Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 10:12 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbugster View Post
To be fair, though, I admit that three of my favorite US cities are in the Deep South - New Orleans, Savannah, and St. Augustine.
Even with my non-white Asian husband, we were treated with warmth, graciousness and kindness in those three places. Well, there was that little incident in New Orleans, with my mother, sister and I when we got lost and ended up driving through a ghetto area and right through what looked like gang-banging among several pre-teens. I still love NO.

I no longer have the husband, but I return to those three cities as often as I can afford, which isn't much over the last 5 years. I'm under their spell, but I'm not sure I'd want to live in any of them, maybe for a few years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbugster View Post
I thought it was Mississippi. You couldn't pay me to live in that place. I think any black person that lives there, if they die of natural causes, should automatically have statues commemorating them, and the others automatically canonized, of course, and this is a white girl talkin'.

I also once drove through MS and my ex-husband, Chinese, and I stopped at the MS welcome station, a very lovely old plantation mansion at a rest area off an interstate highway. The info. service reps, all white and female, were stiffly polite, but looked at me as if I had married a Roswell alien and at my husband as though he might jump on one of the ugly bit--es at any moment . We both felt very uncomfortable there, and left quite promptly, making good time getting out of that state as rapidly as possible. We had another good ole boy state trooper encounter in Alabama when driving from FL back to OK, we were dragged down to the highway patrol station for going too fast and ended up spending several hours there, another trip, before they would let us pay the damn speeding ticket and get the hell out of that state. Both of these incidents happened in the mid-late 1980's.

OK, Alabama and Mississippi tie as being the most backward.
Maybe you should talk to Morgan Freeman He's black, he's famous, he lives in MS. So let's get this straight - the three Deep South Cities you love are
tourist attraction cities for Yankees You would be surprised what they say about you behind your back

I like Bill Mahr but stop with the South bashing.

Nothing wrong with AL or MS - wonderful states, wonderful
people Check out Mobile - you'll find them very friendly as well - the home of the THE ORIGINAL MARDI GRAS

City of Mobile : Visiting Mobile : Mardi Gras

They just don't **** in the streets there - I guess you
can't have everything

Oh, and my **** word begins with a P not an F

Last edited by pollyrobin; 01-24-2011 at 10:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 10:23 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Precisely. I'd like to know what a liberal considers a "forward" state?

It's easy. Only the most atheist, drug invested, baby killing gay states with huge amounts of poor non-whites can be considered forward

Old 01-24-2011, 10:24 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Ah yes, same Bill Maher who said the 9/11 terrorist were brave and our troops weren't. Perhaps he should take the time to visit the state and the people instead of insulting them from afar. Then again, this state is part of what elitest liberals call the "fly over country" so why should he bother.
He didn't say the troops weren't. That's a lie.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:26 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
No, Mississippi by far. Which is saying a lot in a country that contains such winners as Oklahoma and New Mexico.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:27 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,023,344 times
Oh, another South bashing thread? That's original. See the usual megalomaniacs are out in full force doing their level best to prove their own sense of superiority, no matter how untrue that may be.

Every place has its good parts and bad parts. Live in the state that best ascribes to your own sensibilities. See how easy that is?

Old 01-24-2011, 11:00 PM

2 posts, read 2,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
It's easy. Only the most atheist, drug invested, baby killing gay states with huge amounts of poor non-whites can be considered forward
Alabama has more poor whites than poor non whites.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:28 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,159,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Bill Maher is a self-hating jew, a bigot, anti-southerner, anti-Christian, anti-American, all all around POS. I found nothing wrong with the original ad he showed. Darwinism has been largely discredited by fossil records adn it is not the best explanation for life. You don't have to believe in creationism but Darwinism is dead among all but the most zealous Darwiniacs.
Maher could have made a much better joke out of the Agricultural Commisioner of Alabama campaign:

political ad

Typical creationist "Answers In Genesis" drone speak.

Sorry but there's no such thing as "Darwinism". Evolution however IS a fact backed by mountains of evidence, including the fossil record (I imagine you believe the fossil record proves Noah's flood. LOL).

Try to get educated beyond your parents' creationist homeschooling curriculum...

Old 01-24-2011, 11:29 PM

182 posts, read 129,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post

Old 01-24-2011, 11:30 PM

182 posts, read 129,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Liberal states like NY and CA are some of the most "backward" places. In California, kids are sent home for wearing American flags, in NY, taxes are so high that people are forced to move out, Liberalism makes a lot of sense, NOT!
A+++++++++++

Old 01-25-2011, 08:29 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,732,913 times
"Backwards" is a subjective judgment. Some people may actually like Alabama the way it is. You see, that's the genius of federalism. There are 50 states from which to choose. If Alabama or New York, for that matter, do not appeal to you then don't go there or move away if you're from there.

But labeling a state backward is an attempt by the elites to define the norm and to compel others to live up to that definition. In other words it's all about limiting choices by homogenizing the country. Once again the Left demonstrates its totalitarian inclination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies