Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Porsche
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 04:30 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
So you can tell from my posts that I haven't driven on a road course?! Really, can you also tell me what I had for breakfast and lunch too?!

Obviously you haven't read too closely because I HAVE done different programs throughout the years at Bondurant in Phoenix. The Z06 I drove on the track was pretty easy to handle in both the straight-away and through the curves, maybe you just don't know how to properly harness the power.

So I do find it relevant for me to comment because I have done some courses. My opinion is every bit as relevant as yours on the topic.

And if the OP wants an opinion between two vehicles, I'll surely give it.

I don't think this whole psychic gig is going to work out for you, better stick to your day job.
Well maybe I did miss where spent some time on track but every post of yours is the same. The Vette is the best choice no matter what the alternative.
There are a lot of great performance cars out there and I am not going to claim any one is better than the other. The Vette is good but there are others just as good and some better.

I've been a HPDE instructor for 15 years so I have driven almost everything at speed so I do know how to drive a Zo6 fast. I have also driven NASCAR stock cars on road courses and it take a pretty good Zo6 and driver to keep up with them.

BTW, Instructing is my only job although it's just PT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 05:14 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,701,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Well maybe I did miss where spent some time on track but every post of yours is the same. The Vette is the best choice no matter what the alternative.
There are a lot of great performance cars out there and I am not going to claim any one is better than the other. The Vette is good but there are others just as good and some better.

I've been a HPDE instructor for 15 years so I have driven almost everything at speed so I do know how to drive a Zo6 fast. I have also driven NASCAR stock cars on road courses and it take a pretty good Zo6 and driver to keep up with them.

BTW, Instructing is my only job although it's just PT.
A Corvette, dollar for dollar, cannot be matched by any other production vehicle. Of course the Porsche 911 Turbo is a better vehicle than the base Corvette or even the Corvette Z06, but a 911 Turbo will also set you back over $140K whereas a Z06 starts at $75K. Dollar for dollar, the performance specs cannot be beat and when someone is looking at purchasing a sports car, I will surely echo that fact.

Of course one can factor in the looks, heritage, interior, luxury, etc which is all very subjective to the person buying the car. Performance is measured in hard numbers and based purely on data, I haven't found one car that matches the Corvette or the Z06 in the same area of price. Are there better cars than the Corvette? Of course but be prepared to spend 2X the money for equal performance.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:04 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Define "not a huge amount of coin".
About what a new GS costs and certainly less than a used Carrera S. I'm certainly meaning the phrase with regards to the topic as 50k is still a heckuva lot of money.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:10 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
A Corvette, dollar for dollar, cannot be matched by any other production vehicle. Of course the Porsche 911 Turbo is a better vehicle than the base Corvette or even the Corvette Z06, but a 911 Turbo will also set you back over $140K whereas a Z06 starts at $75K. Dollar for dollar, the performance specs cannot be beat and when someone is looking at purchasing a sports car, I will surely echo that fact.

Of course one can factor in the looks, heritage, interior, luxury, etc which is all very subjective to the person buying the car. Performance is measured in hard numbers and based purely on data, I haven't found one car that matches the Corvette or the Z06 in the same area of price. Are there better cars than the Corvette? Of course but be prepared to spend 2X the money for equal performance.
Yep. In my case, in 2008 during the cratering auto market I bought a NEW 2007 Z06 for 61k.

I don't track it, I'm not a pro driver, I just love that it's easy to drive....has blistering power and incredible curb appeal and to your point.....you cannot get anything like it for that amount of money.

60k was pretty much the roof of my budget and the choice was easy.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:47 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
What would you pick? Buy a new Corvette GS now or save enough money and buy a used Porsche 911 Carrera S?

I really like 911 but it's too expensive to buy it new. Since I don't want to pay interest to finance a used car, I'd have to wait until I have enough money.
I picked a new Corvette GS over a new Porsche 911 4S and a GT3.

'Nuff said.

(FTR, I am not a corvette enthusiast.)

Old 05-05-2012, 04:52 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Quote:

Porsche's have such a rich racing hertriage compared to the Corvette & most other car makers. What they have learned on the race track has translated to thier cars. I'm talking the 911 here.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Porsche's have such a rich racing hertriage compared to the Corvette & most other car makers. What they have learned on the race track has translated to thier cars. I'm talking the 911 here.
How does that translate to a daily driver?

Old 05-05-2012, 05:05 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
How does that translate to a daily driver?

Go drive one they as docile as can be untill you want other wise. I had an old 911T that was a daily driver many people, have Porsches as daily drivers. It's easier to get in & out of in then a Corvette is.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Go drive one they as docile as can be untill you want other wise. I had an old 911T that was a daily driver many people, have Porsches as daily drivers. It's easier to get in & out of in then a Corvette is.
I have driven them. LOL. New and old.

Last time I wanted a car (2011), I set a 130k budget, cleared my mind, and went test driving.

Porsche, while a good car, is not a good value. And it was actually kind of boring.

I would have felt cheated paying almost twice as much for that car over the GS Vette.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:09 PM

17,316 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I have driven them. LOL. New and old.

Last time I wanted a car (2011), I set a 130k budget, cleared my mind, and went test driving.

Porsche, while a good car, is not a good value. And it was actually kind of boring.

I would have felt cheated paying almost twice as much for that car over the GS Vette.
What was your rationale for buying the GS vs. a Z06/base Corvette?

The GS has the ZO6 "look" but only the performance of the base Corvette. Not sure how that figures into your "value" comparision when you consider the 10K up charge.

I like the look of the GS convertible but the 76K sticker was laughable. The 427 GS (aka Z06 convertible) will be cool but at 100K once again laughable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Porsche