizens. There really is nothing in the Constitution that mandates that the city of Los Angeles protect these protesters. Though even for the same reasons the post above me stated it probably is a good idea and for the general safety of the city. I don't know if they could send the group a bill. I guess if they could they should try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies