Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 08:08 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times

Advertisements

Although I don't like the idea of this at all, I see what they are trying to achieve, and honestly anything that prevents girls from receiving radical genital mutilations has to be an improvement. This is a long-time coming, and something like this was attempted in Seattle a number of years ago, but was ultimately touted as giving in to outdated, inhumane practices. What are your thoughts?

Quote:
In a controversial change to a longstanding policy concerning the practice of female circumcision in some African and Asian cultures, the American Academy of Pediatrics is suggesting that American doctors be given permission to perform a ceremonial pinprick or “nick” on girls from these cultures if it would keep their families from sending them overseas for the full circumcision.

The academy’s committee on bioethics, in a policy statement last week, said some pediatricians had suggested that current federal law, which “makes criminal any nonmedical procedure performed on the genitals” of a girl in the United States, has had the unintended consequence of driving some families to take their daughters to other countries to undergo mutilation.
“It might be more effective if federal and state laws enabled pediatricians to reach out to families by offering a ritual nick as a possible compromise to avoid greater harm,” the group said.
Group Backs Ritual ‘Nick’ as Female Circumcision Option - NYTimes.com

Ritual Genital Cutting of Female Minors -- Committee on Bioethics 125 (5): 1088 -- AAP Policy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 08:10 PM

220 posts, read 222,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Although I don't like the idea of this at all, I see what they are trying to achieve, and honestly anything that prevents girls from receiving radical genital mutilations has to be an improvement. This is a long-time coming, and something like this was attempted in Seattle a number of years ago, but was ultimately touted as giving in to outdated, inhumane practices. What are your thoughts?

Ritual Genital Cutting of Female Minors -- Committee on Bioethics 125 (5): 1088 -- AAP Policy
Anytime i see the word "ritual" being used, I think of religion.

nuff said.

Last edited by gunner71; 05-09-2010 at 08:21 PM..

Old 05-09-2010, 08:18 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times
Parents have their daughters "circumcised" in order to make them "marriageable" because most men in those countries where circumcision is practiced will not accept a woman in marriage who has not had this barbaric procedure performed. The problem would be getting the man to accept a woman who had only been "nicked" and that is going to take a lot of cultural unconditioning, as most men in such cultures insist on it in the women they marry,.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:35 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:

Any family that "sends" them overseas for that should be arrested and then deported for good.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Parents have their daughters "circumcised" in order to make them "marriageable" because most men in those countries where circumcision is practiced will not accept a woman in marriage who has not had this barbaric procedure performed. The problem would be getting the man to accept a woman who had only been "nicked" and that is going to take a lot of cultural unconditioning, as most men in such cultures insist on it in the women they marry,.
True. From what I remember when this discussion was going on in Seattle, it wasn't so much the girl's parents generation who would need the idea sold to them, but the older generation. The younger generations were a lot more aware of the dilemma of melding traditional practices and fitting in to contemporary US culture.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:58 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Nah. They need to get over the ritual and embrace the reality. I don't want anyone in this country who can't do that.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Nah. They need to get over the ritual and embrace the reality. I don't want anyone in this country who can't do that.
So no more ritual male circumcisions either then? Certainly male circumcisions are more damaging than what is being proposed here? Just being the devils advocate.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:18 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times
Quote:
True. From what I remember when this discussion was going on in Seattle, it wasn't so much the girl's parents generation who would need the idea sold to them, but the older generation. The younger generations were a lot more aware of the dilemma of melding traditional practices and fitting in to contemporary US culture.
I wonder if the girls' parents know what this procedure actually does to a woman. There is more at stake than just assimilating into a culture where female circumcision is not practiced. The mother may, herself, be circumcised yet be willing to forgo circumcision in her daughter only to have the grandparents insisting on it. While it is easy to dismiss this as a cultural thing, such as Jewish circumcision, no harm comes to the circumcised man unless the surgeon really screws up. Not so with the woman but we don't need to go into the nitty-gritty details.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:20 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,035,277 times
[quote=Cunucu Beach;14107299]I wonder if the girls' parents know what this procedure actually does to a woman. There is more at stake than just assimilating into a culture where female circumcision is not practiced. The mother may, herself, be circumcised yet be willing to forgo circumcision in her daughter only to have the grandparents insisting on it. While it is easy to dismiss this as a cultural thing, such as Jewish circumcision, no harm comes to the circumcised man unless the surgeon really screws up. Not so with the woman but we don't need to go into the nitty-gritty details.[/quote]

Maybe we should.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I wonder if the girls' parents know what this procedure actually does to a woman. There is more at stake than just assimilating into a culture where female circumcision is not practiced. The mother may, herself, be circumcised yet be willing to forgo circumcision in her daughter only to have the grandparents insisting on it. While it is easy to dismiss this as a cultural thing, such as Jewish circumcision, no harm comes to the circumcised man unless the surgeon really screws up. Not so with the woman but we don't need to go into the nitty-gritty details.
Bear in mind, this is not about condoning all forms of female circumcision, or ritual genital mutilation as it should rightly be termed. This is about compromising on performing "a ceremonial pinprick or nick" in the clitoral hood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies