Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 03:36 PM

1,966 posts, read 2,703,371 times

Advertisements

How quickly will pro-legalization advocates petition similar measures in other states?

Which states (if any) do you think would be most likely to follow in California's footsteps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 03:37 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
How quickly will pro-legalization advocates petition similar measures in other states?

Which states (if any) do you think would be most likely to follow in California's footsteps?
All of them, I hope.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:40 PM

39,870 posts, read 26,508,031 times
It is already illegal per federal law. According to many of the left leaning contributors, this is only a federal issue and therefore state laws do not apply.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:43 PM

698 posts, read 1,509,732 times
Washington State is going to have the same initiative on the ballot this November. They just need more signatures but I know they will get them in time to be placed on the ballot.

I think the bigger question to be asked is: What is the Federal Government going to do in response if states start legalizing it? Knowing how the Federal Government handles most domestic situations, I'm guessing it ain't going to be pretty.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:45 PM

698 posts, read 1,509,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
It is already illegal per federal law. According to many of the left leaning contributors, this is only a federal issue and therefore state laws do not apply.
True, but the only way there is ever going to be a change in federal law is if individual states start changing theirs.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHolliday! View Post
Washington State is going to have the same initiative on the ballot this November. They just need more signatures but I know they will get them in time to be placed on the ballot.
I didn't know that about Washington. Good for them. I hope they get the signatures they need.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHolliday! View Post
True, but the only way there is ever going to be a change in federal law is if individual states start changing theirs.
Agreed.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:50 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,939,872 times
If enough states do this the Feds will certaily buckle. It doesn't benefit anyone for the DEA to maintain its current stance, and everyone knows that Philip Morris, RJ Reynolds, et al, are waiting to get in on the enormous profits. I suspect Vermont, Massachusetts, and Washington would all be states with the potential to pass similar legislation if it works out for California.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:51 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,943 times
Probably the same states where medicinal marijuana is legal;

Alaska
Colorado
Hawaii
Maine
Michigan
Montana
Nevada
New Jersey
New Mexico
Oregon
Rhode Island
Washington
Vermont

Also, there are several other states with eyes on marijuana for medical purposes;

Alabama
Georgia
Illinois
Massachusetts
Minnesota
New York
South Carolina
Texas

Actually, all of the states I listed above have some law that approves medicinal marijuana use in some shape or form, but they are ineffectual because of federal drug laws..

However, even if it was legalized for recreational use, it is still illegal to distribute at the federal level, and the DEA will probably continue prosecuting drug dealers and distribution networks.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:56 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
However, even if it was legalized for recreational use, it is still illegal to distribute at the federal level, and the DEA will probably continue prosecuting drug dealers and distribution networks.
The Obama admin has been pretty hands off regarding this, plenty of dispensaries in CA have opened up/are conducting business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies