Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 11:02 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
Don't preach to me especially about an issue you clearly do not have a clue about or any real emotional ties to.
That is your problem. I'm sorry, but I don't rely much on emotions when it comes to debates. Something either makes sense, or it doesn't. Besides, you can't claim that Muslim lives weren't lost, and that somehow being a Muslim isn't American thing and they are expected to have limited rights as citizens.

In fact, I applaud them to have the drive to establish a mosque close to the site (and note, it is TWO BLOCKS away, not right there as you have lied about).

Quote:
Do I find A mosque offensive? No, not a mosque just one there.
Again, that is your problem. You can't use your emotions to dictate others. This is America. And there is no mosque being built on ground zero.

Quote:
The loons of their religion killed 3000 people and in the name of said religion so I do think it is in very bad taste that they would even think about putting it there.
BS. People may use religion to organize idiots. They do it here. Hitler organized Christians in Germany, and extreme right wing Islamic nuts do it where they can. If you think that religion was the reason, I will say you've not been thinking right. These organizations had NO issue with America until Gulf War. In fact, they were allies. To throw religion into the mix makes you no different than those who abuse religion to propagate their political ends.

Quote:
Oh spare me the crap. No one is saying they can not practice their religion, just not there where the nuts of their religion killed 3000 people.
You sound like an authoritarian who wouldn't be happy unless people followed your terms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 11:03 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
hmm this gives me an idea??? i want to build a 30 story atheist agnostic center with a revolving cocktail lounge in saudi arabia, think they will let me do that??

i know i would get many lashes for even suggesting such an idea in saudi arabia, i even might be the headless agnostic to boot
I have always believed that different cultures, religions and nationalities don't make for different people. Commonality in their nature and attitude crosses all those boundaries. As yours does, with Saudis who are just as authoritarians as you wish to be.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:11 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,610,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Build it in Utah, and reopen polygamy for the whole State.

Hatch the act by Senator of same name.
Joseph Smith did call himself "the second Mohammed"....

Old 05-14-2010, 11:30 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,487,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
For those opposed to the construction, what to you propose be done with the Mosque that is already at that site?

Is it in bad taste to have a Mosque there that was there prior to 2001?
More info needed to form an opinion.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:19 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,441,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
That is your problem. I'm sorry, but I don't rely much on emotions when it comes to debates. Something either makes sense, or it doesn't. Besides, you can't claim that Muslim lives weren't lost, and that somehow being a Muslim isn't American thing and they are expected to have limited rights as citizens.
No it is not about emotions it is about what is decent and right. Would it be ok for White Supremacists to build a house worshiping Hitler next to Auschwitz? Sure they can legally do it but is it the decent thing to do. This is a huge problem with people they care about themselves and what they want only and never even bother to look up from the path they are on to see if they are running anyone else over.

Quote:
In fact, I applaud them to have the drive to establish a mosque close to the site (and note, it is TWO BLOCKS away, not right there as you have lied about).
Oh and two blocks is so far in NY. I have to assume that you have never been there or you would know that is it NOT.

Quote:
Again, that is your problem. You can't use your emotions to dictate others. This is America. And there is no mosque being built on ground zero.

BS. People may use religion to organize idiots. They do it here. Hitler organized Christians in Germany, and extreme right wing Islamic nuts do it where they can. If you think that religion was the reason, I will say you've not been thinking right. These organizations had NO issue with America until Gulf War. In fact, they were allies. To throw religion into the mix makes you no different than those who abuse religion to propagate their political ends.

You sound like an authoritarian who wouldn't be happy unless people followed your terms.
Ummmm NO!!! Let's get something straight right now. These groups have hated us since WAY before the gulf war. You are either REALLY young or REALLY clueless. And IT IS ALL about religion. They kill in the name of their God if that is not about religion then I am not sure what is.

It is very, very clear that you have no idea the history of how many times extremists Muslims have attacked us, perhaps before making ridiculous statements like this you should educate yourself as to not look stupid.

Here let me help you:

Quote:
  • In 1979, fifty-two American citizens were taken hostage by Islamic terrorists who took over the U.S. embassy in Tehran, Iran.
  • Between 1982-1991, ten Americans were kidnapped in Lebanon.
  • In 1983, a Hezbollah suicide bomber attacked the U.S. Embassy in Beirut, Lebanon, killing 63 people.
  • Later that year, another suicide bomber attacked the U.S. marine barracks in Beirut, killing 241 U.S. marines and injuring over 100 more.
  • Terrorists also bombed the U.S. Embassy annex in Kuwait in 1983, killing six and injuring over 80 others.
  • In 1984, there was another suicide bombing of the U.S. Embassy compound in Beirut, killing 24 people.
  • Later that year, Hezbollah hijacked Kuwait Airways flight 221, and killed two American officials from the U.S. Agency for International Development when their demands to release the 17 terrorists who had bombed the U.S. Embassy in Kuwait were not met.
  • In 1985, Hezbollah hijacked TWA flight 847, first to Lebanon and then to Algiers, where they held the passengers hostage for 17 days. Again, they demanded the release of the terrorists who had bombed the U.S. Embassy in Kuwait, and shot a U.S. Navy diver when their demands were not met.
  • Later that year, the PLO hijacked the Achille Lauro, an Italian cruise ship, and killed an American tourist when their demands for the release of PLO terrorists were not met.
  • In 1986, TWA flight 840 was bombed just before landing in Athens, Greece, killing four people who were sucked out of the hole caused by the explosion.
  • In 1988, Pan Am flight 103 from London to NY was blown up over Lockerbie, Scotland, killing 259 passengers and 11 people on the ground.
  • In 1993, a Muslim sniper opened fire on the CIA complex in Langley, VA, killing two CIA employees and injuring three others.
  • That same year, a car bomb was planted in the garage under the World Trade Center.
  • In 1995, a car bomb in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia killed five Americans.
  • In 1996, Hezbollah bombed the U.S. military complex in Riyadh, killing 19 Americans and injuring hundreds more.
  • In 1998, Al Qaeda bombed the U.S. Embassies in both Nairobi, Kenya and Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, killing a total of 223 people and injuring over 4,000.
  • In 2000, Al Qaeda bombed the USS Cole harbored in Aden, Yemen, killing 17 U.S. sailors and injuring 39.
  • In 2001, they destroyed the World Trade Center, killing 3,000 civilians, and attacked the U.S. Pentagon.
Let's see the Gulf War started in 1990, hmmmmm seems like they have been attacking us since 1979!!!!

Old 05-15-2010, 09:01 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,863,269 times
Seems those that did the acts needed some rel time in a mosque so they could realize what they were doing was not favored by God.
Seems as good a place as any for a Mosque, perhaps better than many others.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:04 PM

317 posts, read 405,018 times
1st Amendment

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Old 05-15-2010, 10:23 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,487,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbiggleswurth View Post
1st Amendment

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."
Doesn't mean common sense or respect shouldn't be taken into consideration.

You HAVE to wonder WHY so close to ground zero.

With no apologies for it.

Nothing other than a big old F*** You. And if you think otherwise, look up the dude who is the head of the organization and how he feels about "terrorists" vs the "west". He's ok with terrorists b/c the "west" hasn't apologized to Islam for whatever infractions the "west" made against the very super-fagile morons of Islam.

Put Jesus Christ in a bottle of human **** and who's killing who over it? No one.

Draw a cartoon of the "holier of holy" head of the Islamic religion and you've got DEAD cartoonists.

Lets talk about who is bat **** crazy and WHY a MUSLIM entity REALLY shouldn't be looking over ground zero. Out of nothing other than respect. And isn't that what the entire religion is supposed to be about? Respect? Women need to respect men enough to cover 90% of their faces, 100% of their entire bodies b/c they can't trust they won't be raped or the excuse is that their male counterparts aren't strong enough to NOT rape and pillage a woman who dares show her naked elbow. But Ok! As long as they ain't Christian, expecting this BS, it's acceptable.

Grow up, get over it and open your eyes.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:37 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,917,805 times
I'm all for allowing the Muslims to build a mosque in NYC, but they should pick a different spot. How inconsiderate. Imagine if Christians tried building a mega church in Iraq!

Old 05-15-2010, 10:46 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,443,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
I'm all for allowing the Muslims to build a mosque in NYC, but they should pick a different spot. How inconsiderate. Imagine if Christians tried building a mega church in Iraq!
That's why we need to rise above and not equal their prejudice.

You're right, we can't build a Cathedral in Riyadh, so let's take the high road, which gives us political leverage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies