Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 05:52 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,440,437 times

Advertisements

You know what at this point I could really give a crap who is offended or who will be inconvenienced by the law. We need to get this under control. When you have drug dealers setting off car bombs in an attempt to kill US citizens it is time to get tough. If you are here legally you will have ZERO problems. I could careless if the cops stopped me every freakin time I walked out of my house to make sure I was here legally if it will get rid of one illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
A recent poll shows 61% of hispanic americans and blacks oppose the law because of the obvious racial profiling issues. I guess they see more concern about this than whites do. funny, huh.

They should have no problem showing proof of citizenship if they are here legally. End of discussion!

Old 07-17-2010, 06:04 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,413,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Why? Because you don't like the results of the poll? They make you uncomfortable?
Not at all. I just find the poll results strange. My friends say show ID. No big deal. They work hard for their money and don't want to support criminals. They are definitely not Viva La Raza people. They are Americans.

Old 07-17-2010, 06:12 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Not at all. I just find the poll results strange. My friends say show ID. No big deal. They work hard for their money and don't want to support criminals. They are definitely not Viva La Raza people. They are Americans.
Right. Well, depsite what "your friend" says, this poll shows that legal or not, brown and black americans are still a little leery of racial profiling.

What are you throwing La Raza in the discussion for, again?

Old 07-17-2010, 06:17 PM

That would be friends not friend. This law is a law where the benefit outweighs the risk of racial profiling. Sorry you can't see that. I throw in La Raza because it seems to describe people who care more about race than American law.

Old 07-17-2010, 06:39 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
They should have no problem showing proof of citizenship if they are here legally. End of discussion!
Except when someone confiscates your ID. Would you want to have to carry your passport around if you were visiting and don't have an AZ driver's license?

WBIR.com | Knoxville, TN | TN Department of Safety facing class-action suit over immigrant's seized ID

Or if you are riding in someone else's car and aren't carrying your ID. My best friend is Canadian and her husband is an Iranian with Canadian citizenship. They carry their driver's licenses with them, as it is now supposed to be proof of citizenship, but what happens if the police decide it looks fake because her husband doesn't look American enough and has an accent? Then ID is confiscated, car could be impounded, legal fees, etc., all depending on how the police decide to handle it.

Ten thousand dollars in, they don't have their green cards yet, and this law makes them afraid. They went to IKEA a couple of weeks ago (in Maricopa County), and were afraid to do anything but go there and come straight back. And they are legal.

By the way, the AZ driver's license is proof of citizenship, if it was issued after the law took effect in 2004. Mine was issued in 1992, and it doesn't expire until I am 65. I did not have to prove citizenship to get it. This gives police a loophole, if they should desire to take it.

Old 07-17-2010, 06:44 PM

Do you think the risk outweighs the benefit of the law?

Old 07-17-2010, 06:59 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
Quote:
You know, I really do. And not only the risk to individuals.

Financial risk - The law also gives free license for people to sue police departments if they think the law is not being implemented enough. I see a financial boondoggle coming, bigger than already exists with Joe Arpaio.

Freedom risk to citizens - This new law may run afoul of Fourth Amendment protections against unreasonable search. After all, how is littering or driving with, say, a broken tail light, grounds for searching your citizenship history? And, as I've heard from more than one cop, if they can't find something to pull anyone over in a few hundred yards, they're not a very good cop.

Am I pro illegal immigration? No. I want people to come here legally. But I do think that our system as it is currently configured encourages illegal immigration. Work visas for farm and migrant workers need to be fixed so that it's easier for the workers to come and go; a lot of illegal immigrants are people who overstay a visa (and most of them are NOT Mexicans). We need to recognize that very few Americans are willing to pick 2 tons of tomatoes to make $50 a day. So we need to make it legally possible for those immigrants who ARE willing to work for such low wages to come and go and spend time with their families in the off season without having to reapply each time.

Oops, sorry, I got long-winded.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Except when someone confiscates your ID. Would you want to have to carry your passport around if you were visiting and don't have an AZ driver's license?

WBIR.com | Knoxville, TN | TN Department of Safety facing class-action suit over immigrant's seized ID

Or if you are riding in someone else's car and aren't carrying your ID. My best friend is Canadian and her husband is an Iranian with Canadian citizenship. They carry their driver's licenses with them, as it is now supposed to be proof of citizenship, but what happens if the police decide it looks fake because her husband doesn't look American enough and has an accent? Then ID is confiscated, car could be impounded, legal fees, etc., all depending on how the police decide to handle it.

Ten thousand dollars in, they don't have their green cards yet, and this law makes them afraid. They went to IKEA a couple of weeks ago (in Maricopa County), and were afraid to do anything but go there and come straight back. And they are legal.

By the way, the AZ driver's license is proof of citizenship, if it was issued after the law took effect in 2004. Mine was issued in 1992, and it doesn't expire until I am 65. I did not have to prove citizenship to get it. This gives police a loophole, if they should desire to take it.

So weed out the bad cops and move on. There are way more good ones that will uphold the law as it is suppose to be. If we ditched every law because some cops did not uphold it the way they should we would not have any laws.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:

Yes I do. As I said in my previous post. No law is upheld exactly every time. We do what we can to expose the abuse but that does not mean you ditch the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies