Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 11:00 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,466,179 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry, but i just don't buy that garbage. What happens if most of us go a month without eating, what happens, Find this very hard to swallow. I would need to see scientific evidence of this. Don't care about the state of one's mind, You don't eat for 70 years, that mind should become MUSH. Actually i just don't buy it now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 11:02 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,796,709 times
All he needs to have examined, is his head.

BTW, did he also tell us that he was bringing "Hope and Change"?

Old 04-30-2010, 11:04 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,777,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
I guarantee you that it is a fake or a hoax of some kind. The human body cannot violate the laws of thermodynamics. End of story.
You call it thermodynamics, but generally speaking I assume you mean science or reason. For instance, do you believe that some people can look into the future?

Old 04-30-2010, 11:09 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,463,835 times
What a crock.

Oh, but we read it on the internets, so it must be true, right?

Old 04-30-2010, 11:15 AM

1,506 posts, read 4,283,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
You call it thermodynamics, but generally speaking I assume you mean science or reason. For instance, do you believe that some people can look into the future?
Depends on what you mean by "look into the future". People can certainly make predictions (with a highly variable degree of accuracy) about the future and eventually actually view the future as it comes to pass. But if you are talking about psychics or prophets then not really no.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
Depends on what you mean by "look into the future". People can certainly make predictions (with a highly variable degree of accuracy) about the future and eventually actually view the future as it comes to pass. But if you are talking about psychics or prophets then not really no.
Well, my Indian friend of many years has a detailed book written by a Hindu priest when she was born. It contains her life, including accidents, the scar on her belly, etc.

Being a rather down-to-earth person, I have often wondered how that is possible.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Well, my Indian friend of many years has a detailed book written by a Hindu priest when she was born. It contains her life, including accidents, the scar on her belly, etc.

Being a rather down-to-earth person, I have often wondered how that is possible.
Well obviously I can't tell you since I don't have access to the book or the personal histories of the friend, the priest, etc. But something to consider would be the accidents. If your friend knew about them in advance why didn't she avoid them? Does the book say when and how she will die? If so, will she try to avoid that? Also does she engage in highly risky behaviors safe in the knowledge that nothing can happen to her that isn't written in the book? Just some things to think about. You could probably get a good idea of how confident she is in the book by her behavior. You could test her. Ask her to participate in a game of Russian Roulette. If she hesitates, then she is not confident of the Hindu priest's predictive powers.

My guess is that this is just case of believing what they want to believe. They want the book written by the Hindu priest to be correct for religious reasons, so they make sure that it is, even when it isn't.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:08 PM

The first things described in the book, such as the fire accident leaving the scar, happened when she was still a child, i.e. when she could not even read yet. She is in her 30s now and no longer reads in the book as she wants to be surprised by life. She is quite cool about it, I guess growing up in India creates a mindset much more open to such things. She doesn't feel like she has to prove that it is not possible.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
The first things described in the book, such as the fire accident leaving the scar, happened when she was still a child, i.e. when she could not even read yet. She is in her 30s now and no longer reads in the book as she wants to be surprised by life. She is quite cool about it, I guess growing up in India creates a mindset much more open to such things. She doesn't feel like she has to prove that it is not possible.
Well, your original question was " Being a rather down-to-earth person, I have often wondered how that is possible."

You don't have any evidence that it even is possible. You have an account coming from a source that by her own admission doesn't read the book and doesn't care if evidence backs it up or not. A rather down to Earth person would conclude that it is a simply a piece of family folklore.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:39 PM

She does not read the book ANYMORE, because she has come to know it is not bogus. She is a very reliable source. If I had to trust one person in the world, it would be her.

This little exchange of ours proves my point. We only accept what we can already understand and explain. That is why I am wondering how it is possible, not if it is possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies