Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 09:22 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,339,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
Public employees should not be allowed to organize, anywhere in this country.
Should we allow them out at night??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 05:51 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
From Dr. Britt's 14 Points of Fascism (Republicanism):

10. Power of labor suppressed or eliminated

Since organized labor was seen as the one power center that could challenge the political hegemony of the ruling elite and its corporate allies, it was inevitably crushed or made powerless. The poor formed an underclass, viewed with suspicion or outright contempt. Under some regimes, being poor was considered akin to a vice.

11. Disdain and suppression of intellectuals and the arts

Intellectuals and the inherent freedom of ideas and expression associated with them were anathema to these regimes. Intellectual and academic freedom were considered subversive to national security and the patriotic ideal. Universities were tightly controlled; politically unreliable faculty harassed or eliminated. Unorthodox ideas or expressions of dissent were strongly attacked, silenced, or crushed. To these regimes, art and literature should serve the national interest or they had no right to exist.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:30 AM

4,814 posts, read 3,844,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Yet, you went there, without thinking.
No, I actually was thinking before I posted. We have a huge weight problem in this country. If you don't plan and buy the correct food, you will eat out more times than not and it's very unhealthy. And buying the frozen prepared and canned food at the grocery store is a bad health choice as well.

Anyway, I was thinking about this clip by Obama:

Obama Calls Upon Minorities For Upset Vote In 2010

YouTube - President Obama Announces Vote 2010

And in my warped (lol) humor, I was thinking that there are more overweight people than just minorities, hence, the Christie joke. Sorry, that I offended you with my post. Sometimes my mind just works that way. LOL!

I can be off the wall at times. I heard a comedian say, "If someone asks me if I have a pancho, I would not say no, because I have a blanket and a pair of scissors." That is hysterically funny to me. LOL! See what I mean?

Again, I apologize if I offended you with my post.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:45 AM

5,273 posts, read 7,348,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
If taxes werent so high in that state their pay would go a lot further.

I think they make more then a fair wage for getting so many mths off a year
I agree. Jersey is outrageously expensive and they make good salaries.. Taxes are the HIGHEST IN THE NATION here!! Our taxes go up, up, up! Sadly, the superintendents make WAY WAY WAY too much! Some over 200k! Not fair!!!

Old 06-17-2010, 05:59 AM

13 posts, read 13,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeym81 View Post
See, this is where I get confused. Christie made ALOT of cuts, not only to school aid for towns but other aid in different areas. I got the estimate for my property taxes yesterday in the mail for the third quarter, and its up by 12 percent, 1100 dollar increase for the year. I thought fiscal conservatives where all about lower taxes and less spending. All I see is my town closing 2 schools, closing parks and my taxes going up 1100 a year. My town is a die hard rebuplican town, it's been run by conservatives for the past 20 years, so its not like the dems ran it to the ground. So again why are my services decreasing and my taxes going up?
that sounds like a pretty large increase, but lets assume that this is the average property tax increase in the state this year. This is still also a positive thing for the state in general... municipalities have been subsidized by trenton for quite some time; christy aims to cut tons of state programs, and also cut money to municipalities. Those municipalities, and their residents, can then decide for themselves whether they want higher taxes, or to cut some services.

What town do you live in? republican doesnt necessarily mean conservative, especially in NJ; could be that they didnt cut many services at all over the past 20 years, or there could be other factors at play here.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:46 AM

631 posts, read 720,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RepubCarrier View Post
that sounds like a pretty large increase, but lets assume that this is the average property tax increase in the state this year. This is still also a positive thing for the state in general... municipalities have been subsidized by trenton for quite some time; christy aims to cut tons of state programs, and also cut money to municipalities. Those municipalities, and their residents, can then decide for themselves whether they want higher taxes, or to cut some services.

What town do you live in? republican doesnt necessarily mean conservative, especially in NJ; could be that they didnt cut many services at all over the past 20 years, or there could be other factors at play here.

I certainly dont blame my entire tax hike on Christie, I assume It'll go up 200 - 300 dollars no matter who's in power. But to blame it all on local government to me is alittle silly, Christie isnt perfect.

A good example is my town supplies most of the drinking water to Newark and other cities around NJ, and in return the state paid us back in aid. Christie has cut all aid, so really my town is giving a free service to other towns. This isnt a service my town can "cut", and I think its a example of christie not going at the budget the correct way.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:49 AM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
Just to set my position upfront: (1) I am a Democrat; (2) I was clothed, fed and educated by the Union (parents were 2 union workers).

In saying that, I am 100% in agreement with Gov. Christie on this issue. The unions are killing themselves with unreasonable demands for increases while the rest of us in the country are being forced to cut-back. In my opinion, if the unions truly cared about their workers, they would cut a good percentage of the cushy office/administrative staff and ensure that the benefits went to the actual workers rather than the people running the unions. If not to the general public, then to their own members, they should give a COMPLETE break-down of all employees in the union, complete with salary, benefits and what their role really is.
Look what the unions did to GM and Chrysler, and the California state employees union has put the state into debt to the tune of $500 billion. I'm all for trying to get people a fair deal and fair wage and benefits, but when unions and their members ask for too much... well, its too much, and they need to throttle way back.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:59 AM

13 posts, read 13,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeym81 View Post
I certainly dont blame my entire tax hike on Christie, I assume It'll go up 200 - 300 dollars no matter who's in power. But to blame it all on local government to me is alittle silly, Christie isnt perfect.

A good example is my town supplies most of the drinking water to Newark and other cities around NJ, and in return the state paid us back in aid. Christie has cut all aid, so really my town is giving a free service to other towns. This isnt a service my town can "cut", and I think its a example of christie not going at the budget the correct way.
I agree that this is not what an economist, or a conservative, would call a good cut of spending. Reducing perverse incentives, and increasing incentives for thrift, are the goal; what you describe just seems unfair (unless there is more to the story, e.g.., state build the water conduits.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies