Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Porsche
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 06:38 PM

21,798 posts, read 28,179,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
An ex coworker had a hopped up C5, which he sold to buy a 2007 Carrera. Eventually he decided the same thing-it was an amazing vehicle overall but lacked the visceral impact the C5 had. He sold it and bought a C6 Z06, which he liked much better.

I think very few people can fully appreciate what a Porsche can do, but most anyone can stomp the gas in a Vette and enjoy that.
See, the Z06 did nothing for me. Yes, very fast, handled well - but no finesse, numb steering, awful interior. Felt boring on the street in the curves. On the track it was scary due to the complete lack of feedback and huge amount of power.

I didn't find the Z06 raw at all compared to the Cayman. Quite the contrary, other than the straight line power. It's numb and cushy. No driver involvement. You feel isolated from the road.

Now the Lotus Elise I had, THAT was raw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 11:59 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,603,451 times
Only Porsche I'd realistically ever bother with would be a base model Cayman with minimal fluff options and weight. Just a couple choice go-fast options like sport seats and wheels to keep it ultra-purposeful and make it clear it ain't some some spoiled hairdresser's car. Now you've got yourself a real driver's car that an average guy can enjoy on the street. Not too many normal drivers can take further advantage of anything more potent (GT-3's, Turbos, Etc.), especially on the street. Strictly for showing off and peepee measuring.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:55 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,886,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I had 3 track days on it and over a dozen autocross events, which is where it really shined. Perfect balance, amazing steering, felt like it was carved out of granite, just an amazing car. The people that say it's underpowered I guarantee have zero track experience. The average driver (and even intermediate level track junkie) does not need any more power. Period.
I am anything but the average driver And yes, I raced on a track before I could legally drive on a road... but yeah. Not saying it isn't a great car, it's just not for me.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:13 AM

881 posts, read 2,094,903 times
"The people that say it's underpowered I guarantee have zero track experience. The average driver (and even intermediate level track junkie) does not need any more power. Period."

This. Engraved in Granite, X 10,000,000.

Funny story: years ago @ Road Atlanta Panoz had a few customers/prospects out & about. Loudmouth idiot Philly area dentist was declaiming his driving prowess & set off around the track, then boasted @ his time. Hurley Haywood then took a group in a Ford van for a lap tour - and beat the loudmouth's time...
So yes, I'd say the vast majority of such purchases are ego "boos", nothing more. C'est la vie.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:03 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,300,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
if you have winter weather, you will need another car, whereas the BMW can be driven in snowy conditions with the proper tires.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
I disagree. 911s make excellent snowy weather cars as teh engine weight is directly over the drive wheels. Mine were outstanding in the snow, getting me to work when many people couldn't get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
4 wheel drive and weight distribution means nothing if your ground clearance is only 2". Also depends on the type of snow. As owner of several 4 wheel drivers, I can say it is less significant than appropriate tires (and these 20" low profiles are anything but) and a good clearance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
I was plowing snow up over the hood with my 911 one winter.

Basically, your comments come from someone who hasn't owned or driven one in the snow.

Nevermind the snow-handling prowess of a RWD 911 with proper tires... I'll take a Carrera 4 or an AWD any day. You can disable AWD when you want, engage it when you need it... what could be better?

But whether its RWD or AWD, it's a true all-weather sports car either way. What could be better?

Old 11-17-2012, 02:09 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,603,451 times
Snow performance is mostly the tires. AWD will certainly help you out of low traction scenarios but in general, a RWD car wearing snow tires will outperform an AWD vehicle wearing extreme performance summer tires.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:04 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,123,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Snow performance is mostly the tires. AWD will certainly help you out of low traction scenarios but in general, a RWD car wearing snow tires will outperform an AWD vehicle wearing extreme performance summer tires.
Uh, not exactly a fair comparison now is it? Put those same snow tires on an AWD car and it will be a lot better in the snow than RWD.

Old 11-17-2012, 05:12 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,300,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Nevermind the snow-handling prowess of a RWD 911 with proper tires... I'll take a Carrera 4 or an AWD any day. You can disable AWD when you want, engage it when you need it... what could be better?
Meant to say I'll take a Carrera 4 or an AWD turbo...

Old 11-17-2012, 05:39 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,991,765 times
Read 1st page and this page..... 911 is far better on snow than any BWM any day.......

They both suck to get groceries...

To buy either you need to know you ARE a Driver and you like to DRIVE........

Both are overly sophisticated, so be nice to the techs..... Like bring them cases of good beer, and find out what that IS...

Old 11-17-2012, 06:02 PM

17,394 posts, read 22,144,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayess1 View Post
"The people that say it's underpowered I guarantee have zero track experience. The average driver (and even intermediate level track junkie) does not need any more power. Period."

This. Engraved in Granite, X 10,000,000.

Funny story: years ago @ Road Atlanta Panoz had a few customers/prospects out & about. Loudmouth idiot Philly area dentist was declaiming his driving prowess & set off around the track, then boasted @ his time. Hurley Haywood then took a group in a Ford van for a lap tour - and beat the loudmouth's time...
So yes, I'd say the vast majority of such purchases are ego "boos", nothing more. C'est la vie.

Dentist Doc had more money than talent huh?

Classic Hurley Haywood story...........that guy can drive 911's for sure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Porsche