Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 04:31 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times

Advertisements

Of course they can be saved, but they need to be attended to in a TIMELY matter. We have experienced oils spills before, you know. If the oil can be cleaned from their feathers, they can survive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 04:37 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Of course they can be saved, but they need to be attended to in a TIMELY matter. We have experienced oils spills before, you know. If the oil can be cleaned from their feathers, they can survive.
Yeah, I guess your word is more reliable than that biological experts' with 20+ years of experience in dealing with these situations.

Old 06-05-2010, 04:38 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,432,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
A recent TV report said that about 1% of the cleaned birds have a chance to survive.
Wait a minute, that's just one opinion. I'm not sure what to believe myself, but some animal organizations seem to think the birds can be cleaned and thus saved:

International Bird Rescue | Gulf Oil Spill Response

Old 06-05-2010, 04:42 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,382,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
What organizations are cleaning oil from bird feathers? Do tell. I will donate time immediately.

Old 06-05-2010, 04:44 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,415,085 times
Birds were cleaned and saved after the Exxon Valdez spill. Why can't these birds be saved?

Old 06-05-2010, 04:46 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
As I see more and more TV of the Brown Pelicans covered in oil and unable to move or fly, I am of the opinion that these birds cannot be saved but we should think about having a humane program to fly over and shoot them with shot guns. Normally I would find such a thing to be aborrent but I think that it would be more humane to kill them then to just let them drown in oil or wither away to a slow agonizing death. What do you think?
Why, according the NPR the pelican in question is doing quite fine once it was taken in.

Old 06-05-2010, 04:49 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,432,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadScribe View Post
What organizations are cleaning oil from bird feathers? Do tell. I will donate time immediately.
http://www.tristatebird.org/

http://intbirdrescue.blogspot.com/2010/06/update-from-center-of-gulf-oiled-bird.html (http://wbx.me/l/?p=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fintbirdrescue.blogspot.com%2F2 010%2F06%2Fupdate-from-center-of-gulf-oiled-bird.html - broken link)

Old 06-05-2010, 05:02 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times
OMG, what a photo op nightmare for the president. The government seen shooting the birds to ad insult to injury. People do not like to see that kind of thing. Why do you think they protray Palin as a killer when she hunts. No one can hunt or shot animals for any reason. Those who get their food at the market don't want to think of animals being killed even if that is how they get to eat. They think those animals come in shrink wrap when they were born.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:03 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,645,564 times
Those saved during Valdez were contained in a smaller area. You could have people scattered all over the beaches on the Gulf and they couldn't help all the birds or other marine life. It's simply too large an area. What if the birds made it to an area where no one was waiting?

Many can't even make it to land. If they can be saved, yes of course. If they can be euthanized humanely, yes of course. But I fear many will just be out in the Gulf and perhaps putting them out of their agony by shooting them is the only way.

It all just sucks. 11 dead and countless birds and marine life dead or dying slow deaths.

What else is there to say.......

Old 06-05-2010, 05:32 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
what if these were human toddlers ? shoot em ? or euthanize, or faith healing ?
But, they are not human. They are even more delicate.

That is why so few will live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies