Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 10:16 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,891,584 times

Advertisements

The US unconditionally supports Israel's right to exist and defend itself, beyond that, depends on what it does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 11:14 AM

206 posts, read 194,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
The US unconditionally supports Israel's right to exist and defend itself, beyond that, depends on what it does.
Exactly. That's all there is to it folks.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:19 AM

2,079 posts, read 4,957,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
Because...

Israel & the Jews are like a Porsche supercar...
Most people support such a high quality flawless car...unconditionally...

Politics made simple...
Arrogance...I think this may have been the problem Adolf had with the Jews.

Last edited by dorado0359; 06-08-2010 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: ...

Old 06-08-2010, 11:21 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,317,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Arrogance...I think this may have been the problem Adolf had with the Jews.
The irony. Maybe some of Israel's supporters are descendants of SS conscripts who feel a sense of guilt? I actually know an Israel supporter who was a Hitler youth volunteer.

Do Israel supporters enter Valhalla if they don't have blonde hair and blue eyes?

Old 06-08-2010, 12:17 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,215,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStupid View Post
Can anybody explain to me why US supports Israel unconditionally? Please don't give me the conspiracy theory.
This is a question I ask myself every day and in truth, I don't entirely know. However I suspect there are many reasons and not one reason in which we do. Some of the primary ones I'd focus on are the following:

The association between the judeo-christian faiths, as peoples religious beliefs are probably the strongest held belief structures one can describe. Considering the power of the contemporary evangelical movement in the US, its a huge voting bloc.

Money, as the cycle between AIPAC (the second most powerful lobby just behind that of AARP) in which lobbyist shower US politicians with money to garnish favor and more money which flows into Israel and in turn back into AIPAC which is then used for more lobbying efforts. While other countries have similar arrangements, none can even remotely compare to the effectiveness of AIPAC, after all, has anyone seen a Presidential candidate shun an AIPAC convention... ever?

I might also point towards Israel's PR department which is probably one of the most effective and well ran PR systems ever devised by mankind. If Netanyahu were to walk up to Obama in the Rose garden and punch him in the mouth, the sound byte would read the next day, "Netanyahu defends self by preemptive striking of a US president of unknown and suspected terrorist ties due to his brothers neighbors, uncle's second cousin who once trained in Somalia" (the 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon and terrorism works everytime)

If you wish to see this awesome PR machine, just do a google search on "Hasbara". You will find such things as Megaphone desktop announcements in which a network of 40,000+ people report news articles which are not favorable to Israel's image and in which supporters of Israel will then shower with pro-Israeli positions and opinions. In fact, I use it myself.
http://www.giyus.org/

Then there are things like the World Union of Jewish students who released a handbook of sorts in which teach students how to deal with criticism and how to be effective at supporting Israeli positions and is released by the government of Israel for distribution on US and world campuses.
http://www.middle-east-info.org/take/wujshasbara.pdf

Lastly, and probably the most provocative is the charge of antisemitism. Make no doubt that antisemitism is very real but also understand that in some cases it is used as a tool to quash criticism in cases where there is no argument. As seen during an interview on Democracy Now with Amy Goodman, former Israeli minister Shulamit Aloni explicitly makes just this statement.

YouTube - "It's a Trick, We Always Use It." (calling people "anti-Semitic") www.looklivespend.com

Now whether one agrees or disagrees and for whatever reasons, I don't see it some nefarious plot as conspiracy theorist may, but instead I see it as simply effective organization and PR on behalf of Israel. In fact I would suggest it as a good model and template for anyone who wishes to be effective in lobbying our government to support a particular policy position, because agree or not, Israel is incredible effective at it.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:21 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,211,180 times
America has worked its way into a situation of support Israel...or else!
American politicians are hostages to Israel.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:36 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,622,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStupid View Post
Can anybody explain to me why US supports Israel unconditionally? Please don't give me the conspiracy theory.
Okay I won't give a conspiracy theory, (there are many) although conspiracy theories are more fun.
imho Israel is our ally and if America wants to keep that relationship, we won't poop on it. Support the ally as one day we made need them to come a running and support us if it hasn't happened already. To have them as an ally would be much better than not any day of the week. Think about it, which way is America better off.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:53 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,215,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
imho Israel is our ally and if America wants to keep that relationship, we won't poop on it. Support the ally as one day we made need them to come a running and support us if it hasn't happened already. To have them as an ally would be much better than not any day of the week. Think about it, which way is America better off.
So it is up to the United States to bend to the will of Israel in order to "keep our friendly relationship"?

What if one day Israel decided it would rather ally itself more closely with Russia than that of the United States, would people in the US continue such support?

While that may seem hard to get ones mind around, considering the souring of recent relations between the US and Israel and statements from Israel's foreign minister Avigdor Lieberman, who suggests that Israel should do just this, makes it plausible.

Israel’s Foreign Minister Cozies Up to Moscow
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/14/we...levy.html?_r=1
Quote:
Israel’s new government has voiced its reservations about the United States’ new policies under President Obama in both of those areas, so Mr. Lieberman’s trip could easily be seen as a tactic — using his access in Russia to suggest that Israel might become less dependent on the United States and look to Moscow for support.
Avigdor Lieberman News - The New York Times
Quote:
On his first day in office as foreign minister, Mr. Lieberman declared that "those who want peace should prepare for war" and that Israel was not obligated by understandings on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict reached at an American-sponsored peace conference in 2007.
So how would Americans feel if Israel decided to ally with Russia instead of the US? Would American citizens denounce their own nation and government in favor of that of a foreign country as some already do?

Old 06-08-2010, 12:57 PM

38,650 posts, read 26,444,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasuba View Post
Most of the people who did 9/11 were saudi, and Americans seem to love the Kingdom dont they?

Did they attack our unarmed civilians because they were Saudis or because they were Muslims?

Old 06-08-2010, 01:40 PM

880 posts, read 2,027,930 times
DEEZUS
Harrymiafl also thinks Turks are orientals?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies