Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 07:34 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times

Advertisements

Well, this is a big shocker, the Inspector General has found that federal Regulators allowed oil companies fill out their own inspection reports from 2005-2007. (Personally, I don't think they're going back far enough) These guys, along with their bosses, should be held criminally liable for the spill in the Gulf.

Kudos to the drill-baby-drill mentality that put big oil profits ahead of good sense.

Inspector General Faults Minerals Management Service - NYTimes.com

Inspector General’s Inquiry Faults Regulators

WASHINGTON — Federal regulators responsible for oversight of drilling in the Gulf of Mexico allowed industry officials several years ago to fill in their own inspection reports in pencil — and then turned them over to the regulators, who traced over them in pen before submitting the reports to the agency, according to an inspector general’s report to be released this week.

The report, which describes inappropriate behavior by the staff at the Minerals Management Service from 2005 to 2007, also found that inspectors had accepted meals, tickets to sporting events and gifts from at least one oil company while they were overseeing the industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 07:40 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Well, this is a big shocker, the Inspector General has found that federal Regulators allowed oil companies fill out their own inspection reports from 2005-2007. (Personally, I don't think they're going back far enough) These guys, along with their bosses, should be held criminally liable for the spill in the Gulf.

Kudos to the drill-baby-drill mentality that put big oil profits ahead of good sense.

Inspector General Faults Minerals Management Service - NYTimes.com

Inspector General’s Inquiry Faults Regulators

WASHINGTON — Federal regulators responsible for oversight of drilling in the Gulf of Mexico allowed industry officials several years ago to fill in their own inspection reports in pencil — and then turned them over to the regulators, who traced over them in pen before submitting the reports to the agency, according to an inspector general’s report to be released this week.

The report, which describes inappropriate behavior by the staff at the Minerals Management Service from 2005 to 2007, also found that inspectors had accepted meals, tickets to sporting events and gifts from at least one oil company while they were overseeing the industry.

And Obama has been president for how long? And the dems have been in control of the senate and congress for 4 years? Why didn't they change it? I guess we have a president who can't do anything, but blame Bush. When one is incompetent, one CANNOT act, but is limited to explaining his incompetence.

Why the hell was the army corps of engineers not put into action immediately after this spill? Why were contingency plans not coordinated with the state for protection of the marhses and shorelines? Why has no economic support or plans made for the loss of jobs as a result.

The answer-

Incompetence. If this was Bush, the libs would go crazy. However, ineptitude is the trademark of the Obama administration, so everyone expects it.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
And Obama has been president for how long? And the dems have been in control of the senate and congress for 4 years? Why didn't they change it? I guess we have a president who can't do anything, but blame Bush. When one is incompetent, one CANNOT act, but is limited to explaining his incompetence.

Why the hell was the army corps of engineers not put into action immediately after this spill? Why were contingency plans not coordinated with the state for protection of the marhses and shorelines? Why has no economic support or plans made for the loss of jobs as a result.

The answer-

Incompetence. If this was Bush, the libs would go crazy. However, ineptitude is the trademark of the Obama administration, so everyone expects it.
This happened between 2005-2007, read the article, sparky. The regulators took gifts and perks from the industry they were supposed to regulate. Silly me if I take offense to that.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:59 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,853,752 times
I for one am getting really tired of all the blame for everything being heaped on "big oil." I will grant you that there is plenty of fault to go around and BP likely took some shortcuts regarding safety precautions but please don't think for a moment that it is all about the greediness of the oil companies. This country has a ravenous appetite for cheap gasoline. We all remember the cries of outrage back in '08 when gas prices went through the roof. How many Americans are willing to pay 5, 6, or 7 dollars a gallon or more while telling the oil companies to take their time drilling and make sure that every safety precaution is strictly adhered to? People not in the industry have no idea the cost to explore for, find, drill, refine and deliver a gallon of gasoline to their favorite gas station. And if most of you are honest, you want your gasoline now, not when the oil company can only deliver it under the most stringent of production and delivery conditions. You can't have it both ways. Having worked in the industry for many years, I know that as a whole the oil companies really do try to do things in a safe though cost-effective way but sometimes bad things happen. In a perfect world these bad things wouldn't happen but sadly, we don't live in perfect.

And as for oil companies being "greedy," how many of you work in jobs where you don't try to make as much money as you can? The capital outlay required to bring that gallon of gasoline to your tank is massive, so please tell me why it is wrong to want to recoup your expenses, give the shareholders a fair return on their investment and make enough to go out and do it all over again tomorrow?

Old 05-25-2010, 08:01 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Our watchdog federal government for all it's rules and regulations failed ...again.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Our watchdog federal government for all it's rules and regulations failed ...again.

Not just fail, epic fail.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
I for one am getting really tired of all the blame for everything being heaped on "big oil." I will grant you that there is plenty of fault to go around and BP likely took some shortcuts regarding safety precautions but please don't think for a moment that it is all about the greediness of the oil companies. This country has a ravenous appetite for cheap gasoline. We all remember the cries of outrage back in '08 when gas prices went through the roof. How many Americans are willing to pay 5, 6, or 7 dollars a gallon or more while telling the oil companies to take their time drilling and make sure that every safety precaution is strictly adhered to? People not in the industry have no idea the cost to explore for, find, drill, refine and deliver a gallon of gasoline to their favorite gas station. And if most of you are honest, you want your gasoline now, not when the oil company can only deliver it under the most stringent of production and delivery conditions. You can't have it both ways. Having worked in the industry for many years, I know that as a whole the oil companies really do try to do things in a safe though cost-effective way but sometimes bad things happen. In a perfect world these bad things wouldn't happen but sadly, we don't live in perfect.

And as for oil companies being "greedy," how many of you work in jobs where you don't try to make as much money as you can? The capital outlay required to bring that gallon of gasoline to your tank is massive, so please tell me why it is wrong to want to recoup your expenses, give the shareholders a fair return on their investment and make enough to go out and do it all over again tomorrow?

Problem is, the shutoff valve would have cost a huge 500K. 500K... how many billions is BP going to have to spend to clean up it's mess?

I'm no economics wiz, but 500K v billions seems to be a no-brainer.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:49 AM

329 posts, read 201,879 times
Federa regulation just means buddies of government toadies get jobs making six figures to do nothing and become toadies too. Look at this bank "regulation" bill just passed. Worthless but it adds more fools to the mix.

As for the oil spill the only ones who have a clue are the locals. They know they need oil just as and more as they need fishing and they just want to clean the dam thing up and move on instead of arguing about who's fault it is. Get the media and the DC beurocrats outta the way, fund em and let em go to work. Start tossing hay all over.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:49 AM

214 posts, read 120,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Problem is, the shutoff valve would have cost a huge 500K. 500K... how many billions is BP going to have to spend to clean up it's mess?

I'm no economics wiz, but 500K v billions seems to be a no-brainer.
Yeah well, how much do firebooms cost? I'm sure they don't cost billions either. There was a complete breakdown on this all over the place even the feds. all for trying to save money.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:37 AM

329 posts, read 201,879 times
Hurricanes are free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies