Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 01:51 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,947,195 times

Advertisements

IBM is increasing it's on-shore presence and has opened a large facility in Dubuque, Iowa. They're recruiting for 1,300 newly created positions in that location right now. (Not contract work)

My husband works for a large IT company that's in direct competition with IBM. They are aggressively recruiting for plenty of well paying, US based positions as well.

It seems these huge companies are responding to customers who are not pleased with the communication barriers and mishaps that arise when most employees are based in another country. Let's hope the trend continues

My husband's attempting to fill positions in NC right now and the problem is that there aren't enough Americans who have the necessary skills! THAT'S a growing problem. Another conundrum, if he finds someone with the needed skills, the candidates can't relocate without foreclosing on their current home, which they have no way to sell.

So, considering the difficulty involved in getting quality employees as it is, I highly doubt they will be doing away with health care benefits in the near future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 02:18 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,731,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
The OP is trying to make this about the new Health Care Reform plan. It's not. I retired in 2007 and had already been through several "reforms" to our company insurance plan. It was widespread at the time and growing worse with soaring health costs. IBM is doing what thousands of companies have been doing for years - trying to find ways to cope with an out of control health industry. It has nothing to do with Obama and Health Care Reform.
You're right. Health insurance costs have been squeezing business for years. And Obamacare will only make it worse. Ergo: business will look for ways to reduce those costs and, ultimately, it is the employee that will take it in the nether parts. Thank you, Mr. Obama. There, I'm thankning him, as he requested.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:31 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,385,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songgirl View Post
IBM is increasing it's on-shore presence and has opened a large facility in Dubuque, Iowa. They're recruiting for 1,300 newly created positions in that location right now. (Not contract work)

My husband works for a large IT company that's in direct competition with IBM. They are aggressively recruiting for plenty of well paying, US based positions as well.

It seems these huge companies are responding to customers who are not pleased with the communication barriers and mishaps that arise when most employees are based in another country. Let's hope the trend continues

My husband's attempting to fill positions in NC right now and the problem is that there aren't enough Americans who have the necessary skills! THAT'S a growing problem. Another conundrum, if he finds someone with the needed skills, the candidates can't relocate without foreclosing on their current home, which they have no way to sell.

So, considering the difficulty involved in getting quality employees as it is, I highly doubt they will be doing away with health care benefits in the near future.
One of my friends who was a coworker of mine applied for one of those jobs in Iowa. I guess good paying is relative... when he told me the salary and then the responsibilities it came with, I was well, surprised. I really wondered how they could find someone with the necessary skill to fulfill the responsibilities they wanted to fill offering what they were offering. But, hey, it's a job and a lot better than most being offered out there.

And as for skills... companies don't invest in education these days. I went to hardware school for several months... and then software school for another 3-4 months. And then there were other classes over the years along the way. You don't see that today. Companies look for folks with skills but want someone else to pay for it. Too expensive to teach the skill themselves.

I'm often disappointed in the lack of understanding that not only some of my co-workers have concerning our systems.... but the level of knowledge the customers have. They just are spread to thin these days to have the same level of skill I remember our customers having years ago. I often feel bad for them as what is being asked of them must cause a high level of stress. I suppose that's life in the 21st century.

All of this is just my opinion... and I'm glad that I'm getting closer to retirement every day.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:42 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Wow, just look at all the IBM love in this thread.
As a former "zipperhead" (sobriquet for the indoctrination given to new employees) from the Glendale Lab, Endicott, NY, I can attest to the dismal management.

Remember, this is the company that gave away the "family jewels" to Micro$oft, because they were too greedy to make the IBM PC correctly.

I refer to the corporate decision to cripple the "Piece o'Crap" instead of making it a "mainframe on a desk" [Using a specially microcoded M68000 with IBM op codes]. In the process, they had to farm out the software and operating system design, despite having a massive library created by their own in-house software designers.

In 1982, we could have had a personal computer running VM/370, Script, APL, Fortran, PL/1, CADAM, and a whole gamut of multiuser multitasking software... but it would have killed off the mainframe business.

So the "geniuses" on the Board (or upper mismanagement) ordained that the industry be set back ten years, and we've suffered for it ever since.

Yes, IBM is synonymous with Idiots Bent on Mayhem.

Old 04-27-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
As a former "zipperhead" (sobriquet for the indoctrination given to new employees) from the Glendale Lab, Endicott, NY, I can attest to the dismal management.

Remember, this is the company that gave away the "family jewels" to Micro$oft, because they were too greedy to make the IBM PC correctly.

I refer to the corporate decision to cripple the "Piece o'Crap" instead of making it a "mainframe on a desk" [Using a specially microcoded M68000 with IBM op codes]. In the process, they had to farm out the software and operating system design, despite having a massive library created by their own in-house software designers.

In 1982, we could have had a personal computer running VM/370, Script, APL, Fortran, PL/1, CADAM, and a whole gamut of multiuser multitasking software... but it would have killed off the mainframe business.

So the "geniuses" on the Board (or upper mismanagement) ordained that the industry be set back ten years, and we've suffered for it ever since.

Yes, IBM is synonymous with Idiots Bent on Mayhem.
Oh my... does that bring back memories... and not necessarily good ones.
I had a PC that ran VM/370. Forget what it was called but it was pretty cool.

And IBM also stands for:
I've Been Married
Itty Bitty Machines
I Believe in Magic
I've Been Moved

I'm sure there are a ton of others.

Old 04-27-2010, 03:58 PM

1,230 posts, read 1,039,044 times
Quote:
IBM crowd sourcing could see employed workforce shrink by three quarters

Start digging deep into your wallets, people. Many won't have employer-subsidized health insurance anymore, and those plans are costly. The CBO estimates the cost of a basic coverage plan at 12-19% of your annual income for individuals earning $20,600+ and families of four earning $42,000+. Cost charts on page 29:
http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/107xx/doc...0-Premiums.pdf
If true, things like this just go to show that a Public Option for health insurance is very much needed.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:24 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
Oh my... does that bring back memories... and not necessarily good ones.
I had a PC that ran VM/370. Forget what it was called but it was pretty cool.

And IBM also stands for:
I've Been Married
Itty Bitty Machines
I Believe in Magic
I've Been Moved

I'm sure there are a ton of others.
I think that was OS2 with a GUI look.

I worked for IBM at the start of my career and they have also been my client for a number of years. They are not a company I would choose to work for but, then, I would not choose to work for most of my clients.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:26 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DifferentDrum View Post
If true, things like this just go to show that a Public Option for health insurance is very much needed.
Problem is that the spiraling cost of health care is making many companies look at how to manager it best. Usually that involves reducing benefits. Nothing to do with Obama care.

The public option would shift the cost away from companies and on to the taxpayers. Good for companies maybe not so good for individuals.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:34 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
The OP is trying to make this about the new Health Care Reform plan. It's not. I retired in 2007 and had already been through several "reforms" to our company insurance plan. It was widespread at the time and growing worse with soaring health costs. IBM is doing what thousands of companies have been doing for years - trying to find ways to cope with an out of control health industry. It has nothing to do with Obama and Health Care Reform.
The new health care law requires employers such as IBM to provide health insurance plans for their employees, or pay a penalty. Eliminate employees, hire project contractors => no cost and no penalty.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
The new health care law requires employers such as IBM to provide health insurance plans for their employees, or pay a penalty. Eliminate employees, hire project contractors => no cost and no penalty.
I think IBM has been hiring contractors and therefore eliminating benefit costs for years... even without the Health Care Bill figured in as a factor. I've seen many an employee let go ("resourced" out) and than brought back as a contractor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies