Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Porsche
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 06:44 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,294,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post

The 911 is a dentist car.
Have you ever driven one? Even the classic Porsches are incredible feeling performance cars. There's a reason they've been successful racing cars for decades, and have a huge following. They ar emuch more than just "dentist cars"

The interiors may be austere, but the ergonomics are faultless. Everything is where it should be. And even if the accelleration can be beat by cheaper cars, the total package cannot, in braking, cornering (which is more than lateral G forces and skidoad numbers), and in the hands of a good driver, balance. the feel of the controls is second to none. braking pedal feel and modulation is incredible, as the weight distribution under braking is perfect. The steering feel of them, even the newer AWD and electric steeringones, is fantastic, with excellent communication and sensitivity. You feel everything the car is doing through your fingertips without being harsh. it's hard to describe, but it's amazing to experience.

I've had 3 911s, all classic air cooled ones, but I've driven many, many more and newer on the track. Corvettes are fast, but they don't compare in overall competence and feedback. these were mine:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 07:13 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,102,084 times
Quote:
The C7 Corvette is a steal compared to way overpriced 911. And the Corvette gives you the option to shift your own gears and use a clutch pedal. The Porsche doesn't. I can't wait to see the new Z06 compared to the 911 for a lower price (not to mention the $60k more 911 Turbo).

/thread
Another insightful comment from someone who can't afford one.

You don't shift your own gears or use a clutch pedal in the latest Ferrari's or Lamborghini's either.

You Corvette fanbois never cease to amuse me. Here's what a real driver has to say about the Porsche vs Corvette:

"Chris Harris likes the C7. He loves the 911."

2014 C7 Corvette Gets the Chris Harris Stamp of Approval | 6SpeedOnline.com

The 911 is a better car, period. Whether you think it's worth it or not is irrelevant. Maybe you should go to Dental School so you can find out someday?

Old 01-31-2014, 07:37 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
My favorite is from the guy who thinks the 911 interior, with its aluminum, leather, and high end materials... is just average.

That guy drives a Corvette, long noted for their stunningly exotic, luxury interiors. LOL

Not average. Polished, nice, but anemic.

At a certain price point, you want *more*.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Not average. Polished, nice, but anemic.

At a certain price point, you want *more*.
If you're talking about the base model 911, then I can see your point. On the 996 gen for example, it's got a bit more plastic pieces than I think it should have based on its price point. But as you say, at a certain price point, you want more... and Porsche gives it to you if you buy a higher end model or option out the base model. The Turbo/GT2 models have very little plastic, everything is leather wrapped. The roof is alcantara. My car has the carbon package... Steering wheel, center console, door handles, dash divider strip, ebrake, and shifter are all made of carbon fiber. The seat leather has the Porsche logo embossed in the leather (another option.) Pretty sure the Nav system was standard for the Turbo, as is the sunroof and heated/power seats. At any rate, you can hardly call it anemic. Only my mothers S550 has more luxury than my car in my family, and it's 5-6 years newer, and a completely different class of vehicle.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
If you're talking about the base model 911, then I can see your point. On the 996 gen for example, it's got a bit more plastic pieces than I think it should have based on its price point. But as you say, at a certain price point, you want more... and Porsche gives it to you if you buy a higher end model or option out the base model. The Turbo/GT2 models have very little plastic, everything is leather wrapped. The roof is alcantara. My car has the carbon package... Steering wheel, center console, door handles, dash divider strip, ebrake, and shifter are all made of carbon fiber. The seat leather has the Porsche logo embossed in the leather (another option.) Pretty sure the Nav system was standard for the Turbo, as is the sunroof and heated/power seats. At any rate, you can hardly call it anemic. Only my mothers S550 has more luxury than my car in my family, and it's 5-6 years newer, and a completely different class of vehicle.

I can only speak to the 2 cars I drove - 4S and GT3.
Boring and boring.

I am sure it gets better the more $$ you spend.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:05 AM

I think it is silly to compare Corvette with 911 outside of bang for the buck (which the vette wins).

Old 01-31-2014, 08:10 AM

The GT3 was designed to be spartan, it's their race car for the road. Even the dash (lower console) is removed for less weight, as are the rear seats, sound deadening material, etc. Lexan windows make sound intrusion much worse as well.

I like driving the GT3, but the previous versions are not fun daily drivers. Too harsh. That lightweight flywheel with an unsprung clutch disk makes for a chattery engine that you hear at idle. Not refined at all, but then again, it's not supposed to be. No idea about the new 991 version.

The 4S though, can be optioned as heavily as the turbo I believe.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:21 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,651,187 times
Quote:
The C7 Corvette is a steal compared to way overpriced 911. And the Corvette gives you the option to shift your own gears and use a clutch pedal. The Porsche doesn't. I can't wait to see the new Z06 compared to the 911 for a lower price (not to mention the $60k more 911 Turbo).

/thread
Too different cars that drive and handle completely different. And if the 911 wasn't such a great car then why would GM always compare and try and outdo the 911. Plus, the Corvette is usually compared more to the 911 Carrera S and not the turbo version. You can still get a manual in the Carrera or Carrera S models.

Yea, the new Z06 will probably be a beast around the track and that feel like riding in a 1880's wagon on the regular road. I also can't wait to compare how the Corvette looks and quality in 5, 10, or 15 years compared to the 911. The C7 hasn't been out long enough, but the C5 and C6 after 5 or more years don't even keep up with Porsche quality. On a C5 or C6 Corvette the paint will fade more, inside knobs will be falling off, seats will look very worn...the car just won't hold up as well. I had a 20-year old Porsche which people couldn't believe was over 20 years old. They would all say it looked and held up better than all these recent sports cars. With the Porsche the stitching was still in great shape, leather wasn't ripped, knobs wer solid, and even opening and closing the door there were no creeks or moans. I have yet to see that in a Corvette. Maybe the C7 will be the exception, but if GM put the amount of quality into a Corvette as a Porsche 911, the cost of the Vette wouldn't be in the the $50k range.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:19 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,551,287 times
Nothing says "Ladies drop your panties" Like a Porsche 911 Turbo

Old 01-31-2014, 09:28 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,498,373 times
Quote:

/thread
You are once again 100% wrong. Just like the Stingray the 911 certainly is avaliable, standard even, with the 7 speed MANUAL with foot operated clutch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Porsche