Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2010, 11:48 AM

768 posts, read 1,088,285 times

Advertisements

Hopefully we will find out soon how that would go.

I'm curious, are there any former voters who have shown they no longer wish a compulsory constituent by not just refusing to vote, but by actually having their names expunged from the voting roll? I'd love to hear your stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 12:19 PM

898 posts, read 1,402,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Consent Withdrawn View Post
Hopefully we will find out soon how that would go.

I'm curious, are there any former voters who have shown they no longer wish a compulsory constituent by not just refusing to vote, but by actually having their names expunged from the voting roll? I'd love to hear your stories.
I'd assume if absolutely nobody voted, that whatever provisions there were for a tie would be in effect. After all, a 0-0 tie is what you would have.

If you're talking the presidential elections, the states can appoint their electors "in a manner proscribed by law." If people don't vote, they could likely just appoint people to the EC willy-nilly, since they can do the proscribing.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:53 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,788,485 times
An election without voters. There will never be such a thing. It is my American duty to vote, and I happily do so every election.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:55 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
What if no one would pay taxes?
Then who cares if anyone voted!

Old 05-19-2010, 07:08 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
An election without voters. There will never be such a thing. It is my American duty to vote, and I happily do so every election.
Pennsylvania came close to no voters yesterday as they only got about 20% of them to the polls. Weather could have been part of it but it looked to me like they just didn't give a damn.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:33 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,788,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Pennsylvania came close to no voters yesterday as they only got about 20% of them to the polls. Weather could have been part of it but it looked to me like they just didn't give a damn.
If everyone stayed home for an election, I'd be more than happy to be the one to determine the makeup of my community's leadership.

More worrisome is an election with no candidates. This happens often and shows, to me, a lack of concern for the community and its welfare by every member of that community.

An election with no voters just tells me that the members of a community are throwing a hissy fit.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:47 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
If everyone stayed home for an election, I'd be more than happy to be the one to determine the makeup of my community's leadership.

More worrisome is an election with no candidates. This happens often and shows, to me, a lack of concern for the community and its welfare by every member of that community.

An election with no voters just tells me that the members of a community are throwing a hissy fit.
I won one of those no candidate elections many years ago because three dolts thought it would be fun to elect me with write-in votes. The score was 3 - 0 and I refused to take the job because it would cost me $300 dollars and I didn't have the money.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:22 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,035,277 times
I've decided to look into the 'write-in' vote. If it can really be done, I'm going to start writing my own name - for everything.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:25 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
I don't know if I plan on voting in non-local elections this year. I'm just so sick of the political status quo. Both parties are corrupt, both sides are in the pockets of big business. I just don't see a point to it anymore.

Old 05-22-2010, 01:08 PM

768 posts, read 1,088,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
I don't know if I plan on voting in non-local elections this year. I'm just so sick of the political status quo. Both parties are corrupt, both sides are in the pockets of big business. I just don't see a point to it anymore.
Don't stop there. Refuse to vote in all elections. If you vote, you consent to be governed. If you refuse to vote, you withdraw your consent. Have your name removed from the voting roll. That one act will speak louder than any vote you ever cast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies