Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 04:31 PM

41 posts, read 21,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That comparison isn't even remotely close, the quantities are massive and there really isn't anyway to address it accept storing it or not burn anything. Both options are extremely expensive.

That's besides the fact CO2 is not a pollutant, it's a greenhpuse gas. It's not going to give you a third eye.
Sadly, you aren't joking...

Do you know the medical definition of a poison?

Hint: anything in excess is a poison. Just because it's a greenhouse gas that occurs naturally means NOTHING, to those capable or critical, non knee-jerk thinking.

Mercury and lead are natural too. Want a big cup of half-and-half? It won't hurt you, it's natural.

But hey! It's a large scale problem, so lets not do anything about it!

Agricultural and industrial run-off is a large scale problem too. Let's just sit on our hands and accept it while we poison our geology, wildlife, and ourselves. It's too difficult!

Industry still dumps other kinds of pollution, even though we set up agencies and legislation to deal with it, but we should probably just give up. It's too hard. Harder than putting men on the moon with a guidance system that had 2k of RAM!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 04:41 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
CO2 starts to become toxic at concentrations of 4%, I believe death is almost immediate at concentrations of 8%. At the current rate that CO2 is rising we would need to burn fossil fuels for something like 48,000 years to approach concentrations of 4%. Of course that will never happen because even the coal supply will run out in about a century or two.

Anything else you need to know?

Old 05-25-2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
CO2 starts to become toxic at concentrations of 4%, I believe death is almost immediate at concentrations of 8%. At the current rate that CO2 is rising we would need to burn fossil fuels for something like 48,000 years to approach concentrations of 4%. Of course that will never happen because even the coal supply will run out in about a century or two.

Yeah, your source. Because this sounds like propaganda to me. Nah, couldn't be! Not coming from someone named thecoalman! Do those numbers account for population growth and the exponential amount of emissions ramping up in India and China?

Even if your data is correct, it isn't a reason to sit on our hands. How long has the human race existed? Some 4-5 million years? 48,000 years isn't much comparatively. But who cares about our progeny 40k years from now? Let them deal with it! Not our problem! Too difficult!

By your logic, you can have just have a micro-sip of that mercury/lead mixture. It's not threshold level, so who cares? Right?

Lead tainted toys? Who cares, probably not enough to really kill anyone, DEREGULATE NOW!

Old 05-25-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deni Grey View Post
Yeah, your source. Because this sounds like propaganda to me. Nah, couldn't be! Not coming from someone named thecoalman!
One thing you will not see coming from me on this subject is propaganda in anyway shape or form. The math is quite simple, go do it yourself. Here's a starting point:

Carbon Dioxide as a Fire Suppressant: Examining the Risks | Alternatives / SNAP | US EPA

I was wrong above with my 8% number but it's been a while since I looked at this article:

Quote:
At concentrations greater than 17 percent, such as those encountered during carbon dioxide fire suppressant use, loss of controlled and purposeful activity, unconsciousness, convulsions, coma, and death occur within 1 minute of initial inhalation of carbon dioxide (OSHA 1989, CCOHS 1990, Dalgaard et al. 1972, CATAMA 1953, Lambertsen 1971). At exposures between 10 and 15 percent, carbon dioxide has been shown to cause unconsciousness, drowsiness, severe muscle twitching, and dizziness within several minutes (Wong 1992, CATAMA 1953, Sechzer et al. 1960). Within a few minutes to an hour after exposure to concentrations between 7 and 10 percent, unconsciousness, dizziness, headache, visual and hearing dysfunction, mental depression, shortness of breath, and sweating have been observed (Schulte 1964, CATAMA 1953, Dripps and Comroe 1947, Wong 1992, Sechzer et al. 1960, OSHA 1989). Exposures to 4 to 7 percent carbon dioxide can result in headache; hearing and visual disturbances; increased blood pressure; dyspnea, or difficulty breathing; mental depression; and tremors (Schulte 1964; Consolazio et al. 1947; White et al. 1952; Wong 1992; Kety and Schmidt 1948; Gellhorn 1936; Gellhorn and Spiesman 1934, 1935; Schulte 1964). Part I of Appendix B discusses human health effects of high-concentration exposure to carbon dioxide in greater detail.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:01 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,146,109 times
The Next will definitely be the post office. Some think that it is currently part of it now, but it's not. The mistakes being made by upper management have taken it's toll and it is hurting.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:07 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Did someone propose nationalizing it?!

That's pretty sneaky of Rasmussen, if no one proposed it.
Chris Matthews is the only person I know of who proposed nationalizing it.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
One thing you will not see coming from me on this subject is propaganda in anyway shape or form. The math is quite simple, go do it yourself. Here's a starting point:

Carbon Dioxide as a Fire Suppressant: Examining the Risks | Alternatives / SNAP | US EPA

I was wrong above with my 8% number but it's been a while since I looked at this article:
Oh no, I'd never expect propaganda from someone who uses hysterical exaggerations of others' viewpoints (like the "third eye" thing)!

Get real guy, your bias is very obvious. You're just hiding behind propaganda excuses, like "it's too hard", and, "it's very expensive". Typical diversions from people who are obsessed with fossil fuels.

Anyway, as I said, no problem, right? If it can't kill us within the next 48k years, who cares? Just keep on keeping on!

Have your last word; I won't be entertaining any more of your politically driven nonsense.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:13 PM

LOL, don't let real numbers get in your way. Note the source is the EPA, I quote them quite often, they are wealth of material if you dig for it.

Have a nice day.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:49 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,533,221 times
It's a toss up on which one. I have a friend who has worked for the post office for 20 years. She was informed that come this fall, they are out of money to meet payroll.

The internet has been a pain in his a$$ so shutting down the private sector over cyber terrorism. Kill 2 birds with one stone. Shut down private businesses and stopping the people from learning the truth. If the internet go's down---it's lock and load time.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:15 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
Quote:

????!! When has the toxicity of C02 in concentration ever been the argument agains greenhouse emissions? Long before C02 is present in toxic amounts it can (and is) have influence on the thermal mass of the atmosphere. Superstorms like Katrina, floods like Nashville, loss of crops, loss of grazing lands. Don't be insulting and smarmy on top of it. Your questioner made very good points.

H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies