Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2010, 05:49 AM

218 posts, read 239,560 times

Advertisements

Before I get censored here by the gays and fascists, I want to remember Mossadegh; a freedom loving, secularist, democratic Iranian. That is until Americans put a stop to it.

YouTube - Mossadegh - Stephen Kinzer - Iranian Democracy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 06:37 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times
Most people today probably think that Iran was always in the grip of Islamic fundamentalists and before that in the grip of the Shsh but, as the video reveals, that is not accurate. Although I was a teenager at the time, I remember the Iranian power struggle that brought the Shah to power. He was a romanticized figure in the West, especially his marriage to the wife who eventually bore children for him. That was highly covered in the West as was her pregnancy that followed the marriage. The pomp was akin to what the Brits do today when there is a royal marriage.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:56 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
The Pahlavis are still making the Cocktail circuit trying to drum up a US invasion.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:10 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,095,424 times
Great book I'm sure you've all read: All The Shah's Men: An American Coup and the Roots of Middle East Terror by Kinzer.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:45 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Moor View Post
Before I get censored here by the gays and fascists,

Quote:
I want to remember Mossadegh; a freedom loving, secularist, democratic Iranian.
Getting 1 out of 3 is a total fail in my opinion. The Shah was a secularist, you got that one right. But regardless of one's political poison, how anyone can call the head of a hereditary monarch, which traces its origins to a coup d'tat, and that overthrew a democratic government as being either freedom loving or democratic is simply astounding.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:56 AM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Getting 1 out of 3 is a total fail in my opinion. The Shah was a secularist, you got that one right. But regardless of one's political poison, how anyone can call the head of a hereditary monarch, which traces its origins to a coup d'tat, and that overthrew a democratic government as being either freedom loving or democratic is simply astounding.
There has to be an understanding that Iran is not America and the Iranian people aren't the American people.

The Shah was pretty much the best you were going to do without swinging towards a theocracy (or communism which lord knows the US never would have let happen).

Old 05-14-2010, 03:30 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
The Shah was pretty much the best you were going to do...
Assuming the you is the U.S. I fail to see how was is best for the U.S. can even be considered what is best for Iran and as history and current events clearly demonstrate, the Shah was not in the U.S. long term interest or Iranians for that matter.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:37 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

Mossadegh wasn't the Shah.

He was the Prime Minister, who drove the Shah out of Iran, was trying to set up Iran as a democratic parliamentary republic, and got overthrown thanks to Ike and Churchill with the Shah restored.

As for the Pahlavis: they were military dictators in monarchical trappings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies