Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 02:18 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,648,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Many of you need to do some research. Mike beown as head of FEMA SUCCESSFULY handled several hurricanes in Florida.

The liberal press crusified him during Katrina (anything related to Bush was crusified).

FEMA did what they were supposed to do. You are aware the FEMA had the Coast Guard retrieving people immediatley after the floods started. The gov. and mayor were responsible for the unfortunate mis-handling of Katrina. The feds emergency plan states the first, state and loca, reponders are responsible for the first 3 days.

If the gov had signed over the state National Guard to Bush as he begged, and had the mayor followed the emergency plan instead of leaving town, non of the problems at the dome would have happenned.

If Brownny was so bad, how come Miss. and the other states involved were handled OK?

You just won't admit the problem was because of the DIRECT bumbling of 2 democrats.

Your blind hatre for anything Bush has ruined a good man.
Living in Florida during those hurricanes, Jeb Bush successfully handled the hurricanes there. Pays to have your brother be president. And in fairness to Jeb, he knew what had to be done and made sure it got done. I always felt safe knowing he was on the job if a hurricane was heading our way.

Brown as head of FEMA was ultimately responsible for the failures that occurred during Katrina. But there is plenty of blame to go around covering pols from both parties. That Bush was blamed seemed unfair to me. But that goes along with being President. He did all the right things. He just found out too late he appointed the wrong man.

The Coast Guard was already in position because of the evacuations. They were the obvious choice to go in because of their training. At least Brown knew that much.

And not escape blame, the Army Corp of Engineers knew for a long time the levees would never stand up to a hurricane the magnitude of Katrina. I guess they just hoped one would never hit there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 03:02 PM

59,308 posts, read 27,467,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
Living in Florida during those hurricanes, Jeb Bush successfully handled the hurricanes there. Pays to have your brother be president. And in fairness to Jeb, he knew what had to be done and made sure it got done. I always felt safe knowing he was on the job if a hurricane was heading our way.

Brown as head of FEMA was ultimately responsible for the failures that occurred during Katrina. But there is plenty of blame to go around covering pols from both parties. That Bush was blamed seemed unfair to me. But that goes along with being President. He did all the right things. He just found out too late he appointed the wrong man.

The Coast Guard was already in position because of the evacuations. They were the obvious choice to go in because of their training. At least Brown knew that much.

And not escape blame, the Army Corp of Engineers knew for a long time the levees would never stand up to a hurricane the magnitude of Katrina. I guess they just hoped one would never hit there.
You hit the nail on the head. "Jeb knew what to do", as did Barbour of Miss. He followed the "plan" which entails co-ordinating with FEMA. Which means working with Brown. The experience Brown gained working those hurricanes with Jeb made him the most experienced man for the job. Not the bozo the left claims.

The gov and mayor not only did not work with FEMA or the president, they openly defied their pleadings.

Let's be real. During a catastrophe like this, everybody makes mistakes. I just don't think Brown was treated fairly.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:23 PM

22,214 posts, read 19,509,661 times
Quote:
So what was the largest clusterf? The hurricane passed over NO without the destruction expected. Then some levee walls collapsed. The pumps weren't working. Who's responsibility, The city. The mayor had sent the pump workers home early. again the city. Bush had begged the governor to hand the Guard over to the feds. She refused. Bush tried to get her to call for evacuation. She denied. Bush even tried to get the mayor to evacuate. He declined.

People started going to the Super dome which WAS NOT part of the Emergency Evacuation Plan. Why didn't the mayor step in? He had fled his city and wasn't there.

FEMA has 3 days to respond.

NO had an Evacuation Plan and DID NOT FOLLOW it. Remember the picture of the buses underwater ?

So, what could the Bush administration have done?

If the gov. and the mayor acted, the whole Superdome problem would never have happened.

The media did their usual hysteria reporting. "We are going to need thousands of body bags". How about the mass murders and rapes at the Superdome? What was the actual statistics?

Don't tell me the coast of Miss wasn't hit as hard as NO. Look up some pictures. Whole towns were wiped out.

Was Bush as his team perfect. No. But, IMO, they did what was humanly possible under the circumstances.

The federal government is not responsible for peoples stupidity
The federal government failed bigtime. They were the runs with the bulk of the resources and they just failed. Nagin failed, Blanco failed, Bush failed, Brown failed. They all failed, but the feds are the ones with the bulk of the resources, especially considering how poor of an area you were dealing with that got hit in New Orleans.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:30 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,582,155 times
first of all is Anderson Cooper insane having this idiot on his show discussing issues like disasters?

Old 05-06-2010, 03:35 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,694,749 times
Brownie is nothing more than a disaster himself, so it makes some perverse sense that he would be discussing one...........

Old 05-06-2010, 03:40 PM

38,065 posts, read 22,226,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucasLongLostChin View Post
What credientials does this guy have to this discuss this topic. And shouldn't he disappear from public life after his handling of hurricanes?
How does a person "handle a hurricane"?

Old 05-06-2010, 03:42 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,648,915 times
Quote:
You hit the nail on the head. "Jeb knew what to do", as did Barbour of Miss. He followed the "plan" which entails co-ordinating with FEMA. Which means working with Brown. The experience Brown gained working those hurricanes with Jeb made him the most experienced man for the job. Not the bozo the left claims.

The gov and mayor not only did not work with FEMA or the president, they openly defied their pleadings.

Let's be real. During a catastrophe like this, everybody makes mistakes. I just don't think Brown was treated fairly.
The governor and mayor most certainly did blow it. Big time. And I erred when I spoke of Brown's failures during Katrina. It should have been after.

My issue with FEMA is not political. It stems from what lessons I believe should have been learned after Hurricane Andrew. I see improvements but it is still not as good as it should be. Andrew was horrific for those involved and for the surrounding counties. The state was slow to respond as was FEMA. If it wasn't for all of us helping our neighbors in those first few days, the situation would have been worse. People randomly filling their cars with food and water driving to Homestead and dropping it off. Local church and charitible groups organizing food and clothing drives and driving it down there. One of the first trucks from the outside world came from Feed the Children. I will always remember that and I donate to them to this day.
Jeb lived there then too. Which is why he was always on top of everything after that when he was governor. He made sure things went the way they were suppose to regarding FEMA and the state.

Bush 1 did his best to start to improve FEMA and as I said I have seen some improvment. But Clinton and Bush could have done better with the people they chose to run it. Obama needs to be on top of this too. Way too much red tape involved.

So my issue with Brown after seeing him first hand in Florida and then Katrina is that perhaps he was not cut out for the job. I personally would like to see some kick-ass military person in there.

You're right. Everyone makes mistakes. Brown just picked a bad time to make his. And he really shouldn't be out there now being critical of anyone.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:55 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,798,584 times
Quote:
So what was the largest clusterf? The hurricane passed over NO without the destruction expected. Then some levee walls collapsed. The pumps weren't working. Who's responsibility, The city. The mayor had sent the pump workers home early. again the city. Bush had begged the governor to hand the Guard over to the feds. She refused. Bush tried to get her to call for evacuation. She denied. Bush even tried to get the mayor to evacuate. He declined.

People started going to the Super dome which WAS NOT part of the Emergency Evacuation Plan. Why didn't the mayor step in? He had fled his city and wasn't there.

NO had an Evacuation Plan and DID NOT FOLLOW it. Remember the picture of the buses underwater ?

If the gov. and the mayor acted, the whole Superdome problem would never have happened.

The media did their usual hysteria reporting. "We are going to need thousands of body bags". How about the mass murders and rapes at the Superdome? What was the actual statistics?

Don't tell me the coast of Miss wasn't hit as hard as NO. Look up some pictures. Whole towns were wiped out.

Was Bush as his team perfect. No. But, IMO, they did what was humanly possible under the circumstances.

Ahh the part people forget, the rapes I guess they were Browns fault. Some people are animals no matter how bad the circumstances,and I don't want to hear from a bleeding heart condoning the savage behavior perpetrated by some of the savages in the superdome.

Brown wasn't qualified for the job that was the fault of the moron who put him there. The way some people acted during and in the aftermath was their own fault. I really liked the idiots that carried t.v's under the water

Old 05-06-2010, 04:07 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,881,730 times
Quote:

I thoroughly disagree with everything you wrote. Pretty sad when earthquake victims in Haiti and Chile can get water and medicine from our country faster than the poor NO folks, you should be ashamed to support anything Michael Brown says.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:30 PM

59,308 posts, read 27,467,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
Ahh the part people forget, the rapes I guess they were Browns fault. Some people are animals no matter how bad the circumstances,and I don't want to hear from a bleeding heart condoning the savage behavior perpetrated by some of the savages in the superdome.

Brown wasn't qualified for the job that was the fault of the moron who put him there. The way some people acted during and in the aftermath was their own fault. I really liked the idiots that carried t.v's under the water
Please provide date to support you claims about murders and rapes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies