Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 08:05 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Funk View Post
roysoldboy !!! ... Great Stuff !

Ideed one can only imagine what our most excellent George Washington's opinion would be today regarding the pathetic state of political leadership in this country and the gross inepitude of it's actions against the will of the American People ! One can only imagine the incredible shame this great man would experience !

George Washington ..... Now theres another real good reason to be "Proud You Are An American" .....Is it not

roysoldboy for President 2012 ! You have my vote !

Thanks / Old Sgt. Lamar
I get a kick out of hearing the story about Wahington surviving the battle in which General Bradford was killed and the Indian chief said he had told his best marksmen to kill Washington and they said afterward they couldn't hit him. He wrote Martha the next day and said that he couldn't explain why he had survived. Three bullet holes in his tricorn (hat), two in his coat and two horses shot from under him. He was sure that Providence was looking out for him and the Indian chief said years later that Washington had the Great Spirit on him that day. He also said that Washington would someday govern a great nation.

I think that the secular progressives of today are bound to destroy Christianity in any way they can. For example they keep talking about the far right Christians and although I think of myself as a Christian and pretty conservative I just don't see myself as what they are talking about when they talk about born again Christians. I was saved by Christ about 65 years ago but have never been like those who the progs talk about all the time.

Lamar, this is pure fun for me other than the fact that I don't see the Founders as our progs do. I do wonder how that many great minded men got together that summer unless there was some kind of divine inspiration involved. That makes them Christians whether progressives like it or not and this whole thing influenced by God. They are trying to destroy the whole thing and I wonder what they will do if they make it and then find themselves in a state of dhimmitude from Muslims taking over. It won't be funny but they will deserve it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
How can you, with knowledge of historical context, not only read this rubbish without bursting into laughter but post it as some example to which this country should aspire?

How about a deal? I'll admit that America is a historically Christian country if you take this same as evidence that America is also a historically hypocritical, self-serving, elitist, and bigoted country.
No deal. I am sorry about that but glad to see that you admit the Christian part of our country. Hypocritical, yes especially we sat back and allowed progs to take over so many things. Self-serving I can't take since WW I and WW II were won because the US stepped in and although they were protecting themselves they weren't just self-serving in doing so. Go ahead and talk about the period after WW II if you must, but not up to that time.

Elitist? What about Europe from where we sprang? Have we spent billions trying to bring the rest of the world up to where we are? Aren't we getting ready, with the progs in control, to turn the whole darned thing over to the UN or whatever other One World group is here. The people of the US just have never been what you say, but progs won't back off that kind of crap at all.

Bigoted? What a pile of Pelosi!!! Today the majority of this nation is not bigoted although progs will have us all believe that we are. I don't know whether you mean racially or what but time would have taken care of things if we had had a chance.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
He also saw what torture did.

“Should any American soldier be so base and infamous as to injure any [prisoner]. . . I do most earnestly enjoin you to bring him to such severe and exemplary punishment as the enormity of the crime may require. Should it extend to death itself, it will not be disproportional to its guilt at such a time and in such a cause… for by such conduct they bring shame, disgrace and ruin to themselves and their country.” - George Washington, charge to the Northern Expeditionary Force, Sept. 14, 1775

George Washington: No Torture on My Watch « Antiwar.com Blog

Dick Cheney is no George Washington!
How much of the American torture of the early 21st century came from the mouths of men who they released from Gitmo, when in fact little torture had been used? Much of that that we had to live with from Iraq, itself, came from lies by the media, Bush enemies and others who were against the US accomplishing anything.

I wish they had tortured a few more anti-Bushies so they could see how much they were duped by the Muslims and the media.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
What people tend to forget, is that even Mormons are classified as Christian.

And, he is forgetting this little tidbit (not that I'm atheist)

A study done by the Graduate Center of the City University of New York found that the percentage of the population that describes itself as “nonreligious” more than doubled from 1990 to 2001, from 14.3 million to 29.4 million people. The only other group to show growth was Muslims. . .

Atheism is the fastest growing religious identity in America - In The Agora
That time period is just when I think progs had more influence than any time in our history. Secular progressives are determined to destroy the US by doing that very thing to the Christian religion. I think you might find that the school you talk about is City College of New York, in other words, CCNY and you might find that they have been taken in by progressives.

Oh well it is about time for my every other day weight lifting session so I will surrender to you.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I don't see any reference to Jesus of Nazareth. I do see a reference to a "supreme Being" so I don't see how you could characterize him as a Christian.

Washington, like most of the signers of the Declaration and most of the creators of the Constitution were Theists and Deists, not Christians.

There's a big difference.

Yes, I do. Many claim to be Christian, but don't have the guts to "walk the walk" (although they claim to "talk the talk").

Christianity will inevitably become irrelevant, like so many other religions. That's what time and knowledge does.

Too bad your god wasn't omniscient enough to see that.
Secular progressives want to believe all that crap about the Founders but I find their belief very hard to accept since most of the white people in the nation in 1787 were Christians and if not God, what did cause that group of people to gather in Philadelphia that summer. Some people who were supposed to attend the meeting failed for whatever reason. Yep, I believe that the hand of God was involved in that writing of that document that secular progressives of today want out of their way but will never make it.

It worked so well for over 200 years and so many others have tried to copy it but failed because they weren't Christian. I say that secular progressivism will become irrelevant or the nation will die. Study up on the progressive period of the early 20th Century and try to understand what seculars wanted.

You are so right about Christians not walking the walk but the time is coming when they will begin to understand how wrong they have been in dealing with all seculars.

As for Washington failing to say God and using the words of the day to describe Providence, I don't see anything there but just what I said at the beginning of this sentence. It works for seculars, of all kinds, to use to destroy our Constitution and Christianity as a part of the game they are playing. Washington didn't say anything about Jesus because he was talking about God who he considered to be the Creator whether he used the word or not. You of the progressive bent are only able to believe the words of the early progressives who wanted to destroy religion for whatever reason. I just hope that if you people win you are able to fight off the Islamists at least as long as you live. What will you say about them since they don't want to hear that kind of talk either?

Old 06-01-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
No, He was referring to a Supreme being.

If I say something about Al Franken, that doesn't mean I'm talking about Billy Graham.

You should really learn the history of our nation that have large Mason and deist influences.

Washington issued an executive order in 1777, banning the practice of "popes day" which allowed for the burning of pope figures. Does that mean he is Catholic? No, most of those around him said he was very accepting of other religious practices.

Thats not because he was Christian, its because he was a Deist, and accepted all religions, while rejecting many of their laws.
Fling your Free Mason crap far and wide. I am one of those. My father was one of the best ones I have ever known and my oldest son has just finished as the Master of his Lodge. I really think I know more about Free Masonry than any of you progs who want to destroy them just as the early people in some of our southern states did. Spread your crap but don't try to convince me that you know so much as you think.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:47 PM

425 posts, read 366,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Fling your Free Mason crap far and wide. I am one of those. My father was one of the best ones I have ever known and my oldest son has just finished as the Master of his Lodge. I really think I know more about Free Masonry than any of you progs who want to destroy them just as the early people in some of our southern states did. Spread your crap but don't try to convince me that you know so much as you think.
My Mom's side had regular Masons , but the BEz in me comes from Rosicrucian influences. When all is said and done the Chief Corner will appear.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:13 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,674,563 times
It seems as though many americans aren't very well educated in US history. Not that the "official" version taught in our public schools helps much but at least we do have the good histories at hand on the web and a plethora of good books that have come out in the last thirty years. I've always thought Howard Zinn did the best treatment of the beginning days of the colonial revolution in his book titled, The Peoples History of the United States.

Washington and others in the revolutionary leadership were certainly of the upper classes and therefore subject to a bit of disdain on the part of the commoners. The real story of military conscription of those lower classes are truly what defines the aggregate aims of those in the planting class, Washington was not in favor of allowing the expansion of participant government to include his detractors and slaves. I guess some folks need heroes, whether it be Jesus or George.

The "founding fathers" were certainly not the rabid kind of Christian we see around today, their religion was that of the old church, the one that everybody knew and feared. Part of their pulling away from the crown was directly tied to the fact that England had a theocracy at one time and many feared the return of it in the isles. Our new American Taliban is known around the world as some kind of resurgence movement that would like to wed government to their fundamental beliefs.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:03 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
LMAO,

Well, I'll just say that my family is well versed in Mason ritual.

I'm not spreading anything, its a well known fact that President Washington was a Mason. Look at the design of Washington DC, the symbols on the dollar bill, and countless other things the founding fathers did.

You know, that one of the main parts of being a Mason, is that you must believe in a Supreme Architect. That doesn't mean it has to be the Christian God, or any other God that man has concocted.

But, if you're a Mason, you already know that.

Washington wasn't a Christian, did you read the post where I quoted a priest who knew Washington?

Old 06-02-2010, 12:09 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Why?

Because he was a man of his times, and because he was indoctrinated from birth with the beliefs in god that he expresses in this, and many other, statements.

Are you suggesting that he was right? If so, how would he have come to the infallible conclusion that god was on the side of the Americans?

Furthermore, when you are confronted with a war in which the leaders of both sides claim that god is on their side (the Civil War would probably be a good example in which both sides were predominantly Christian), how would you determine which, if either side is correct?
yes yes yes.
he was right then, he is right now.
he didnt change, we did. and for the worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies