Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2010, 07:24 AM

6,125 posts, read 7,480,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
It was done behind closed doors, the WH will just deny it util we forget. Sestak is a smart politician to bring it up now so it will be old hack by election time in Nov.
I don't think it's going away anytime soon. I suspect the Republicans will turn up the heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 08:17 AM

6,125 posts, read 7,480,772 times
David Axelrod tells CNN’s John King that if a bribe attempt happened that it would have been “a serious breach of the law.”

Old 05-25-2010, 08:23 AM

214 posts, read 120,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
The simplest answer to the question is NO.

There is no law under U.S. Code for offering a candidate a deal to run or not to run for any particular office. If it were, both the leadership of the Republican and Democratic Parties both Federal, state and local would be jailed en mass.
What? Did you just say that it is NOT illegal to bribe someone out of a race? Really? Wow, you know nothing about the federal laws that pertain to this then. It IS a felony to tamper with an election and affect the outcome. I can't believe you actually said this. Well, actually I'm not surprised at all that something like this is coming from a bought and paid for Obot.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:39 AM

214 posts, read 120,486 times
Here's a bit of information for the know-nothings to chew on.

Title 18, U.S.C. Section 595, which says, “Whoever, being a person employed in any administrative position by the United States … uses his official authority for the purposes of interfering with, or affecting the nomination of, or the election of any candidate for office of President, Vice President, Presidential elector, Member of the Senate, Member of the House of Representative…shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both.”
Title 18 U.S.C. Section 600, which says, “Whoever directly or indirectly promises any employment position, compensation, contract, appointment, or other benefit provided for or made possible in whole or in part by any Act of Congress, or any special consideration in obtaining any such benefit, to any person as consideration, in favor, or reward for any political activity or for the support of or opposition to any candidate or any political party in connection with any general or special election to any political office … shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both.”

Old 05-25-2010, 08:52 AM

1,747 posts, read 1,954,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Sestak Surprises Me With A Bombshell Answer at The Larry Kane Report

"
During the taping of my Comcast Network Voice of Reason show, which airs Sunday night at 9:30, I asked Congressman Joe Sestak: “Is it true that you were offered a high ranking job in the administration in a bid to get you to drop out of the primary against Arlen Specter?”
Sestak looked a little surprised by the question. He said, “Yes.”
I asked him if the job was Navy Secretary. He said, “I can’t comment on that.” In the next few seconds, he admitted that it was a “high up’ job, that it came from the White House, and that he didn’t accept the offering. He proceeded to say that nothing will stop him from completing the race against Specter for the Democratic nomination."

And if you its not a big deal, then isnt it funny how mum the White House is on this. If its not a big deal, surely theyd give out the details rather than hurt their credibility. But they arent doing that. They are side stepping and dodging.
Sidestepping what would qualify as a felony, thus......a valid reason to proceed with the impeachment of BO?

High crimes and misdemeanors are occuring now IMO, but getting the MSM or practically, anyone else to admit it or do anything about it......impossible.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:06 AM

38,006 posts, read 22,193,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
The simplest answer to the question is NO.

There is no law under U.S. Code for offering a candidate a deal to run or not to run for any particular office. If it were, both the leadership of the Republican and Democratic Parties both Federal, state and local would be jailed en mass.
"Whoever solicits or receives anything of value, in consideration of the promise of support or use of influence in obtaining for any person any appointive office or place under the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both." -- 18 USC Sec. 211 -- Bribery, Graft and Conflicts of Interest: Acceptance or solicitation to obtain appointive public office

Old 05-25-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
That's not a bribe. That's slate making. That's a political party trying to make decisions around political strategy.

There's nothing wrong with it.
Ya, sure, ya bet'cha. "THAT'S CHANGE, WE CAN BELIEVE IN"

Old 05-25-2010, 09:17 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,238,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuditTheFed View Post
Here's a bit of information for the know-nothings to chew on.

Title 18, U.S.C. Section 595, which says, “Whoever, being a person employed in any administrative position by the United States … uses his official authority for the purposes of interfering with, or affecting the nomination of, or the election of any candidate for office of President, Vice President, Presidential elector, Member of the Senate, Member of the House of Representative…shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both.”
Title 18 U.S.C. Section 600, which says, “Whoever directly or indirectly promises any employment position, compensation, contract, appointment, or other benefit provided for or made possible in whole or in part by any Act of Congress, or any special consideration in obtaining any such benefit, to any person as consideration, in favor, or reward for any political activity or for the support of or opposition to any candidate or any political party in connection with any general or special election to any political office … shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both.”
Well if they ever enforced these laws about 90% of all elected officials from local to Fed would be jailed over night.
Not a bad start to cleaning up our Governments.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Read it. Nothing in it applies to the situation being discussed.

Sestak did not offer anybody a bribe to get a job.
Then why is the White House avoiding the issue. if no law was broken? If no law was broken Holder would have said as much, but he dance, ducked, dodged and weaved so as not to answer the question.

Holder Deflects Questions from Issa on Sestak Job Claim - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Old 05-25-2010, 09:28 AM

5,036 posts, read 5,142,848 times
I still find it beyond sad and pathetic that people will willingly turn a blind eye, make up excuses and bs, when someone on "their side" did or possibly did something wrong. Mr. Historian guy admitted earlier in the thread that he will willingly vote for someone he believes to be a liar, aka basically having no honor, just because he has a fat D next to his name. Ill say it again, its because of people like you why we have the crooks we do in office. You dont give a damn unless that "crook" is on the other side.

On Sestak, hey I never said he couldnt be lying. Maybe he is, but to tell the same lie on national TV over and over and over again, would be quite stupid. However, I think if the White House truly thought he was lying, theyd investigate it and prove it and see that he faces the consequences. But they arent doing so. Theyve kept mum except to say their lawyers dont think anything inappropriate happened.

Sorry Obama, Rham, and Axelrod but forgive me if I dont feel like taking your words for it. I think the last people Ill trust is the likes of you and youve given me no reason to believe much of what you say. I think there needs to be an independent investigation immediately. Come on "the most transparent Administration EVER!" I think you're over a year late on that transparency promise. What better time than now to finally start???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies