Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2010, 07:39 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,788,537 times

Advertisements

I came across this article and noted how differently religion is painted in poli forum, how christians communicate in forum, and what this man is saying.

Naturally, no individual can represent all, and there might be disagreement amongst Christians (or even clergy), but I think this article busts stereotypes clean out of the water. Note this was written in 2001 directed toward religious folks to negotiate secular life mindfully. Atheists/ agnostics are free to read this objectively with an eye on principles and less on references to God. This isn't about proselytizing, it's about understanding 'the other side' of the political fence better.

Christian Asceticism: Breaking Consumerism's Destructive Hold (http://www.cjd.org/paper/consum.html - broken link)

Quote:
Consumerism gives rise to truly fiendish lifestyle. Labor and the use of capital are supposed to yield personal and familial financial stability through ownership. The consumerist system drives its participants through labor and financial speculation (credit or investment) to sustain artificial lifestyles they "have" but do not "own," thus preventing on principle the minimal stability accorded by private property. They cannot rest or be secure in the fruit of their labor because they do not yet own that fruit. Today's consumerist is like yesterday's coal miner who could not answer "St. Peter's call" because he owed his soul to the company store. .....

Those who have given over to a consumeristic lifestyle cannot give proper priority to rest, recreation, joy, or prayer. They simply do not have the time, energy, or security to do so. They live with an inner fear that compels them forward in an endless effort to secure what is not securable: their unrealistic lifestyles. Even if they manage to place God somewhere into the scheme of things they are still trapped because .....

Far from attaining a better life, consumerists experience alienation and fear. Always wanting more, their sense of accomplishment is ephemeral and they are strangers to contentment. Always in danger of losing what they have but do not own, a sense of urgency and futility are .... .

Last edited by Mike from back east; 05-10-2010 at 07:43 PM.. Reason: Too much of the article was quoted, so reduced it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 07:48 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,066,237 times
Seems that many people were happier when they had less.

I once took a day off work (about 30 years ago) to do door-to-door sales in my community in western Fairfax County, Va. I went to about a hundred homes, knocked on the doors, and only found about 10 people at home and noted that the streets were devoid of parked cars (but by about 9PM the place was chock full of cars). The two-income family was a reality even back then, people wanting more out of life in the way of material things so both worked, though surely some HAD to work to make it in that expensive county. I had neighbors on both sides of us that I referred to as "The Heartbeat of America" families as both had 3-4 Chevy products sitting in the garage, driveway and on the street (caddies, suburbans, pickups, etc).

When I was a kid in the 1950's, we lived in row homes and were happy to play step ball in the alley, ride those clunky old roller skates, or collect a few baseball cards. Today, it seems everything is off the scale; I used to just shake my head in disbelief at people collecting beanie babies and such stuff.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:07 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,940,527 times
Merry Christmas everyone!

Celebrate the birth of the Savior by sucker punching a grandmother in Wal-Mart over a talking doll!

Old 05-10-2010, 08:10 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,066,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
Merry Christmas everyone!

Celebrate the birth of the Savior by sucker punching a grandmother in Wal-Mart over a talking doll!
YES! Love that CHRISTmas spirit!
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:49 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,788,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Seems that many people were happier when they had less.

I once took a day off work (about 30 years ago) to do door-to-door sales in my community in western Fairfax County, Va. I went to about a hundred homes, knocked on the doors, and only found about 10 people at home and noted that the streets were devoid of parked cars (but by about 9PM the place was chock full of cars). The two-income family was a reality even back then, people wanting more out of life in the way of material things so both worked, though surely some HAD to work to make it in that expensive county. I had neighbors on both sides of us that I referred to as "The Heartbeat of America" families as both had 3-4 Chevy products sitting in the garage, driveway and on the street (caddies, suburbans, pickups, etc).

When I was a kid in the 1950's, we lived in row homes and were happy to play step ball in the alley, ride those clunky old roller skates, or collect a few baseball cards. Today, it seems everything is off the scale; I used to just shake my head in disbelief at people collecting beanie babies and such stuff.
Isn't the home shopping network 'social circle' downright odd? I have to wonder about those women.

I remember an America that was more grateful for what we had (even if it wasn't perfect) and didn't lose sight of what was most important in life. Violence in schools was socially shunned. I also remember a standard of leadership where they paid closer attention to the bigger picture of their actions. Stewardship was a virtue to admire about a man. Fast forward to present tense... I think we've gotten too myopic and oblivious to our actions.

I hear many men grousing about women in the forum, likely divorced, a statistic of culture. Wouldn't it be interesting to see a poll of wives asked to choose 8hrs of their husbands time (overtime) or the income it produced? I'll bet you they'd want his time more than the extra income. I've got a sneaking suspicion if the poll were men asked to trade, they'd want the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies